People who don't bother to log finds on the website

tonibunny

Hi all,

I've recently found logs that various cachers have made in the logbooks in my caches, but they haven't bothered to log their finds on the website. I guess this isn't really a problem, but I'm worried in case these people are also picking up travel bugs and not bothering to log those either, so they go missing from the caches they're supposed to be in, turn up unexpectedly in other caches, etc. Does this happen a lot, and is it a problem?

Cheers,

Toni xx

Hi all,

I've recently found logs that various cachers have made in the logbooks in my caches, but they haven't bothered to log their finds on the website. I guess this isn't really a problem, but I'm worried in case these people are also picking up travel bugs and not bothering to log those either, so they go missing from the caches they're supposed to be in, turn up unexpectedly in other caches, etc. Does this happen a lot, and is it a problem?

Cheers,

Toni xx

I think generally people who take TBs will log on the website too thanks to the information on the tags etc. Obviously there will be a few people who pick them up without realising they have to log them etc. I don't have any problem with people not logging on the website if they don't move TBs apart from people who go for first to finds and then not log them for a few days. FTF doesn't really mean much anyway as it shouldn't matter if anyones found it before, but a few times when I've been out for an FTF and got to the cache to find it'd been found a few days before but they hadn't logged it on the website annoyed me a bit. Each to their own though :ph34r:

???

It's only a game..............

Nice constructive comments...

As i said it doesn't really matter but since I was going out expecting an FTF when I got to the cache and found it was found a few days before was a little annoying that the cacher hadn't bothered to log their find online.

Some cachers race after FTF's all the time - it's their game and what they like doing, isn't any problem with that - and I can imagine finding out that it had been found some time ago could be annoying to them to.

This gave us a bit of egg on face with a major landowner. A local agreement was being set up a while ago and we were asked to give the warden details of all the caches already on the land in question. Before we had handed over our list he said that he was bothered about a particular cache which he thought was getting a lot of traffic. We did not feel it got many logged visits and it turned out that he was basing some of his argument on having met at least one cacher in the vicinity who told him that he/she chose not to log on the website.

MBF

This gave us a bit of egg on face with a major landowner. A local agreement was being set up a while ago and we were asked to give the warden details of all the caches already on the land in question. Before we had handed over our list he said that he was bothered about a particular cache which he thought was getting a lot of traffic. We did not feel it got many logged visits and it turned out that he was basing some of his argument on having met at least one cacher in the vicinity who told him that he/she chose not to log on the website.

MBF

Excellent, relevant posting.

I guess I'm one of those people being discussed in that I don't bother logging cache finds online. I get my enjoyment from the hunt rather than boasting about it online. I'm not a numbers person so am not interested in flaunting my number of finds for comparison with others here. While out walking I enjoy the solitude that geocaching brings me and in my time I've yet to meet another cacher despite having visited hundreds of cache sites.

As for TB's, no I don't take them and neither do I bother with "swaps" as to be frank I see little point in moving junk around the countryside.

So I'll keep myself to myself as I play this game in my own way thanks.

My sometimes caching partner doesn't always log her finds. She doesn't cache often, and I do keep encouraging her to log them them online, if for no other reason than if she does go caching on her own then it will be easier to spot 'new' caches for her.

Does it matter though if people do not log their finds? It's not the end of the world no, but I think it is useful to do, it allows other cachers to see what is visited regularly and a good cache to place Travel Bugs (cache size permitting of course) that need to be moved on quickly, and it gives cache setters an indication of what is a 'good' and 'not so good' cache in their planning for setting other caches.

Does it matter though if people do not log their finds?

Not really, but is is disrespesctful to those who go to the effort of hiding a cache not to tell them that you've found it, if only so that they are informed that it is still there...

If you've taken enjoyment from a cache, it doesn't take much effort to share a little bit of that with the owner.

Just my 2d worth,

Mike

Not really, but is is disrespesctful to those who go to the effort of hiding a cache not to tell them that you've found it, if only so that they are informed that it is still there...

If you've taken enjoyment from a cache, it doesn't take much effort to share a little bit of that with the owner.

Perfectly put and I'm in complete agreement!

It's a case of being Polite to the cache hider to leave a comment, even if it's just "Found it"!

Jon.

I think it's one of the things that people can do as they like.

As i mentioned before different people do geocaching for different reasons and it's everyone's game so I don't think you can say it's wrong you should do it that way.

On the same note though just because you enjoy Geocaching for a certain reason doesn't mean others enjoy it for that reason. If you find someone's cache chances are they put the cache out for people to enjoy finding, and since noone gets paid for putting caches out saying thank you in the log is a way of showing gratitude.

Likewise some people enjoy to find the odd FTF (myself included). Although it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference really it can be (and was) annoying to find a cache that hadn't been logged as found on the website but had been found a few days before.

So i think since noone can do geocaching on their own (ie there has to be someone else to place the cache before you find it! - well for it to be a challenge anyway!) it's nice to thnink of other players. If you think they may take some joy from you commenting on their cache, like the joy you took when you found it then do it!

:unsure:

I guess I'm one of those people being discussed in that I don't bother logging cache finds online. I get my enjoyment from the hunt rather than boasting about it online. I'm not a numbers person so am not interested in flaunting my number of finds for comparison with others here. While out walking I enjoy the solitude that geocaching brings me and in my time I've yet to meet another cacher despite having visited hundreds of cache sites.

As for TB's, no I don't take them and neither do I bother with "swaps" as to be frank I see little point in moving junk around the countryside.

(my bold)

You really feel that recording one's caching experiences with an on-line log is "boasting"? You suggest that because a cacher chooses to log their finds on-line they are thus "flaunting" their finds for purposes of comparison? :unsure:

If that's the case then, personally, I feel you have a very skewed view of this odd little hobby which we all enjoy.

At this moment of typing I don't even know how many caches we've found - I know it's somewhere between 600 - 700, but for us that means that we've had between 600/700 smile moments over the last 5 years, whilst wandering around the U.K. enjoying new areas. For all those smiles I'm only too pleased to type a few sentences of acknowledgement to the cache setters concerned.

MrsB ;)

I think it is rather rude not to log online to say thank you to or even acknowledge the people who enable you to get your enjoyment from the hunt. Just because you've logged a find online doesn't mean you're boasting or flaunting anything, it's communicating to the person who kindly hid the cache. If someone/a site has given something to you, it's polite to give something back and contribute something rather than just taking.

(my bold)

You really feel that recording one's caching experiences with an on-line log is "boasting"? You suggest that because a cacher chooses to log their finds on-line they are thus "flaunting" their finds for purposes of comparison? :unsure:

If that's the case then, personally, I feel you have a very skewed view of this odd little hobby which we all enjoy.

At this moment of typing I don't even know how many caches we've found - I know it's somewhere between 600 - 700, but for us that means that we've had between 600/700 smile moments over the last 5 years, whilst wandering around the U.K. enjoying new areas. For all those smiles I'm only too pleased to type a few sentences of acknowledgement to the cache setters concerned.

MrsB ;)

I think the comment is perfectly valid it's someone's personal perspective, one that I can readily identify with. Some people enjoy writing long logs, post photo's and maybe even blog about what they do, they're comfortable doing it and often do it very well. Some of us don't feel so comfortable doing this, maybe because we were taught that not everyone was interested in everything we did. For those of us in the latter category to much online posting about our antics can feel like boasting and we may well not feel comforatble doing it. We talk with friends and family over a pint or a cup of coffee rather than writing things on the web for the whole world to see. We wouldn't feel comfortable plastering our antics all over the web because it would feel like boasting to us.

I think the comment is perfectly valid it's someone's personal perspective, one that I can readily identify with. Some people enjoy writing long logs, post photo's and maybe even blog about what they do, they're comfortable doing it and often do it very well. Some of us don't feel so comfortable doing this, maybe because we were taught that not everyone was interested in everything we did. For those of us in the latter category to much online posting about our antics can feel like boasting and we may well not feel comforatble doing it. We talk with friends and family over a pint or a cup of coffee rather than writing things on the web for the whole world to see. We wouldn't feel comfortable plastering our antics all over the web because it would feel like boasting to us.

Can't even be bothered to add a "TNLN TFTC" then? That's very sad. Maybe you should have been taught common manners instead?

Jon.

Boasting? Do me a favour! I would go so far as to say that those who seek caches, do not place caches and do not log on-line are selfish. At least I was brought up that "take take take" is selfish.

As a cache owner I enjoy receiving the online logs even the very brief ones. It lets me know all is well with the cache.

No one is obligated to post online.

From the Finding your first geocache section of the site;

"When you get home, log your experience online by going back to that cache page and using the links provided. The cache owner is automatically notified of your log and is always happy to know about your adventure, the condition of their cache, and any environmental factors".

Are you obligated to do this? No, but then there are very few things that are obligatory. The guidance does, however, serve to illustrate why logging online might be viewed as 'good practice'.

Mike

Wow, this is amazing. Like there isn't enough real discourtesy and disrespect in the world we have to add perceived insults to our list of complaints.

Why bother even getting your hands dirty opening the owners cache or signing their log book as well then? Just go to ground zero, enjoy the ambiance that the cache was designed to enlighten your day with :unsure: and move on. I didn't see any insults, just observations that all take, take, take was rude. ;)

No one is obligated to post online. It rarely if ever affects you and your cache. So lighten up people.

Absolutely no one is obligated to... It's just sad that folks don't show some courtesy and respect in the world and post a thank you or a "Have a nice day". :D

Jon.

No one is obligated to post online.

From the Finding your first geocache section of the site;

"When you get home, log your experience online by going back to that cache page and using the links provided. The cache owner is automatically notified of your log and is always happy to know about your adventure, the condition of their cache, and any environmental factors".

Are you obligated to do this? No, but then there are very few things that are obligatory. The guidance does, however, serve to illustrate why logging online might be viewed as 'good practice'.

Mike

Ah, I guess that means I should start throwing a hissy fit and calling people names. Cool.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Wow! I try and explain my approach and I get accused of all sorts of heinous behaviour. I quote a selection:

I think it is rather rude not to log online to say thank you

it's polite to give something back and contribute something rather than just taking.

Maybe you should have been taught common manners instead?

those who seek caches, do not place caches and do not log on-line are selfish.

I didn't see any insults, just observations that all take, take, take was rude.

It's just sad that folks don't show some courtesy and respect

If anything was designed to dissuade me from going online this sort of reaction was. Thanks folks. :unsure:

Wow! I try and explain my approach and I get accused of all sorts of heinous behaviour.

If anything was designed to dissuade me from going online this sort of reaction was. Thanks folks. :unsure:

No, you weren't accused of all sorts of "heinous" behaviour, people just said that they thought it was rude not to log a thank you as a courtesy to the cache setter. As for dissuading you from going online, you had no intention of doing it anyway so... ;)

As a hider I enjoy seeing that my caches have been found and are appreciated (a long log is not required) and as a seeker, I log to show that a cache has been found - the numbers are for my own personal tally, certainly not the heinous crime of boasting us loggers were accused of :D

Like others have said I like to read comments on my caches, I always spend some time camoflaging the box/creating different caches and appreciate comments as to what other users think of them. If a log reads TNLN TFTC then I accept that it was maybe boring for that finder but at least I know that it is being found.

If everybody decided not to log online then cache hides will possibly decrease because the actual hiders will feel that they are no longer appreciated and then our little game will stagnate.

I am proud of my finds and have always logged each one with some comment as I appreciate that somebody has gone to the expense and effort to place another game piece for me to find and therfore show my appreciation, to me it is basically like sending a thank you note for a gift.

I would be happy to read a log like this <A very nice spot for a cache, thanks>

Maybe cache owners are expected to go and read the log book on a weekly basis so as they can read all of the notes that have been made.

Please note that the comments in this post are not directed at anybody in particular, they are just my personal opinions as a cahce seeker and hider.

Edited by DrDick&Vick

Can't even be bothered to add a "TNLN TFTC" then? That's very sad. Maybe you should have been taught common manners instead?

Jon.

Surely a thank you in the logbook serves that purpose every bit as well as an online log? Some might even suggest that the handwritten words have a more personal touch than the rather impersonal electronic version!

Boasting? Do me a favour! I would go so far as to say that those who seek caches, do not place caches and do not log on-line are selfish. At least I was brought up that "take take take" is selfish.

Maybe they give back in different ways through different sports, hobbies, pastimes or through some other form of service to others?

Surely a thank you in the logbook serves that purpose every bit as well as an online log? Some might even suggest that the handwritten words have a more personal touch than the rather impersonal electronic version!

Thank you uktim, at least you understand my point of view.

I am proud of my finds and have always logged each one with some comment as I appreciate that somebody has gone to the expense and effort to place another game piece for me to find and therfore show my appreciation, to me it is basically like sending a thank you note for a gift.

Good for you. By writing in the logbook I am sharing my thoughts with the cache owner (and any other finders who care to look) and as such I am thanking them.

Maybe cache owners are expected to go and read the log book on a weekly basis so as they can read all of the notes that have been made.

Well yes, it's called regular maintenance, one of the things you agree to do when you place a cache.

I wonder how many people who don't log online have actually placed a cache? For those that haven't then they have a tunnelled vision view of what caching is about, for they haven't experienced the small joy of the emails coming in (especially that very first find email). I can tell you from experience that if you have a good cache, you get good emails, and even several years down the road I still enjoy opening my inbox to several find logs.

As for going to the cache on a weekly basis, well regular maintenance doesn't mean you have to go there continuously, good reporting in logs does this for you.

For me just a note in the log doesn't show enough appreciation for the time I have taken to place a cache. In my opinion it is very selfish, as it takes time to log, sometimes a few hours it is also lazy, and is a take take attitude.

I wonder how many people who don't log online have actually placed a cache? For those that haven't then they have a tunnelled vision view of what caching is about, for they haven't experienced the small joy of the emails coming in (especially that very first find email). I can tell you from experience that if you have a good cache, you get good emails, and even several years down the road I still enjoy opening my inbox to several find logs.

As for going to the cache on a weekly basis, well regular maintenance doesn't mean you have to go there continuously, good reporting in logs does this for you.

For me just a note in the log doesn't show enough appreciation for the time I have taken to place a cache. In my opinion it is very selfish, as it takes time to log, sometimes a few hours it is also lazy, and is a take take attitude.

Surely we should all give freely without creating obligations or in expectation of some form of reward.

FWIW we log most of our finds both in the log and online, own one cache with another one scheduled to be placed after our 100th find (as counted online :blink: ), it was placed for fellow cachers and online logs are of very little consequence to us in the grand scheme of things, we certainly don't feel that finders should log their finds for our sake.

The one's with tunnel vision are the one's who try to impose their own narrow view of caching onto others :unsure:

Edited by uktim

I'm squarely behind Neath Worthies' right to decide whether to log online or not, although I also agree with Blorenge that it appears to be for the wrong reason.

I regard my on-line logs as simply a convenient personal record of the caches I've visited, not some sort of attempt to "boast" or "flaunt" my achievements. I imagine that only a handful of people log online with the thought that it's going to somehow impress people. I don't even regard it as a "thanks" to the cache owner particularly either. It's just my record, and if it's of benefit to others then so much the better: which is why I don't mind it being public.

As placer of somewhere around 100 caches, and whilst respecting Rutson's opinion, I totally disagree that people "who seek caches, do not place caches and do not log on-line are selfish".

Although I like to get feedback, if people want to seek my caches and keep quiet about it then that's perfectly fine by me. Even if they don't even sign the physical log. After all, the alternative might be to just ignore caching altogether; and how would that help?

I regard placing caches to be a selfish act, primarily, because we do it for our own pleasure. The fact that it also benefits others (debatable in some cases!), is a side-effect that also makes it more fun. So if you don't place a cache, you might actually be less selfish than me...

The one's with tunnel vision are the one's who try to impose their own narrow view of caching onto others :unsure:

No. You are wrong in this instance.

The ones with tunnel vision are those that seek to stifle other's expressing their opinions and feelings.

As far as this topic goes, those that feel no need to log online are (and should be) free to say that they act in this way, and why.

Equally, those that disagree should be just as free to say not only that they disagree but why they disagree.

Mike

I'm squarely behind Neath Worthies' right to decide whether to log online or not, although I also agree with Blorenge that it appears to be for the wrong reason.

I regard my on-line logs as simply a convenient personal record of the caches I've visited, not some sort of attempt to "boast" or "flaunt" my achievements. I imagine that only a handful of people log online with the thought that it's going to somehow impress people. I don't even regard it as a "thanks" to the cache owner particularly either. It's just my record, and if it's of benefit to others then so much the better: which is why I don't mind it being public.

As placer of somewhere around 100 caches, and whilst respecting Rutson's opinion, I totally disagree that people "who seek caches, do not place caches and do not log on-line are selfish".

Although I like to get feedback, if people want to seek my caches and keep quiet about it then that's perfectly fine by me. Even if they don't even sign the physical log. After all, the alternative might be to just ignore caching altogether; and how would that help?

I regard placing caches to be a selfish act, primarily, because we do it for our own pleasure. The fact that it also benefits others (debatable in some cases!), is a side-effect that also makes it more fun. So if you don't place a cache, you might actually be less selfish than me...

well here's a surprise for me! I'm usually fully in agreement with HH's posts, but not this time! :unsure:

While I generally don't have a problem with people not logging online, I suspect this is a distinct minority, and I generally get enough online logs to keep us happy! HOWEVER, to take HH's point that placing caches is a selfish act for our own pleasure, this is sort of true, and that pleasure is derived from the logs we receive. If there was no logging mechanism for caches, or no one bothered to log online, then i can guarentee we would only have placed maybe one cache at the most, and maybe not even that, as we would derive no pleasure from placing them.

So if everyone did this, I stringly suspect we would end up with almost no caches to find!

As for the point about regular maintenence to read the logs - we have also placed nearly 100 caches, and I haven't got the time or money to visit them weekly. Maintaining caches doesn't mean a weekly visit! It means dealing with problems!

Back to work I think!

Dave

No. You are wrong in this instance.

The ones with tunnel vision are those that seek to stifle other's expressing their opinions and feelings.

As far as this topic goes, those that feel no need to log online are (and should be) free to say that they act in this way, and why.

Equally, those that disagree should be just as free to say not only that they disagree but why they disagree.

Mike

Weren't you the person who lowered the tone by suggesting that those not logging were being disrespectful?

Express opinions by all means but keep it civil!

If you truly belive that my saying

..but it is disrespesctful to those who go to the effort of hiding a cache not to tell them that you've found it, if only so that they are informed that it is still there...

'Lowered the tone' and wasn't 'civil' then yes. I did.

Glad to do so in fact.

To drag things back on topic, you may have missed I also said

Not really.

Mike

Edited by Von-Horst

well here's a surprise for me! I'm usually fully in agreement with HH's posts, but not this time! :unsure:

While I generally don't have a problem with people not logging online, I suspect this is a distinct minority, and I generally get enough online logs to keep us happy! HOWEVER, to take HH's point that placing caches is a selfish act for our own pleasure, this is sort of true, and that pleasure is derived from the logs we receive. If there was no logging mechanism for caches, or no one bothered to log online, then i can guarentee we would only have placed maybe one cache at the most, and maybe not even that, as we would derive no pleasure from placing them.

So if everyone did this, I stringly suspect we would end up with almost no caches to find!

Dave

Well, I agree with your drift (so we're again agreeing), but the point is that under the current system we do place caches expecting continued fun and pleasure; and this is selfish (although that's not a problem). But it follows that we shouldn't accuse others who don't fit in with our selfish ambitions of being "selfish" themselves.

I have to say I rather like going to one of my caches and reading the actual log book. Now and again theres a little surprise when it's been logged by a muggle or by a non-online logging cacher.

And when I archive a cache, its the real signed log book I keep for the future not a backup of the online logs on a CD.

Whatever floats your boat - go with it, makes no difference to me.

Thank you uktim, at least you understand my point of view.

Good for you. By writing in the logbook I am sharing my thoughts with the cache owner (and any other finders who care to look) and as such I am thanking them.

Well yes, it's called regular maintenance, one of the things you agree to do when you place a cache.

As a setter regular maintenance could well be a year apart unless prompted by an online log! An online log is far more personal and relevant at the time rather than an a possible illegible scrawl some months later when after someone else's log has said maintenance is required because the log is soaked!

In my opinion the more feedback that the cache setter gets about their cache the better, and will enthuse them to set more and interesting caches. Also the whole game is set on the premise that this is how it works! I do not set caches for Muggles to find, i set them for Geocachers who play by the rules, if you dont play by the rules you are not a geocacher but an equiped muggle and i for one would prefer that you dont play with my caches.

This is my opinion and may not be shared by others, but is very probably how others feel. :unsure:

Oh i forgot to say Geocachers log online!

Letterboxers log in the Book!

so if you dont want to geocache then letterbox instead

Edited by burtsbodgers

I always log online but I have a couple of friends who rarely, if ever do. That's up to them. I don't think they are being disrespectful, I just think that for them caching is a way of discovering some interesting places and they enjoy reading the information on the cache pages. I don't think there is any any disrespect either real or implied in that.

If I read a log from a muggle in a logbook, after they have found it, signed the book and re-hid it, this generally pleases me. I do no demand that they instantly go out, create an account on GC.com and log online.

It's a funny old world isn't it? Considering the ranting that often seem to occur when the existing guidelines (or rules) are applied, some people seem very keen to lay on ever more rules and etiquette of their own devising. Leave them to it, I say!

...oh, unless they pick up one of my TBs and don't log them, in which case persecute the unbeliever!!! :unsure::blink:

Yes, I've read those. Maybe you missed something?

Might I quote from the "Getting Started with Geocaching" page:

Easy Steps to Geocaching

1. Register for a free membership.

2. Click "Hide & Seek a Cache."

3. Enter your postal code and click "search."

4. Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.

5. Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.

6. Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.

7. Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.

8. Share your geocaching stories and photos online.

(my bold)

It's explained further here.

Or from the Geocaching.com home page:

Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment.
(my bold, again)

And lastly, from the FAQ

What are the rules in Geocaching?

1. If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.

2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.

3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.

I don't think bold is necessary here!

feel. :blink:

Oh i forgot to say Geocachers log online!

Letterboxers log in the Book!

so if you dont want to geocache then letterbox instead

You know, I think the people who don't log online probably don't care if you don't consider them real cachers. (yes, three don't's add them up :o )

I suppose you could go out and erase their name from the logbook for not meeting your expectations. :unsure:

I do not set caches for Muggles to find, i set them for Geocachers who play by the rules, if you dont play by the rules you are not a geocacher but an equiped muggle and i for one would prefer that you dont play with my caches.

So now I'm not even a Geocacher :unsure:

What's more I don't have your "Permission" to look for your caches! When was the rule introduced that lets you specify who can and cannot play with published caches? If I were you I wouldn't worry because you won't know if I've visited as I won't publicise the fact online. You'll only find out when you check the logbook and I suppose you could always tear that page out.

What are the rules in Geocaching?

1. If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.

2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.

3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.

I don't think bold is necessary here!

I suggest that Geocachers who use other listing sites would find "rule" 3 somewhat difficult to follow. After all, Geocaching.com is NOT geocaching, in the same way that neither is Terracaching, Navicache nor Opencaching. Geocaching is the sport/game/pastime of looking for hidden boxes/interesting locations etc. probably using a GPS.

I can't deny they govern behaviour on Geocaching.com so I guess it could be argued that by NOT logging online I should be banned from using this website. Hmmm, maybe that would solve burtsbodgers concerns.

If the cache was a nice walk in a pretty/interesting/historical place give it a decent write up, even if you natter about the weather/what you did along the way ect :P

If the cache was naff then write........ found it

If you did not find it write.........DNF.........anything is better than nothing!! :blink:

I think if other cachers have the decency to place caches for us to find, then we should have the decency to acknowledge whether we have found it or not. :P

If you write found it I think most placers will know it is either a bloke (sorry fellas ;) ) or it was naff, if you only write DNF then the cache owner is being told there could possibly be a problem with their cache :unsure:

Why have I bothered to place one hundred and odd caches for other folks to enjoy if they give me nothing back? I like to read what people think of my caches the same as I like to let others know what I think of theirs.

And yes I log DNFs too..............lots of them..........is there any shame in a DNF...........I don't think so!!

Another thing that peeves me off is 20 copy and pastes on caches that I made the effort to go out place and fill for other folks enjoyment..........why did I bother? but that's another thread altogether :o

Mandy :P

Personally I don't care whether you log your finds online or not.

But... presumably as you don't see the point in logging online, you also wouldn't be hypocritical enough to rely on anybody else's logs to help you find a cache - or even to see if the cache is or isn't there?

If the reason really is that you don't want to boast about your number of finds, why not add a note instead of a "Found it" log. That way the owner get's their feedback, future searchers get the benefit of your post, but your find count doesn't go up, and nobody but you and somebody reading that particular cache page will ever know you visited. :blink:

"the decency to place caches"

Wow. You know I'm kind of offended that you think placing caches make me a decent person. Kind of makes me want to go find a cache without logging it. That'll teach ya won't it? :blink:

Yeah! lets have a silent protest shall we BD? We will go and do some caches, not log them and the owners will never know... that will teach them! LOL! :)

The good news is that cachers who don't log online are probably even less likely to come into the forums and read some of this nonsense. Ignorance is bliss as they say... I only ever seem to get wound up over caching when I come in here