Newbie with a question

Rainbow of Peace

Something I have noticed where I live....

Someone had left a coin, another went there, said they took coin,left nothing and signed log....

Now- I am all new to this but out of respect and so forth, if you take a coin or anything, are you not suppose to leave another or something in its place?

I have came upon at least 6 different one in the area that this has happened and within the same group of people 3 people.

When I went to a cache and it had something in it, if I took something , I left something - I feel you should leave it in just as good if not better shape than you found it!

So am I doing something wrong or is it the nature of the beast and some just don't play the game the way it is intended?

Edited by paula1964

Someone had left a coin, another went there, said they took coin,left nothing and signed log....

Well, you are asking a question that on the surface appears to be someone leaving a trackable coin and someone taking it, which is perfectly acceptable as bugs and coins are not trade items.

The issue, as I see it, is someone left a collectible coin and someone went out and took it without posting anything online or apparently trading for it.

Yes, people should be trading even or up when they take an item, but unfortunately that doesn't always happen. It's a chance we take by leaving things in the wild. You can decide that enough people do trade fairly so you will continue to leave special items, or you can decide to stop supplying the few people who won't reciprocate.

Sorry I did not explain myself properly inmy first post as I have said, this is all new to me but I am learning and learning more each day by reading and so forth!

As stated there seem to be 3 in particular in the area that I have been watching and I have decided that I will be going OUT of the area from here on out do to caches. :mad: And what caches I do around here will be quick stops only and will be taking and leaving nothing around this area for them... Sad huh.

Edited by paula1964

Unfortunately, it happens. To me, it's even more upsetting when it's a trackable and it appears that someone snatched it up to add to their personal collection instead of moving it along. But, what can you do? I still trade up but I don't post in the log what I've left. That's just bait for the maggots. As far as trackables go, you just hope for the best. Going out of area is definitely an option if you're worried. Try to relax and have fun - don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole barrel.

thanks! i will not let them spoil it for me....unfortunately i have not been able to get out as much as i would like! am going out tomorrow about 60 miles away from my hometown here....i will not be dealing much around the hometown area, seems they are all fairly close knit and in cohoots with one and other from what i see and read!

they will get nothing from me for sure! i have recently aquired some nice trackables and and going to start releasing soon but not in this town! lol

If you are talking about travel bugs or geocoins you don't have to leave one if you take one. Most of these trackables have goals. You should see what the goal is for trackables in a cache before you head out to get them to make sure you can get the trackable closer, and not further from its goal. We have grabbed travel bugs before in Terre Haute and brought them back to the Indy area only to realize we brought them the wrong way and had to take them back.

Trackables are NOT collectibles.

As for regular trade items you should always try to replace the items you take with similar items. We have a small bag we carry with us that is full of toys, key chains, etc.

The rest is just common sense.

It stated it was not trackable but a collectible.

There’s a collectable type of coin called a “Pathtag” (about the size of a quarter). It’s designed by cachers as their “signature item”, and although I try to leave something nice when I take one, there’s no expectation to trade for it. Pathtags are very desirable, so I’m certain they must have a value much higher than the manufacturing cost.

I also frequently leave my own signature items (like pin buttons) in trade for other cachers’ sig items (wooden nickels and such). So the container had someone’s sig item, no longer does, and now there’s just mine. Doesn’t seem fair to the next cacher, now does it? :o

Actually, I don’t mind if others trade or not (although one of my sig items is a "trade-up/trade-even" reminder card). But if you take something, at least mention what it was, in your log. I’m very interested in knowing which things you liked, that I placed.

Edited by kunarion