Visiting the US what map?

Hi,

We're of to Las Vegas in a couple of weeks. Last time we went there we didn't have a US map loaded on the 60Csx and although it worked OK we thought that having a US map on it would have made things a little easier.

Looking at the Garmin site they sell a US cities map and a TOPO map. I assume the TOPO map would be the better choice......!

Any comments, suggestions or recommendations would be welcome.

Cheers

TLHM

Hi,

We're of to Las Vegas in a couple of weeks. Last time we went there we didn't have a US map loaded on the 60Csx and although it worked OK we thought that having a US map on it would have made things a little easier.

Looking at the Garmin site they sell a US cities map and a TOPO map. I assume the TOPO map would be the better choice......!

It is not that straight forward and depends where you will use the maps. The topo maps relate to the ground and it is assumed that hills and rivers won’t move much and so they are updated infrequently. They do not include the information about shops, parking etc. and they do not have lock-to-road so you may be travelling along a road where the map shows you to be off it. Topo maps have been recently updated and so, for now, roads, etc. should be fairly accurate. If you are walking over hills or through woods then topo is a good choice. However, Las Vegas is flat desert and the topo maps show far less relevant information than the city maps.

If you want to use the GPS to navigate by road then you'll want the City Navigator maps.

I've got an old copy but they are registered to the old 60CS that I never use, and I use the topo maps for caching with the 60CSx. You can get the entire US mainland onto a 2GB Transflash card, which is nice.

Went to Vegas a couple of years ago, only had what came on my Etrex legend and managed ok (mind you, one of the local cachers kindly took me out one evening) didn't bag as many caches as I would have liked (well you never do, do you), recently went to Florida and had City Navigator North America NT which worked fine in combo with Tomtom + USA Card.