Feature Request: RSS feed for new caches

Beliaz

Hello!

I would like to have a RSS feed of new published caches so I (and of course others as well :mad: ) easier can be FTF on new caches. As parameters to the URL would encrypted username (or UID) or Latitude and Longitude and also radius in km (or miles) be nice...

like this:

www.geocaching.com/rss/new.aspx?uid=9f6fc386-98d3-4674-af46-fa9ff0679f7f&radius=20

or preferred (then I can check new caches booth near my home and my work location):

www.geocaching.com/rss/new.aspx?lat=63.335225&lng=14.45611&radius=20

/ Bengt-Erik

I would like to have a RSS feed of new published caches so I (and of course others as well :mad: ) easier can be FTF on new caches.

I could see the value in an RSS feed for Pocket Query results. This would serve your purpose as well as many others.

I would also love to have an RSS feed for new caches and pocket query results.

Why do you think RSS would be any better than the current emailed notifications?

I was wondering the same to be honest. RSS is a 'pull' technology (the reader program has to request the data and the server then sends it). Low volume notifications (like new cache notifications) are better suited to 'push' technologies like email* (like the current system), SMS, etc...

Considering that you may only get a handful of notifications a week (leaving aside people who have their notification area set to 50 miles and covering an entire metro area), it would be far more costly (bandwidth, processing) to do it with RSS...

* (In before someone points it out) yes, yes, I know typical email isn't strictly pushed but to all intents and purposes, the way it's used today, it is a lot more push than RSS :mad:

OK. I didn't notice the "Set up Notifications" on the webpage... That will do. // Bengt-Erik

As an aside, I have the notifications come into gmail, which are then filtered and forward to my_mobile_number@x-onsms.com so that wherever I am I receive the notification. The SMS email forwarding is free, but limited to just 3 SMS per day. Should be more than enough though!

Matt

Edit: I will say that RSS for a user's cache finds will probably happen.

I'd love to see this. Could you include all of a user's log types in the RSS feed? Pretty please? :unsure: Make it optional to include stuff if you think some will get upset about having DNFs included.

Edited by rob3k

Enlighten me.

Why do you think RSS would be any better than the current emailed notifications?

I use PQ's to aid in targetting caches. (and I use apostrophes to make acronyms plural :unsure:)

I have no strong feelings about it, but it could be convenient to have some of my PQ's aggregated in Google Reader along with local news and Dilbert cartoons. It would amount to me hitting GC.com a little less which would save me a miniscule amount of time, but hey that's the purpose of RSS.

Though, in this case, the data is tied to a user and/or geography which does not make it a good candidate for RSS, especially when coupled with Nate's point about the undercutting of a Premium Feature. It's fun to think about, but it may not be practical.