One last question about the Delorme PN-40.....

With all of your help I've decided to buy the Delorme PN-40, but I have one last question about it before I run out and buy it.....

Do you have to buy Delorme's cache register program to go paperless or can I still use GSAK? Or do they work hand in hand?

Thanks to everybody who's helped me out. I'm so glad GeoCachers have this forum to share information.

Dave

I use the DeLorme Cache Register program with my PN-40 and go paperless. It also loads pocket queries from geocaching.com. The real nice part is it loads your Field Notes from the PN-40 right to geocaching.com Field Notes page.

I vote for the DeLorme Cache Register! :unsure:

Edited by Y2KOTA

Many will chime in to say Cache Register is well worth the $10 investment and I wouldn't argue, but no, it is not needed for paperless caching. Caches can be loaded to the device in two other ways: the "Send To GPS" button on the cache page, or for PQs, loading the unzipped GPX file into the included TOPO 8 software and then transferring it to the 40.

Right now GSAK does not work directly with the 40 but you can massage a PQ in GSAK and then transfer it to TOPO 8. Also we seem to be getting closer to having full GSAK support thanks to the folks at GPSBabel.

GPSBabel should soon include PN support. My expectation (not based on any inside information, just past experience) is that the next version of GSAK would provide PN support. When that happens, GSAK users will have the option of going that channel rather than CacheRegister.

Edited by embra

While an upcoming release of GPSBabel will support the PN-40 (and thus add support for it to GSAK), Cache Register is well worth the $10. It does a lot more than just put caches on your device. It also:

• Lets you skip the "extract from email" step on your PQs. They're downloaded directly from gc.com
  • See how much space you've got left, and stops you from attempting to load a PQ if it won't fit (so you don't get a half-loaded PQ and don't have caches you were expecting)
  • Remove all caches that came from a particular PQ in one step
  • Automatically uploads your Field Notes (and deletes them from the unit) the next time you sync a PQ.

Is Cache Register aware of Bookmark Lists? For example - while planning a day of geocaching, I will put the caches I want to visit into a private bookmark list. I then create a Pocket Query from that bookmark list and run it through GSAK to send to my Magellan eXplorist. Would Cache Register be able to see this bookmark list and pull down the associated PQ?

Is Cache Register aware of Bookmark Lists? For example - while planning a day of geocaching, I will put the caches I want to visit into a private bookmark list. I then create a Pocket Query from that bookmark list and run it through GSAK to send to my Magellan eXplorist. Would Cache Register be able to see this bookmark list and pull down the associated PQ?

A PQ is a PQ. Create the PQ from the BL, run it, then CR will download the PQ & you'll have your caches.

Thanks, guys. That upcoming sale at REI on the PN-30 has renewed my interest in these units. You're right, a PQ is a PQ. I just wasn't sure how well Cache Register interfaces with your geocaching account.

FYI. The DeLorme Earthmate PN-40 GPS Bundle package (with Topo 8.0) will be on sale at REI for $259 starting friday.

Thanks, guys. That upcoming sale at REI on the PN-30 has renewed my interest in these units. You're right, a PQ is a PQ. I just wasn't sure how well Cache Register interfaces with your geocaching account.

Cache Register links directly to your PQ's on GC.com. Once you run the PQ, CR can download it to the PN-XX. You do not need to do anything with the resluting email and attached gpx files. Also, If you happen to have a few different PQ's in the unit at the same time, it can remove one of the PQ's individually. It also uploads the notes that you enter in the field to GC, and then asks if you want to go to the webpage to log them :unsure:

The sales at REI are great for either the 30 or the 40. You won't go wrong with either.

;)

I use the DeLorme Cache Register program with my PN-40 and go paperless. It also loads pocket queries from geocaching.com. The real nice part is it loads your Field Notes from the PN-40 right to geocaching.com Field Notes page.

I vote for the DeLorme Cache Register! :)

PN40 is definitely different than garmin unit i have. I'm trying to download just one simple cache but it is not working. It's been real hard just to figure out how to get around. Just tried to download latest update and couldn't get past first step . Feel real stupid right now and very frustrated. I plan on purchasing Cache Register if I can get past initial stage. Any help will be very much appreciated. I think I will love it if I can understand it. :blink:

I vote for the DeLorme Cache Register! :)

PN40 is definitely different than garmin unit i have. I'm trying to download just one simple cache but it is not working. It's been real hard just to figure out how to get around. Just tried to download latest update and couldn't get past first step . Feel real stupid right now and very frustrated. I plan on purchasing Cache Register if I can get past initial stage. Any help will be very much appreciated. I think I will love it if I can understand it. :blink:

You'll get a lot more help if you're more descriptive when asking. You've basically said "when I try to do stuff it doesn't work" but that's not enough information for anyone to be able to help you get going in the right direction or tell you where you went wrong.

Step by step. What did you do, what was the result.

Don't feel stupid.

First thing, if you have an SDHC card, have the firmware install itself to that in a card reader when you activate the process. Then insert the card into the PN and turn the PN on. The update will auto-install on bootup and then reboot itself.

After that, identify the issues with detail that you're having and you'll receive help by the more knowledgable of the subject.

Edited by TotemLake