GPS in the Bahamas

So, I have been out of geocaching for about 2 years and had sold my GPS unit that I previously had.

I want to start Geocaching again AND am going to be goin to the BAHAMAS in a few weels.

Is there a GPS that is best suited for use in the BAHAMAS as well as here in the US?

Any help is appreciated.

So, I have been out of geocaching for about 2 years and had sold my GPS unit that I previously had.

I want to start Geocaching again AND am going to be goin to the BAHAMAS in a few weels.

Is there a GPS that is best suited for use in the BAHAMAS as well as here in the US?

Any help is appreciated.

GPS units don't care where they are. They work everywhere in the world. Get one that has the features you like.

Jim

If you want maps, the answer is yes. You'll find more non-US maps available for Garmin units than any other brand.

Here are some options:

http://rwsmaps.griffel.se/

http://downloads.cloudmade.com/north_ameri...mas#breadcrumbs

http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com/maplist.p...&category=2

Any help is appreciated.

GPS units don't care where they are. They work everywhere in the world.

Jim

what bout one dem Yerapeein countries?? they work there too??

:ph34r:

Any help is appreciated.

If you travel often and this is a priority in the usage of your new GPS, I would recommend a Garmin. If it's not a priority, just a luxury which you can do without most of the time, there are other units which will make you very happy as well. Price, usage and personal preference should weigh heavily on your decision, do some research and figure out what you want most from your new purchase and go from there!

Most mapping units have a worldwide basemap, mapping is really only important if you want routing!

Edit for my ignant spellin porbelms...D'OH

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Any help is appreciated.

GPS units don't care where they are. They work everywhere in the world. Get one that has the features you like.

Jim

Well,

I was in "rural" Nevada near the town of Rachel >>> none of the five (5) Gps'r units in our caravan functioned in their customary manner. Once we departed the area all units resumed expected functionality. All I can say is ... never mind ... I will just go quietly into the night.

Any help is appreciated.

GPS units don't care where they are. They work everywhere in the world.

Jim

what bout one dem Yerapeein countries?? they work there too??

:ph34r:

thanks for the lunchtime chuckle.

Well,

I was in "rural" Nevada near the town of Rachel >>> none of the five (5) Gps'r units in our caravan functioned in their customary manner. Once we departed the area all units resumed expected functionality. All I can say is ... never mind ... I will just go quietly into the night.

Hmmm. Do you like crispy or original recipe?

Most mapping units have a worldwide basemap, mapping is really only important if you want routing!

Or if you simply want to see where you are.

The basemaps are pretty useless except to see if you are on one of the major highways or near a city.

There are plenty of maps (detailed and not) with no routing.

Thanks for the input. I may regret my INITIAL decision as I purchased a MAGELLAN TRITON 200. Heard a lot of horror stories but given that there is a never firmware update I thought I would give it a try as a "re-entry" into the GPS/GEOCACHE community.

I plan to continue looking for another and definately like the support and expandability (ease of by the user and community) of the GARMIN products. Just have to decide WHICH ONE.

Thanks again to all of your input.