Release Notes 08/25/09

OpinioNate

Welcome to the regular monthly release. This is a half-release since a few weeks ago we were forced to release ahead of schedule. Release notes for that build can be found here.

Please let us know if you run into any problems with this release. All unrelated bugs and feature requests should be posted in another thread. Thanks!

Geocaching.com: August 2009

11868: Addition to Geocoin Manufacturers & Resellers tab

Added new vendor to Geocoin page

11793: Provide a warning when people use TB reference number instead of tracking number

Added new warning when a public trackable ID is used to log a trackable

7307: Show "You are not allowing Friend Requests" on the manage friends page

Updated the Manage Friends page to check to see if Friend Requests are allowed. If not, a message is displayed informing the user that they are not allowing Friend Requests and a link to the Account Preferences page is provided in case they wish to change this setting.

6746: Events - make it impossible to mark them as "Members Only"

removed option to mark events as Member Only

10446: 404 & 500 error pages missing page title

Updated the 404 and 500 error pages to have page titles, site navigation and updated text.

11070: Coordinate update failing to change cache coordinates

Fixed failure of coordinate change log

10911: Heading missing on cache listings when printing "simple" cache listing on IE

Updated the Print Friendly Cache Details page to resolve printing issues in IE and display issues in other browsers.

11867: Need to update text for "View Gift Certificate" to reflect that it is now a downloadable .PNG file

Updated text and button on the Gift Certificate receipt page to reflect the change in the way Gift Certificates are delivered to the end user.

11893: Existing friends do not show up when accessing Manage Friends from My Account Details page

Restored Friends List functionality to the My Account section of the site.

11817: Field Notes: Cache names in field notes do not reflect cache status

Archived and disabled caches appear with the appropriate text color and strike out

11807: Traditional caches are the only cache type removed from Google map when ignored

Maps will now properly ignore all caches on ignore list regardless of type

11955: HOTELS: The number of accommodations listed for each city rarely matches the number returned

Reconciled the number of hotels shown per city on the country/state pages with those returned on those cities' list of search results

11956: HOTELS: Number of hotels on city pages capped at 100, cuts out over half of listings on some large destinations

No longer a cap placed on hotel listings for popular cities

11861: Comment posted multiple times to bookmark ratings

Restricted users to a single comment and rating per bookmark list

11948: Users can send emails to themselves

Error now received when attempting to email yourself

11949: Users can invite themselves to be friends (with themselves)

Fix for case 11948 also solved this case

11835: change cemetery wording in Guidelines

Updated guidelines

11894: Find a New Friend functionality does not check to see if you are already friends with that account

Error returned when attempting to invite a user who is already on your Friends List

11960: outdated terminology at "Search for Geocaches" page

Changed term "Waypoint" to "GC Code"

Edited by OpinioNate

Updated guidelines

The word "cemeteries" is only mentioned twice in the guidelines, and both times it's in sections that seem to imply that cemetery caches are highly discouraged, and maybe even no longer allowed. Is this true? Just curious. :mad:

Oh, and thanks for those bug fixes; some of the fixes will be really useful! :mad:

Updated guidelines

Since we don't have an easy way to see the differences between the previous version of the guidelines and the current version, I have to ask... is the addition of "or cemeteries" here what 11835 is referring to?

<LI>Caches placed in areas which are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans (examples may include archaeological or historic sites or cemeteries).

(PS: a Wiki-style delta view of the guidelines would be awesome!)

I think better wording in the context of where this was added in the guidelines would be "certain cemetaries" or "some cemetaries".

Would like to see a Miss Jenn explanation of the new wording in the same style that armchair logging of virtuals was recently presented.

11793: Provide a warning when people use TB reference number instead of tracking number

How does this work, exactly? I had a quick play about and I couldn't find where/when this message appears.

Although difficult, some means of alerting people to the fact that they're about to post a tracking number in a public log would be much appreciated - I see it very frequently, just this afternoon in fact...

[edit] Although re-reading the OP, it's not quite clear if this problem was even what you were talking about...

[edit2] I'm still my own best friend and long may that continue :mad:

Edited by JeremyR

How does this work, exactly? I had a quick play about and I couldn't find where/when this message appears.

Although difficult, some means of alerting people to the fact that they're about to post a tracking number in a public log would be much appreciated - I see it very frequently, just this afternoon in fact...

[edit] Although re-reading the OP, it's not quite clear if this problem was even what you were talking about...

[edit2] I'm still my own best friend and long may that continue :mad:

Often cachers mistakenly try to use the TB reference number to log a retrieval of a trackable item and it simply gave a warning that said "No Match" before. The new warning indicates that they're using the the public reference number as opposed to the actual tracking number located on the travel bug tag, geocoin, etc.

Caches placed in areas which are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans (examples may include archaeological or historic sites or cemeteries).

This is the text that was changed, correct.

... and does that mean they are now prohibited? And if so, are existing cemetery caches grandfathered in?

I think a full explaination up front would have been easier than answering all the questions you're going to receive on this one.

Caches placed in areas which are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans (examples may include archaeological or historic sites or cemeteries).

... and does that mean they are now prohibited? And if so, are existing cemetery caches grandfathered in?

I think a full explaination up front would have been easier than answering all the questions you're going to receive on this one.

It's just a clarification of an already existing policy. Nothing has changed, therefore no explanation is needed.

The new warning indicates that they're using the the public reference number as opposed to the actual tracking number located on the travel bug tag, geocoin, etc.

Oh, I see... I was thinking about when people reference TBs in the log text...

A way of stopping/reducing occasions when people mistakenly put tracking numbers vice TB numbers in Found It logs would be very useful though - it happens often and unless the trackable owner is on the ball, they probably won't ever realise their tracking number is in public view.

Perhaps a message should be displayed on the TB log page so when new users log their first retrieve/grab operation, they would be instructed which is the appropriate number to mention publicly.

It's just a clarification of an already existing policy. Nothing has changed, therefore no explanation is needed.

Something has changed or you wouldn't have changed the wording. As usual we are left to guess at the motivation of TPTB in changing guideline wording or issuing clarifications. Are reviewers now going to put more scrutiny on cemetery caches?

I can guess what happened based on some recent threads on cemetery caches but its always nicer when MissJenn issues an official explanation.

Noticed something new: a red-dot log-type icon, similar to the green "Published" log icon. (Specifically, I saw it at GC55A5, which appeared in a thread I read today.) My best guess is that it means "Locked". Is this right?

That's the rarely seen "Retract" log, isn't it? Although I was under the impression that retracting a listing made it unviewable to us mortals (as though it had never been published)?

Noticed something new: a red-dot log-type icon, similar to the green "Published" log icon. (Specifically, I saw it at GC55A5, which appeared in a thread I read today.) My best guess is that it means "Locked". Is this right?

That's the rarely seen "Retract" log, isn't it? Although I was under the impression that retracting a listing made it unviewable to us mortals (as though it had never been published)?

From the comment I would guess it means the listing is locked. Trying to log the cache results in a listing locked error message.

Jim

The icon_redlight.gif is the Retract icon. That cache was erroneously retracted, then re-published a few days later. For whatever reason the published log was deleted (but reviewers can see it). The cache was then re-archived.

There is no log made for locking a cache.

Hi there!

Out of nothing I (normal member) can not download the coordinates to my Garmin anymore. Two days ago it was working properly. Now my computer sees the GPS, but I can not download, because in the download-window it shows like "can't get it to run". Newest drivers are installed.

What now? Is there a connection to the update?

Hi there!

Out of nothing I (normal member) can not download the coordinates to my Garmin anymore. Two days ago it was working properly. Now my computer sees the GPS, but I can not download, because in the download-window it shows like "can't get it to run". Newest drivers are installed.

I also have this problem. Garmin site reports latest software is in place & GPS is functioning properly. But I also get the "Can't get it to run? Try installing the latest plugin here." message in the Garmin Send to GPS window. That stinks! :ph34r:

Hi there!

I also have this problem. Garmin site reports latest software is in place & GPS is functioning properly. But I also get the "Can't get it to run? Try installing the latest plugin here." message in the Garmin Send to GPS window. That stinks! :ph34r:

I also have the same problem. Tried several times last nite. All new Garmin plug ins are installed and working properly but still unable to send to GPS.

Hi there!

I also have the same problem. Tried several times last nite. All new Garmin plug ins are installed and working properly but still unable to send to GPS.

Garmin made a change recently but we hotfixed it this morning.

Noticed an error message at the top of the page when accessing the next page in one of my bookmark lists:

We could not locate that waypoint name in our system.

Still can properly see/access the caches listed on the page. Tried it with a couple of bookmark lists and it shows up on every page after the first one.

Noticed an error message at the top of the page when accessing the next page in one of my bookmark lists:

Still can properly see/access the caches listed on the page. Tried it with a couple of bookmark lists and it shows up on every page after the first one.

Yes Ive been getting that, as well Im getting caches in my bookmarks that dont appear for awhile after I bookmark them. This happens even when I open the bookmark category all over again.

Also, on cache pages, the map isnt appearing. Im getting a thumbnail of a generic map with a big red x through it. Its quite a nuisance since I usually make a quick check to see where the cache is before deciding if I want to find it. Now I have to make several clicks just to see any usable map.

My browser is Firefox, if that helps.

It appears to be trying to execute the "add bookmark" code every time you change pages. If you put a valid GC code in the box, then change page, it will attempt to add that cache to your bookmark. Since the box is usually blank or just has "GC" in it, the code is causing that error to be displayed when it tries to add an invalid cache to the bookmark.

10911: Heading missing on cache listings when printing "simple" cache listing on IE

Updated the Print Friendly Cache Details page to resolve printing issues in IE and display issues in other browsers.

Cool! And all along, I've been thinking the problem was my printer. :unsure:

Mrs. Car54

When a travel bug is "in the hands of" another cacher, you have the option to "Grab it from current holder: cachername". But if you do that, it appears in the log page for that trackable as cachername grabbed it from previouscache. Is this intentional? It doesn't make any difference in the mileage, of course, but I thought that one retrieved from caches and grabbed from cachers.

Ahem. Total newbie here. This change was made for Uggles like me (barely out of Muggle-land), who, when trying to log their first TB, are too excited to notice that there was a different code stamped on the TB tag. Uggles like me believe the website completely when it says to use a certain code whenever we want to go see what the TB is doing. Thanks to this fabulous new feature (which had the undeserved decency to omit the "Duh" at the beginning, many thanks to the powers that be), the website told me that I should look on the TB tag and use that code instead.

Nice feature. ;)

WellWooly4ewe, Uggle

CEMETERIES .

The thing about cemeteries is that you are allowed to place a cache in them in my opinion IF YOU OWN THE CEMETERY PLOT THEN YOU SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO HIDE ONE THERE . BEING THE LAST ONE ALIVE ON BOTH SIDES OF MY FAMILY I HOLD THE DEEDS TO NUMEROUS PLOTS ,IN 6 DIFFERENT CEMETERIES. SO WITH ME HOLDING THE DEEDS TO OVER 20 PLOTS IN 6 DIFFERENT CEMETERIES THE ONLY THING I CAN DO IS PLANT A GARDEN OVER THE PLOTS , BUT THEY HAVE TO BE CARED FOR OR THE CEMETERY CREW WILL CUT ALL THE FLOWERS IN THE GARDEN DOWN . SO IN MY OPINION A CEMETERY IS NOT OFF LIMITS ESPECIALLY IF YOU HOLD THE DEED TO THE PLOTS.

ONE NOTE , I PLANTED TULIPS AT ALL PLOTS OF MY FAMILY ,THAT WAY WHEN THEY BLOOM IN EARLY SPRING I CAN LOCATE THE GRAVE RIGHT AWAY .(THE TULIPS WERE PLANTED ON EACH SIDE OF THE HEAD STONE ) THE CEMETERY CREW CUTS THEM DOWN THE FIRST TIME THEY CUT THE GRASS IN THE SPRING , BUT THEY DO GROW BACK EACH YEAR. IT HAS BEEN THAT WAY FOR 8 YEARS NOW

AnAnimal2

CEMETERIES .

The thing about cemeteries is that you are allowed to place a cache in them in my opinion IF YOU OWN THE CEMETERY PLOT THEN YOU SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO HIDE ONE THERE . BEING THE LAST ONE ALIVE ON BOTH SIDES OF MY FAMILY I HOLD THE DEEDS TO NUMEROUS PLOTS ,IN 6 DIFFERENT CEMETERIES. SO WITH ME HOLDING THE DEEDS TO OVER 20 PLOTS IN 6 DIFFERENT CEMETERIES THE ONLY THING I CAN DO IS PLANT A GARDEN OVER THE PLOTS , BUT THEY HAVE TO BE CARED FOR OR THE CEMETERY CREW WILL CUT ALL THE FLOWERS IN THE GARDEN DOWN . SO IN MY OPINION A CEMETERY IS NOT OFF LIMITS ESPECIALLY IF YOU HOLD THE DEED TO THE PLOTS.

ONE NOTE , I PLANTED TULIPS AT ALL PLOTS OF MY FAMILY ,THAT WAY WHEN THEY BLOOM IN EARLY SPRING I CAN LOCATE THE GRAVE RIGHT AWAY .(THE TULIPS WERE PLANTED ON EACH SIDE OF THE HEAD STONE ) THE CEMETERY CREW CUTS THEM DOWN THE FIRST TIME THEY CUT THE GRASS IN THE SPRING , BUT THEY DO GROW BACK EACH YEAR. IT HAS BEEN THAT WAY FOR 8 YEARS NOW

AnAnimal2

Please, stop shouting. I'm getting a headache.

Why not post this in the ongoing cemetery thread?

When a travel bug is "in the hands of" another cacher, you have the option to "Grab it from current holder: cachername". But if you do that, it appears in the log page for that trackable as cachername grabbed it from previouscache. Is this intentional? It doesn't make any difference in the mileage, of course, but I thought that one retrieved from caches and grabbed from cachers.

I can confirm this bug.

CEMETERIES .

Sorry for the capital letters I don't usually notice that the capital loock key is on, it was not intential , to be yelling as you put it. Also I am partially blind so I have to keep more attention to the keys as I typr so I do not see the fonts I am typing in. You might also find that I make alot of spelling errors , this is due to having to watch the keys and not the screen.

No offense was intended

sorry

AnAnimal2

Please, stop shouting. I'm getting a headache.

Why not post this in the ongoing cemetery thread?