Tb and gc's in a cache

smstext

It also depends on who you ask.

Many of the geocachers who got me started believe in an equal or greater trade for swag and trackables.

Some give that standard only for trackables.

My thought has been when I go out caching to have an equal or greater exchange for the day.

For instance, I may leave a TB in cache 1, take nothing. Leave a coin in cache 2 and take a TB. If I don't find cache 3 then I've left more than I've taken. If I find cache 3 I could take something without leaving and my exchanges for the day are equal.

It also depends on who you ask.

Many of the geocachers who got me started believe in an equal or greater trade for swag and trackables.

Some give that standard only for trackables.

My thought has been when I go out caching to have an equal or greater exchange for the day.

For instance, I may leave a TB in cache 1, take nothing. Leave a coin in cache 2 and take a TB. If I don't find cache 3 then I've left more than I've taken. If I find cache 3 I could take something without leaving and my exchanges for the day are equal.

Trackables are not swag. The "take something, leave something" guideline does not apply. You're certainly welcome to leave a trackable if you pick one up, but by no means can the owner of a cache require you to.

Trackables belong to people that have released them and their destinations are determined by chance, fate, and their travel goals.

I'm sure once this gets moved to the TB forum you'll see a great many people agree with this.

I'm afraid I don't agree. I recently went on vacation with more than 50 trackable items to put out, and came home with only 9 found. Out of 60 caches that were shown to have trackables, only 6 had any, and only 1 had more than a couple (and that one had the rule posted on its page, and in the cache ... TAKE A BUG, LEAVE A BUG). Overall, it was extremely disappointing. I'd looked forward to having loads of cool new things to discover and pass along.

I kept wondering, 'where have all the trackables gone??!!" Well, in one local instance, I know. A new cache was published, with 25 or 30 trackables to start it out. The third person to find it took them all and left nothing in their place (a notorious area hoarder), so the fourth person found nothing.

I realize that not everyone has trackables to swap, but finding empty cache after empty cache can be very dispiriting. I did my part by leaving 1 or mroe trackables in nearly every cache with space ... and most of them have already been picked up and moved on, so apparently I'm not the only one who likes to find them.

Personally, I'd much rather find a beautiful coin, or fun travel bug, than a packet of salt, some cotton swabs, or loose buttons.

:huh:

"Ask not what the trackable can do for you, but what you can do for the trackable."

hehee.....I know, it was corny. But I look at it this way - finding travel bugs is fun, I agree. But we are supposed to be the vessels that facilitate the movement of the bugs; they are not for our personal entertainment, even if we do experience joy from finding them. If someone else gets to the TB before I do, great - the point is to get it moving and it doesn't matter who does it. Not to me, anyway.

"Ask not what the trackable can do for you, but what you can do for the trackable."

hehee.....I know, it was corny. But I look at it this way - finding travel bugs is fun, I agree. But we are supposed to be the vessels that facilitate the movement of the bugs; they are not for our personal entertainment, even if we do experience joy from finding them. If someone else gets to the TB before I do, great - the point is to get it moving and it doesn't matter who does it. Not to me, anyway.

I agree. I have been known to take TBs without leaving anything. I have also been known to leave TBs without taking anything. If you can help it meet it's goal or you notice it has been stuck in one place for a long time and you can help to move it, then take it. If you can't help it along, but still want to "experience the joy from finding them", then write down the tracking number, leave them in the cache, and simply "discover" them.