Map freezes up on eTrex Legend HCx

i've noticed lately (since doing my last master reset) that my map freezes up sometimes, even though the distance shows it as being closer.

so if i view my map, it shows the Geocache to be be off the screen say 30M away, but if i navigate to the next screen that shows the direction, distance, speed etc, it shows it as say 2m away or right on top of it. i wait and wait, and it still shows it on the map to be of the screen when i zoom in, whereas it should show it in the middle of the screen with me right on top of it.

is this a setting that i forgot to change back, a glitch or a defect?

i reverted back to firmware 2.60, as discussed on this site to be quite reliable and accurate.

anyone know or have this problem.

i've noticed lately (since doing my last master reset) that my map freezes up sometimes, even though the distance shows it as being closer.

so if i view my map, it shows the Geocache to be be off the screen say 30M away, but if i navigate to the next screen that shows the direction, distance, speed etc, it shows it as say 2m away or right on top of it. i wait and wait, and it still shows it on the map to be of the screen when i zoom in, whereas it should show it in the middle of the screen with me right on top of it.

i reverted back to firmware 2.60, as discussed on this site to be quite reliable and accurate.

I use the compass screen and never the map screen for caching - so I have never seen this.

Could you have accidently "panned" the map a bit??

I use the compass screen and never the map screen for caching - so I have never seen this.

Could you have accidently "panned" the map a bit??

That seems plausible if it happens once or twice in the field, but should be able to tell if you check it a number of times in a row.

it hasn't been a panning issue, by panning you mean me moving the joystick around to pan the map?

it shows the GEOCACHE off the map, with a line (the route i should take, a direct line) to the cache, but it's off the screen and it doesn't move when i am actually getting closer.

so it shows me on the map to be across a street or railroad track etc, when i'm actually right on top of it. if i power down the unit then power it up and reselect the cache, it then works.

just tried it out in the back yard, worked fine. i'll give it another couple tries out in the field and see. perhaps it was because i was always close to water or something (if that matters).

if it keeps doing it, i'll exchange it.

Edited by brucered