no question really, well kinda

jbears22

greetings! this is my first post as i have just recently started the sport of geocaching. so far i have logged 5 finds. the first find was nearly right in backyard and i live in a very rural part of iowa, so i was shocked to find a geocache so close! i take my little brother out with me and my mom is getting in to it as well. as soon as i found the first cache, a micro by the way, but not tiny, i decided i wanted to hide one, but wanted to find a few to see what is in them. what a bunch of junk. fortunately i enjoy the hunt or i would have been greatly disappointed. for now i just sign the log and take some pictures.

i have been working on gathering some items for my own cache, tell me what you think:

glow sticks from orschelens

a couple of new keychains with hunting type theme

2 professionally printed post cards of photos i have taken locally

maybe a FTF prize of a gift cert. to the one single place to eat in my little town

maybe a dog toy or two

i should be receiving my newbie kit from cache-advance today!

my little brother really wants to get a travel bug going, but i dont have a lot of faith in the local caches to get them moving. i found a cache this weekend that was supposed to have a travel bug, but i didnt come across one, didnt dig too closely either cause it looked like junk to me.

i am also working on a sig item. i bought some blank wooden nickels and im going to have a custom rubber stamp made of my avatar(tattoo) and stamp that and my name on it. how would i go about getting them trackable on the sigitems page??

i guess i had more questions than i thought! :ph34r:

Glad to hear you're having fun. Yeah, the trade item in some of the geocaches can be disappointing sometimes. I'm more in it for the hunt, but my kids love to go through the stuff when we come across a nice one.

The items look fine. I'd put the postcards in something watertight, though, just in case (even the best geocache container may leak, due to someone not closing them properly). Something like a ziploc, perhaps?

As for trackable sigitems, I don't have any experience. Perhaps you can drop Marky an e-mail through the link at the bottom of http://www.sigitem.com

Hey, I just started too. Welcome! I just thought I'd comment that things like this are something I'd love to see in a cache.

thanks! i really liked the idea too, plus its a bit of self promotion as the site to get more is on the back. if i could afford it i would have more ordered and place them as trade items, but i dont think cache containers can hack it and i would hate to waste them.

i am getting a lock & lock with my newbie kit, but im not sure on the size just yet. i am planning to hide it on the trace we have nearby. also where i have been finding my caches so far.

Just got home and opened up my newbie kit! I am definitely going to have to get a bigger container for my first cache, but it did come with some micros. Should be fun!

It also came with a travel bug, so my little brother is thrilled! He says he wants it to go to Pennsylvania :ph34r: Don't ask me why, he's an 11 year old boy so it's hard telling what on his mind.

Hey, I just started too. Welcome! I just thought I'd comment that things like this are something I'd love to see in a cache.

thanks! i really liked the idea too, plus its a bit of self promotion as the site to get more is on the back. if i could afford it i would have more ordered and place them as trade items, but i dont think cache containers can hack it and i would hate to waste them.

Be careful with the self-promotion thing. While there are no rules which specifically prevent you from adding swag that is self promoting, one of the aspects of the game that many enjoy is that for the most part it's an activity where you can get out to get away from constant commercial solicitation. Please reconsider using this activity, and those that participate it in as potential customers for your personal commercial gain. Groundspeak specifically does not allow geocaches to be placed which are commerical in nature or promotes an agenda. Since you're considering placing these postcards quality photos as swag they could theoretically end up in one of my geocaches and I didn't place them to provide a free "billboard" for others to advertise their wares.

Be careful with the self-promotion thing. While there are no rules which specifically prevent you from adding swag that is self promoting, one of the aspects of the game that many enjoy is that for the most part it's an activity where you can get out to get away from constant commercial solicitation. Please reconsider using this activity, and those that participate it in as potential customers for your personal commercial gain. Groundspeak specifically does not allow geocaches to be placed which are commerical in nature or promotes an agenda. Since you're considering placing these postcards quality photos as swag they could theoretically end up in one of my geocaches and I didn't place them to provide a free "billboard" for others to advertise their wares.

I understand what you are saying and I was only noting that it is an added benefit to aside from the fact that it is some truly nice swag. I don't intend to advertise in anyway, just including these two postcards that I printed for myself in my first cache. It isn't anymore of an advertisement for the site than would be placing a Nike keychain in a cache is an advertisement for Nike. I was thinking of putting a couple of stamps in those particular bags as well.

Anyway, thanks for the comments everyone!

Welcome and all the best to you! It's great of you to include your little brother and take him with you - it's a really good way for family to spend quality time together. I hope your mom gets into it more, too. :unsure:

And the photo postcards are a fantastic idea - I would love to find something like that in a cache. But as was already suggested, make sure it's packaged carefully so it's air and water tight.