Inaccurate cache containers listings

bittsen

When caching, I often read the cache page. Not always because sometimes it's just a simple look and you will find type of listing.

When reading a cache page sometimes people will put the size and type of their container in the description. Hey, that's helpful, right?

What bugs me is when people list something like "It's a 4X4X6 container" and then you find out it's a 4 inch diameter by 1.5 inch deep recycled lunch type container. It's not that it's a recycled lunch container but that the size is completely inaccurate. I am looking in places where a 4x4x6 would fit, not a cache half it's size.

This happened on 10 percent of the caches I found on my last outing. It's not the end of the world of geocaching but it is annoying.

It never ceases to amaze me at how many "small" containers there are out there that are the approximate size of a film can. ...

AGREED!!!

About 20% of smalls I have found this year fall into that category. Film cans, altoid tins and even 2 bision tubes.

Altoid tins are actual smalls. Film cans and bison tubes are micros.

Since I've started, I've noticed I reeeeeeally want Groundspeak to add Nano to their cache size listing. I don't know how many nanos I've found that have had "Unknown" as the size listing and that throws me off. Nanos listed as smalls kills me too.

ADD NANO.

[/soapbox]

And yeah, lots of other sizes are wrong too. Bison tubes aren't small. Nor are Nanos.

ADD NANO.

[//soapbox]

I tend to use size as a guideline but when the cache page specifically lists the approximate dimensions I have generally found those to be pretty accurate.

When I see size listed as unknown I assume it is a nano or it is a small/micro in something larger. I personally see no reason for a nano size on the GC.com site.

One more reason to read the cache page and the logs of prior finders. I rarely find that I have any issues with knowing what size container I am searching for.

Since I've started, I've noticed I reeeeeeally want Groundspeak to add Nano to their cache size listing. I don't know how many nanos I've found that have had "Unknown" as the size listing and that throws me off. Nanos listed as smalls kills me too.

ADD NANO.

[/soapbox]

And yeah, lots of other sizes are wrong too. Bison tubes aren't small. Nor are Nanos.

ADD NANO.

[//soapbox]

I've seen so many Nano's listed as an unknown size, it's not even funny. I've probably seen more listed as unknown than micros. Mostly I see these when I surf the new cache listings in NY, Pa. and Ontario. Which I do often. Probably too often. :mad:

As far as mislabeling sizes of micros and smalls, I've seen it both ways. No clandestine conspiracy by micro hiders to list them as smalls. As many matchstick containers and large keyholders I've seen listed as a small, I've seen just as many decon containers and super-sized pill bottles listed as micros.

It never ceases to amaze me at how many "small" containers there are out there that are the approximate size of a film can. ...

AGREED!!!

About 20% of smalls I have found this year fall into that category. Film cans, altoid tins and even 2 bision tubes.

Depends on the Altoids tin. Some of them are quite small and fit the micro size. Others are small. A few are big enough to be listed regular.

ADD NANO.

[/soapbox]

ADD NANO.

[//soapbox]

Nope for me. But I do wish that they'd either get rid of the unknown/unspecified, or restrict it to very special situations where it is hard to really judge the size.

It seems to be a sliding scale.

What might pass as a 'small' here in AZ might be considered a 'micro' elsewhere.

Certainly the CO's experience comes into play as well, so all you can do is say that you thought it was 'more like a micro', or 'more like a small' and move on.

I've been doing something about it!! I am way behind schedule but my database and questionaire for cache containers is coming along. Hoping to bring some small amount of consistency to the sizes.

Altoid tins are actual smalls. Depends on the Altoids tin. Some of them are quite small and fit the micro size. Others are small. A few are big enough to be listed regular.

Huh?!? OK, I'll challenge you to a picture of that.

Don't know that I can. I've only ever seen one and it was full of smaller tins. Perhaps some sort of promotional packaging?

AGREED!!!

The first micros that I was aware of were Altoids tins. At the time I thought it was a silly idea because nobody could possibly find something that small. Micros have since gotten smaller, much smaller, but Altoids tins are still micros.

A small is described on this site as a "sandwich size" container. No way could an Altoids tin be described as sandwich sized - unless you're talking about those sandwiches they serve at high tea and cocktail parties.

I've seen countless micros labeled as smalls, and even one micro labeled as a regular. I told the CO about it, and their response was something along the lines of "It's like a film canister but almost twice as long." That just blew me away, because I don't know any film canister that can hold half a sandwich, therefore it shouldn't even qualify as a small. This point of contention was extremely annoying, since the cache was hidden hanging from a tree, in a way that no real regular could possibly be.

Altoid tins are actual smalls. Depends on the Altoids tin. Some of them are quite small and fit the micro size. Others are small. A few are big enough to be listed regular.
Don't know that I can. I've only ever seen one and it was full of smaller tins. Perhaps some sort of promotional packaging?
Maybe one of the large ones ("The BIG Tin") in this photo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Altoidstins1b.jpg

I've found a cache that used a jumbo Altoids tin too. They seem huge in comparison with the standard Altoids tins, but this site describes them as only 7.5" by 4.25" by 1". They're much bigger than most small size caches, but they're on the small side for a regular size cache.

Maybe one of the large ones ("The BIG Tin") in this photo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Altoidstins1b.jpg

I've found a cache that used a jumbo Altoids tin too. They seem huge in comparison with the standard Altoids tins, but this site describes them as only 7.5" by 4.25" by 1". They're much bigger than most small size caches, but they're on the small side for a regular size cache.

The Altoids Trio in the picture you reference, is the largest of the tins as far as interior dimensions. It is about 2.25 inches tal and about 7.5 inches along one side of the triangle.

3519.jpg

I had one up till about a month ago.

It could be argued that it is either a large small or a small regular in size.

Edited by bittsen

Nope for me. But I do wish that they'd either get rid of the unknown/unspecified, or restrict it to very special situations where it is hard to really judge the size.

Around here 'Not Chosen' means Nano.

No picture, but I have seen a couple of tins that looked like the standard ones, but were about 6" x 8".

Around here "unchosen" is used for odd containers, when they don't want you to know what you're looking for because it's something like ....

Well, the wild pig I found this weekend. Had a lock and lock inside it. Just sitting out in the woods. Scared the pee out of us. Rounded the corner, well off the trail. Bear country.

Or the fake squirrel sitting in the tree with the film can shoved up it's butt.

Or the wooden log hallowed out with the plastic bottle glued inside.

Or the magnetic reflector with the log taped on the back.

Or the metal plate with bolts on it, that magnetically attached to the bottom of the guard rail.

These are the type of things used for the unchosen around here. I think that's what it should be used for.

Then we know to be expecting something different. Something strange.

They just put nano's under the micro catagory, and if you're lucky they wrote in the description that it's a nano.

I've found caches had have been replaced.

A cache listing said it was a tupperware, and I turned up an ammo can. Stuff like that.

I just note it in my log when I log it online. So the next guy knows. If he checks that is.

So I'm not the only one who notices this. It's getting to the point where you have to filter out smalls as well as micros.

Then people will just start listing all their caches as Regular & Large so they won't get filtered, even when they are a small, or a micro, or a nano.

But I will agree. I have some some micro's that were listed as small...

I have also seen some smalls that were listed as regulars as well.

Maybe geocaching.com should re-define the catagories based on the actual volume a container will hold.

Example... A 35mm Film canister will hold about 2 oz of water by volume. So a Micro would could say would be any container with a volume of less than 1 cup. (8 fluid oz).

A Small would be anything with a volume over 1 cup (8 fl.oz.) and less than 1 gallon. A .30 cal ammo can holds about 1.25 gallons.

Regular caches are anything with a volume between 1 gallon & less than 5 gallons.

Large is a volume of 5 gallons or more.

The reason I make this suggestion... is I have seen some caches with containers that hold 2 cups (8 oz) volume being listed as regular, and the same container listed by others as being small.

An exmaple of the 2 cup (8 oz) container is the smaller Ziplock Twist Top food containers. (They work very well as containers depending on the location & how they are hidden.) Do you consider this micro, or small?

TGC

P.S. What do you do when they are listed as "Other ?" ?

Edited by texasgrillchef

It seems to be a sliding scale.

What might pass as a 'small' here in AZ might be considered a 'micro' elsewhere.

Certainly the CO's experience comes into play as well, so all you can do is say that you thought it was 'more like a micro', or 'more like a small' and move on.

Absolutely... Here in Texas everything is BIG :blink: So our micros are probably your Regulars!

TGC

A small is described on this site as a "sandwich size" container. No way could an Altoids tin be described as sandwich sized - unless you're talking about those sandwiches they serve at high tea and cocktail parties.

Haveing been a proffesional chef. Now a retired one. Sandwiches can be of any size. An Oreo cookie by definition of "sandwich" is in fact a sandwich.

So then if a small is defined to be that of a container that can hold a sandwich. Any container that can hold my Oreo cookie is in fact a small. :blink:

But in all seriousnous (sp?) thats why I suggest that container sizes be rated and sorted according to actual volume that they can contain. (See previous post)

Doing it that way, would leave no room for doubt. Other than ones stupidity for not being able to figure out how much volume is in their container.

TGC

Since the geocaching dot com website lists specific measurements for some of it's designations I broke out my calculator and came up with the following (numbers are rounded up slightly (to the nearest inch) for the sake of convenience):

Micro: Up to roughly 2" x 2" x 2" or about 8 cubic inches.

Small: Up to roughly 4" x 4 x 4" or about 64 cubic inches.

Regular: Up to roughly 10" x 10" x 10" or about 1,000 cubic inches.

Large: 5 gallon buckets and larger.

Edited by Jupiter_Jack

Since the geocaching dot com website lists specific measurements for some of it's designations I broke out my calculator and came up with the following (numbers are rounded up slightly (to the nearest inch) for the sake of convenience):

Micro: Up to 2" x 2" x 2" for a total volume of 8 cubic inches.

Small: Up to 4" x 4 x 4" for a total volume of 64 cubic inches.

Regular: Up to 11" x 11" x 11" for a total volume of 1,331 cubic inches.

Large: Obviously enough anything biggerer than "Regular" puts you in "Large" territory.

8 Cubic inches holds about 4.5 fl oz of water. or just a little over a 1/2 cup.

64 cubic inches hold about 35oz fl oz of water. Just over a quart...

1331 Cubic inches is just over 5gals. Yet I jsut looked. they are also saying a 5gal bucket is considered large & not regular.

Personally I would consider a 5 gal buck as large & not regular. I also think that very very few spots would be a good place for a cache that large. Otherwise it would be just way to easy, even if you did camo it. Which in turn for me would make it just as bad as some nanos', micro's and smalls that are kinda boring by themselvs. The only redeeming quality a large container would have, would be if it took you somewhere cool & decent.

You know I really hear alot of bad being talked about micro's, nano's and even some smalls. Sure there are some pretty lame hides. But I have read more than a ton of lame hides that were regular in size as well. Personally I think what makes a good cache site, is one that doesn't have anything to do with size, but how chalenging it was to find or if it takes you somewhere cool.

I can fully understand why sometimes people just log "TFTC TNLN SL" and nothing else for a log entry. It's probably because there wasn't anything exciting or interesting about the cache. It wasn't challenging to find, or took you somewhere cool. I have done that on some caches of regular size! LOL

tgc

... 1331 Cubic inches is just over 5gals. Yet I jsut looked. they are also saying a 5gal bucket is considered large & not regular.

Yes, as I stated previously, I rounded the numbers UP for convenience since 5 US Gallons doesn't divide out neatly into a convenient whole number for cubic volume. Actually none of the measurements do, but I thought it might be easier for someone to visualise a container that is 4" on a side than 3.8673" or whatever not-so-round number the math actually shows.

I'm happy to amend the table to show "Traditional" being a maximum of 1,000 cubic inches, however, which keeps us slightly UNDER a five gallon bucket for a "Traditional" listing, and pushes 5g buckets firmly into "Large" territory.

I wasn't going to quibble about an inch (actually it's closer to half an inch) but I should have figured someone would.

... 1331 Cubic inches is just over 5gals. Yet I jsut looked. they are also saying a 5gal bucket is considered large & not regular.

Yes, as I stated previously, I rounded the numbers UP for convenience since 5 US Gallons doesn't divide out neatly into a convenient whole number for cubic volume. Actually none of the measurements do, but I thought it might be easier for someone to visualise a container that is 4" on a side than 3.8673" or whatever not-so-round number the math actually shows.

I'm happy to amend the table to show "Traditional" being a maximum of 1,000 cubic inches, however, which keeps us slightly UNDER a five gallon bucket for a "Traditional" listing, and pushes 5g buckets firmly into "Large" territory.

I wasn't going to quibble about an inch (actually it's closer to half an inch) but I should have figured someone would.

Take a look at what forum your in :o ya should have known. You know if you use pi to the tenth decimal somebody will complain you where not being accurate enough and should have taken it another twenty+. :unsure: