Garmin oregon 200 is not accurate?

GO4ADIG

I purchased an Oregon 200 series recently, I previously used an Etrex legend. I am findind that the Oregon is completely useless. The compass will say 20 ft to cache and then will suddenly point you 30 ft in another direction. I am looking for a possible fix for this or any suggestions on a paperless gps to replace this one.

yes, I updated it when I purchased it a few days ago, I just updated it again to version 3.70. I will try this and thank you for your response. I really like this unit, I hope it proves itself soon.

ummmmm - there is no version 3.7.............

Hes referring to the 3.7 GPS firmware version :mad:

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

the oregon is not as accurate a gps as your etrex

nor is the oregon as accurate a gps as my map 60 :ph34r:

garmin messes with all other apps but continues to fall way short in simple accuracy

so far the oregon is alot of fun to play with as long as I do not have to depend on it for anything other a pda

I upgraded from the eTrex Legend as well. Even with the very old (by current standards) version of the firmware out of the box it blew my Legend away.

Granted, my old Legend was fine in wide open skies but even leafless trees really messed with it making it difficult to use (but not impossible).

Get the 3.15 beta firmware loaded (3.70 GPS firmware included with the 3.15 software version) and I think you'll see a marked difference.

Remember that the Oregon 200 doesn't have electronic (magnetic) compass (the 300 and 400t do) so like your old Legend when you stop moving you may see your compass spin since it no longer has enough movement to accurately give compass direction. This was one of the reasons I chose the Oregon 400t - even though it's electronic compass could use some improvement, it's better than no electronic compass.

I upgraded from the eTrex Legend as well. Even with the very old (by current standards) version of the firmware out of the box it blew my Legend away.

Granted, my old Legend was fine in wide open skies but even leafless trees really messed with it making it difficult to use (but not impossible).

Get the 3.15 beta firmware loaded (3.70 GPS firmware included with the 3.15 software version) and I think you'll see a marked difference.

Remember that the Oregon 200 doesn't have electronic (magnetic) compass (the 300 and 400t do) so like your old Legend when you stop moving you may see your compass spin since it no longer has enough movement to accurately give compass direction. This was one of the reasons I chose the Oregon 400t - even though it's electronic compass could use some improvement, it's better than no electronic compass.

Is that why many have suggested simply turning off the compass? I owned the 300 and was not impressed with having to hold the unit level for it to work. It sent me off on the drunken bee dance more often than putting me in the right location, I ended up returning it a few weeks later (which may or may not have happened anyway...). The unit may have had issues which made it work this way, I'm not sure.

the oregon is not as accurate a gps as your etrex

How do you figure?

It sucks until you upgrade the firmware and then it works great. :unsure:

Yeah, I have installed all the latest firmwares and beta to date but, I have not noticed any improvments in accuracy.

You may disagree but for the price forked out for the 400t I really thought it would be a more reliable device.

I have posted in earlier threads that if I mark a waypoint and walk away from it, the oregon will not bring me back to the waypoint in 9 out of 10 tries. As near as I could get was about 8' and the waypoint will also drift.

Using the compass mode I have the same problem that this guy has. It will very rarely zero. It will go passed it by 30'N so I go back about 30'S, the unit says now zero is 40'W. That's not very accurate.

And people keep posting up here and on wiki about this very same problem so I would think that -no- the problem is not solved yet.