empty pages?

baelrati

What do empty/white pages mean? I was logging then suddenly I only get white/empty pages ...

Is that the new way to hide the 'Our site performance is still crap' messages?

[Right now it appears to be working again]

I think that was little uncalled for and bit outside of forum rules........

I noticed that case too myself, opening lots of tabs (mainly when firefox tries to restore after a crash), but this time that was definately not the case. I logged a find, logged my TB-companion out of that cache, closed the tab, and clicked 'log your visit' on the other tab. And sometimes a firefox restore does work without problems. Which makes me believe the white pages are meant to hide bad performance of the site.

I wonder if I should keep my premium membership ... I have the feeling that it gets worse and worse. No point in finacially supporting any more. Maybe I should ask for a partial refund as they are not able to deliver the promised service?

Yeah, that comment in the OP was completely uncalled for especially in light of the fact that this issue (as noted by Markwell) is caused by the individual user.

Ooh, yeah? Why does the site not display an error message then if I was the cause??

<< Please wait 5 seconds till you click next >>

Edited by baelrati

Yeah, that comment in the OP was completely uncalled for especially in light of the fact that this issue (as noted by Markwell) is caused by the individual user.

Ooh, yeah? Why does the site not display an error message then if I was the cause??

<< Please wait 5 seconds till you click next >>

Hardly a tone I would take when dealing with a moderator...

I noticed that case too myself, opening lots of tabs (mainly when firefox tries to restore after a crash), but this time that was definately not the case. I logged a find, logged my TB-companion out of that cache, closed the tab, and clicked 'log your visit' on the other tab. And sometimes a firefox restore does work without problems. Which makes me believe the white pages are meant to hide bad performance of the site.

No, a completely white page is the indicator that your session has been throttled for attempting to access too many pages in too short a time. This has nothing to do with site performance (other than keeping people from abusing it).

No, a completely white page is the indicator that your session has been throttled for attempting to access too many pages in too short a time. This has nothing to do with site performance (other than keeping people from abusing it).

1. it's not a throttling as that would mean you would still get your page but only slower, it's more like a temporary ban

2. the 'thing' appears to me to be dynamic (not working all the time with the same parameters)

3. the situation I reported was not close to abusing, I was only using the site just normally, I mean after logging one cache it's absolutely normal to log the next one, isn't it?

4. why no error page to explain the problem?

1. it's not a throttling as that would mean you would still get your page but only slower, it's more like a temporary ban

2. the 'thing' appears to me to be dynamic (not working all the time with the same parameters)

3. the situation I reported was not close to abusing, I was only using the site just normally, I mean after logging one cache it's absolutely normal to log the next one, isn't it?

1. That's how throttling works on geocaching.com. If you try to access too many pages too quickly, you are locked for a period of time. Just because it doesn't fit your particular definition doesn't alter what it is.

2. It may in fact have variable parameters to keep people from adjusting their screen scrapers to work "just under the radar".

3. Abuse is in the eye of the beholder.

1. That's how throttling works on geocaching.com. If you try to access too many pages too quickly, you are locked for a period of time. Just because it doesn't fit your particular definition doesn't alter what it is.

2. It may in fact have variable parameters to keep people from adjusting their screen scrapers to work "just under the radar".

3. Abuse is in the eye of the beholder.

1+2. It's useless against spiders because it's easy to add a delay. I you run a spider, does it matter if the thing finished in 1 or 2 hours?

3. If the system triggers when somebody is logging normally just like he did many times ago, then it's a bug. And it makes a paying customer unhappy!

While the sniping is uncalled for, the OP has a reasonable point.

A human user that knows how to operate a web browser well can trigger this "trap" reasonably easily. No user experience designer will tell you that a blank page is a satisfying design. A few simple words describing that the user has requested more stuff than the site thinks they deserve would make it much less mystifying than a blank page.

A 503 error page would be even more compliant with the way the web is specified to work.