Logging your own hides

What if your cache suffers from "migration"? If yuo had several DNF's to your cache, you search and find the thing 60' away, would you not have a "found it?

Would you log a DNF if you didn't?

If I didn't find my own cache I would replace it or archive it.

If I found it then I would put it back where it belongs.

There are a couple of IMNSHO acceptable conditions where an owner having a 'Found It' log on their own cache is acceptable.

Findature before adoption is one.

One team member finding a cache hidden by another/the other team member is another.

Adoption before findature is the other one.

I frequently see cases where it's an obvious mistake of log type, not my problem, doesn't bother me.

I also see some cases where a non-owner has multiple logs on the same cache...and back-to-back! Usually also a mistake of log type, not my problem, doesn't bother me.

What does toast my cookies is the blatant and intentional multiple logging of events where there were <some number> of temporary caches hidden for the enjoyment of the attendees.

as is the logging of hides hidden by others in your presence.

This is one practice that doesn't bother me. In fact, I plan on doing this myself some day.

On 12/31/05 I helped my daughter place Mogwai's Mighty Multi, helping her select all the spots for the stages and the final.

I haven't been back since, and with my failing memory, I have absolutely no clue where any of the parts are.

When, (if), it reaches a point where maintenance is needed, I will have to hunt every stage as if I had never been there.

That log will be done as a find.

This is one practice that doesn't bother me. In fact, I plan on doing this myself some day.

On 12/31/05 I helped my daughter place Mogwai's Mighty Multi, helping her select all the spots for the stages and the final.

I haven't been back since, and with my failing memory, I have absolutely no clue where any of the parts are.

When, (if), it reaches a point where maintenance is needed, I will have to hunt every stage as if I had never been there.

CHEESEY !!!

ScubaSonic

I don't agree with it personally. Unless it is one of those travelling caches. I had a similar topic (try page 3 or 4 of this forum "Cache Owners Logging Own Caches" and someone kindly placed a link (post #4, I believe) where it stated that this practice is "considered bad form" and "you placed the cache, you already know where it is." "Save the smiley for when you truly find a cache." This was written by a reviewer...

Having said that, the system allows it. Each to their own. There are some people in our area doing it, and justify it by the money going into their hides (we spent the same) and the maintenance they do. Their choice - just because I don't agree doesn't make it wrong.

...The only exception being an Event.

But then the log type is "attended" - not found.

That is considered acceptable? I have never logged any of my own events before, it never even crossed my mind to do that. Probably because I don't log my own hides. (except as mentioned.. the ones I adopted after I had found them months earlier)

But now that I think about it, since I was there at my events....

I will have to go look at other local events and see if those event owners logged attended.

My numbers might have just gone up like 5 finds! LOL

To me a "find" represents not just picking up the cache but narrowing down GZ, searching for clues and then eventually solving the puzzle that is the cache... if I am the one who hid the cache then it just doesn't feel right to claim it as the same thing as finding a cache I didn't hide.

But if you want to play it some other way... *shrug* That's fine. Just as long as your OK with the majority rolling their eyes at your found-it log.

Edited by Arrow42
"you placed the cache, you already know where it is."

Heck, if countering that argument is all it takes, I could log dang near all my hides as finds.

The majority of mine are way the heck out in the swampy boonies, with nary a landmark in site.

I have no idea where they are. When I do maintenance, I have to punch in the coords and find them just like everybody else.

Maybe it's time for a less lame argument against such a lame practice?

CHEESEY !!!

I take that as high praise. :unsure:

CHEESEY !!!

ScubaSonic

Edited because it was apparently a joke.

Edited by mrbort

Does anyone really keep track of such things?

Maybe I'm just not deep enough into the game yet, but it would never cross my mind to wonder or look for or get bent out of shape because someone logged their own cache. I can't even imagine noticing. Is it just me?

Perhaps I'm just clueless. :unsure:

You're doing it right.

Frowned upon...you didn't actually find anything, since you hid it you should know exactly where it is (unless your name is Clan Riffster :unsure: ).

"you placed the cache, you already know where it is."

Heck, if countering that argument is all it takes, I could log dang near all my hides as finds.

The majority of mine are way the heck out in the swampy boonies, with nary a landmark in site.

I have no idea where they are. When I do maintenance, I have to punch in the coords and find them just like everybody else.

As you can see, Riff, I was thinking of you when I made my first reply to this thread. ;)

BTW, I'm planning to attempt Mogwai's Mighty Multi when I go after Geocacher's Bill of Rights. :D

What if your cache suffers from "migration"? If yuo had several DNF's to your cache, you search and find the thing 60' away, would you not have a "found it?

Would you log a DNF if you didn't?

I logged a DNF one of my caches once. :unsure:

(link provided for folks such as fegan who may believe things are as cut and dry as "if I didn't find my own cache I would replace it or archive it.")

The next day or so, found it, put it back in the original spot. I never did post a "found" log, though.

That was a short-lived cache, but it sure was a good one.

BTW, I'm planning to attempt Mogwai's Mighty Multi when I go after Geocacher's Bill of Rights. :unsure:

Kewl! I hope it's still there. If I'm off that day, maybe I could tag along. Ya know, B.O.B. is right across the street... ;)

Am I the only one envisioning Signal in a sheet?

I always wondered who the model was for the virtual icon...

Some people will log a find on a cache they originally hid but then someone else adopted. Keeps the numbers straight. Whatever.

I logged a find on a cache AFTER adopting it. Well, I hadn't found it before! And then someone else adopted it from me, so my numbers are straight, in case anyone actually cares.

I've also hidden two challenges. I finally logged a find on the first one last month. Took me a year and a half. I think I deserved the find. I hope to qualify for the other next month, and will not hesitate to log a find.

Edward

BTW, I'm planning to attempt Mogwai's Mighty Multi when I go after Geocacher's Bill of Rights. :unsure:

Kewl! I hope it's still there. If I'm off that day, maybe I could tag along. Ya know, B.O.B. is right across the street... :o

Depends how much water I have left after doing the others...I'm saving the worst (best) for last. :blink:

I wouldn't do it, EXCEPT, I have recently adopted some caches that I had previously found. So I am now considering deleting my logs...

When this topic first posted I had no idea that I would be adopting three more caches. We found those caches prior to the adoption but those finds will stand.

I wouldn't do it, EXCEPT, I have recently adopted some caches that I had previously found. So I am now considering deleting my logs...

When this topic first posted I had no idea that I would be adopting three more caches. We found those caches prior to the adoption but those finds will stand.

Same here.

You could certainly do that, but then your logs would no longer accurately describe what actually happened.

I found the cache, then I adopted it.

To 'accurately describe what actually happened' is my mantra. Well, within the framework of my minimal ability to actually perceive reality and describe it. :blink:

Guidelines are just that...I'll never log my own cache as a find, but I live on a small island, and have adopted a couple of caches that I once found (after DNFs even!). I don't need the cache police second guessing me, and there is no such thing (aside from Groundspeak, and their nannyish guideline changes). Do what you like, and have fun with it, right up until it interferes with fellow cachers.

That's my .0034 cents' worth. Your monetary value may vary.

A few random thoughts in no order...

1. It's just a game and there are no winners and losers, so don't take ANY of it too seriously. No new car, nor cure for cancer, are on the line here. The game exists for, and ONLY for, your personal enjoyment.
  2. I am in the process of adopting 3 fairly remote caches that I have not found yet. When I go to find them, I will be doing it using only the published posting and my GPSr, and nothing else--no help of ANY kind from the original owner. And to me, this is the fundamental, essential criteria. "Did I find this using only the publicly available posting and my GPSr?" I will log them if, and only if, I find them on my own, with no help.
  3. I often cache with others, though not part of a team, and we each sign and log, no matter who the finder. If you think about it, this is a little grey, but we pretty much all do it.
  4. Zillions of caches are found using "phone a friend" help or mailed hints from others. Another grey area.

Anyway, here is the dichotomy of the scoring system, and the paradox will never really go away:

Per #1 above, no one cares, or should care, how many points you have, their sole purpose is for your own tracking. More finds do not make you a better person.
In this regard, points are immaterial, no one should care, it just isn't ANY of their business.

Balance that against:

Scores do matter. Good or bad, it's just the way humans are. Part of what addicts us to geocaching is that there is a community wherein participation gives you standing. The fact that we log, and keep count, is part of what subconsciously appeals to us and makes all this work. How many of us would be geocaching if this site wasn't here to permanently log, count, and advertise our finds? No one likes rank structures and yet people do not participate in communities that don't have them as an incentive.
In this regard, points, and the integrity of how those points are compiled, do matter and are vital to the survival of the game.

Edited by Sky King 36

OK, He with the most Smileys wins!

How about a handicap system?

Take the number of caches hidden within 10 miles of the cacher's home. Get this number on the first day they have a find and a count from today, average them. Get a multiplier from this number - say 73.754% of the number. Subtract that number from their total finds. Now subtract all finds that were on their own caches. Add 51.725% of their hides to date into the total. Factor in the average D/T by mutiplying the number by that avg.

Or, we could just have no concern what others have as a count. This seems simpler.

1. ...
  2. I am in the process of adopting 3 fairly remote caches that I have not found yet. When I go to find them, I will be doing it using only the published posting and my GPSr, and nothing else--no help of ANY kind from the original owner. And to me, this is the fundamental, essential criteria. "Did I find this using only the publicly available posting and my GPSr?" I will log them if, and only if, I find them on my own, with no help.

This past weekend, I emailed someone a hint on one of my caches. I'll have to remember to delete his find. Edited by sbell111
  1. ...

This past weekend, I emailed someone a hint on one of my caches. I'll have to remember to delete his find.

I dunno... this is always such a grey area. I guess it really depends on the hint. I have only been called or e-mailed for a hint a couple of times, and each time, I ask about where they've looked so far, what their suspicions are... And that way I can give them encouragement and the tiniest hint possible to still keep them "in the game." I think this is a lot more common than people just giving out spoilers. I would be hesitant to delete a find under these circumstances. I have never had anyone contact me again and ask for more. If they did I'd be very comfortable saying to them "if I give you any more, it's too much, and I can't let you log it."

Sometimes just saying "yeh, that was a tough one, it took me three tries, and when I found it, I realized I had already looked right at it" is all the encouragement that most cachers need. You know how we all are... just that tiny hint will get us back in the game, and we'll lay awake at night waiting to get back there and try again.

And as for deleting their find... I am not suggesting that this is the exact criteria that must always be used. I am just saying that, for me, I don't want to have access to more information, or better hints, than any other cacher has access to. My point was that I was going to go ahead and log the caches I am adopting, solely because I am finding them using only the public cache page, no hints of ANY KIND from the original hider.