Isn't a multicache just a handlful of finds for one smiley?

bittsen

I agree with the OP. Let's not stop at multis however. Why should I hike 6 miles to a traditional cache and only get 1 smiley, the same a cache and dash?

Why should I spent 6 hours hunting a 5 star difficulty cache and only get one smiley?

It is a rip off I say!

Here is what I propose. After an extensive study I determined that the average cache takes 8 minutes and 53 seconds to find. My idea works kind of like a taxi meter, which charges you for mileage as well as time sitting in traffic.

Let's round the 8:33 number upward to 9 minutes. Every 9 minutes you spend on a cache, whether it is hiking there or actually searching for it you get a smiley. Add one more smiley for actually finding it. If you DNF the cache, you don't get that extra smiley, but at least your time wasn't wasted because you can log a bunch of smileys depending on how long it took.

Stop padding your numbers! 8.33 rounds DOWN to 8!

(this post completely in jest)

But 8:33 (as in 8 min 33 seconds) rounds UP to 9.

I agree with the OP. Let's not stop at multis however. Why should I hike 6 miles to a traditional cache and only get 1 smiley, the same a cache and dash?

Why should I spent 6 hours hunting a 5 star difficulty cache and only get one smiley?

It is a rip off I say!

Here is what I propose. After an extensive study I determined that the average cache takes 8 minutes and 53 seconds to find. My idea works kind of like a taxi meter, which charges you for mileage as well as time sitting in traffic.

Let's round the 8:33 number upward to 9 minutes. Every 9 minutes you spend on a cache, whether it is hiking there or actually searching for it you get a smiley. Add one more smiley for actually finding it. If you DNF the cache, you don't get that extra smiley, but at least your time wasn't wasted because you can log a bunch of smileys depending on how long it took.

Stop padding your numbers! 8.33 rounds DOWN to 8!

(this post completely in jest)

Actually it should be 9 minutes, he mistyped the second number. It should've been 8:53 which rounds to 9 (see the bolded part above).

It just occurred to me what a ripoff that is. You search for two, three, five, ten....or so caches and all you get to log is a SINGLE smiley?

Who created this ripoff. I want a smiley for each find!! And while I'm at it, why not make the final smiley of a milti worth more than one smiley?

Maybe you could have it where you find four legs and get nothing but the final is where you get to get a smiley for all the caches you found in the multi. If it's 10 stages, you get 10 smileys for finding the final.

What's the deal!?

So you want people to visit a few locations, all within 170m of each other. What do you do? :ph34r:

Multis can be helpful in areas that you'd like people to see but there is no place for a regular cache at the site.

I do multi puzzle caches. I try to mention how long it would take a seasoned cacher to do the cache so they can decide whether or not to do it, but I had better luck getting people to do my caches when I didn't say how long they'd take and they stumbled onto them. If they did one they ususally did them all in my series. This year only the three die hards who love doing my puzzle caches have done them. I may give them up. A lot of work to have them sit there.

Each cache involves solving a clue that takes you to the next clue, that eventually takes you to a cache. The one I just did involves solving a clue using roman numbers for the coordinates. Roman numeral equivalants are included. All you have to do is work them out. The second clue involves removing unnecessary information which leaves you with the answer. The third involves a mirror becuase the clue is backward. The next that leads to a cache is another elimination puzzle.

Maybe people would prefer doing these caches as singles with only one puzzle. (More smilies- less brain power required)

I do multi puzzle caches. . . This year only the three die hards who love doing my puzzle caches have done them. I may give them up. . . . Maybe people would prefer doing these caches as singles with only one puzzle. (More smilies- less brain power required)

Some of my own traditionals that are easy to find only get that number of visitors a year. I am sure that people would prefer if each stage were a single cache -- even if it does not mean that there is less brainpower involved to get the final puzzle. But on the other hand, there is a cacher not too far from where I live that is renowned for multi-puzzles that often require more than one long-hike to an area to complete the puzzles or find very small containers hidden in the woods without any real clues. I tend to ignore such hides, but there is a small group of people dedicated to finding them -- although I understand that there is at least one of his that no one has found. So if you place your cache with that group in mind, and they have fun doing them, then I hope you will decide that it is worth the effort.

It just occurred to me what a ripoff that is. You search for two, three, five, ten....or so caches and all you get to log is a SINGLE smiley?

Who created this ripoff. I want a smiley for each find!! And while I'm at it, why not make the final smiley of a milti worth more than one smiley?

Maybe you could have it where you find four legs and get nothing but the final is where you get to get a smiley for all the caches you found in the multi. If it's 10 stages, you get 10 smileys for finding the final.

What's the deal!?

Yes and while we're at it... I've had to find my wallet and keys every morning since I started working. Factoring out the weekends, holidays, and vacations that's still 9600 mornings so 19,200 finds. The last 8 years I also had to find my cell phone.. another 1920 finds. I've found over 6000 Orienteering controls, found my car in a parking lot at least once a week..2600 more finds. The list goes on and on... I want my Smileys!!!!!!!!

One long hike up the mountain, over the mountain, for one smiley is the way to go. If you want numbers stay in town and whine about the muggles and traffic.

With all due respect, I would rather get four of five smileysfor crossing over that mountain, preferably by different cache owners. More people to thank and more logs to write, relating my experience.

I did my first multi in 2005. It was a four part-er, utilizing micros for the first three parts. It was up a very steep exposed, fire road, leading to a popular peak. The micros were very difficult, and It was about a 900' gain. Worse, the road was totally exposed, with absolutely no cover from vegetation. It was at least 105 degree, in temperatures.

I have to admit. Even though I was new then and have a different perspective on things now, I still think that that hike was worth four of those little yellow guys. At the time, I felt cheated. I also felt that the hider had monopolized the trail. It's four years later and I have learned not to take the whole thing so seriously. Those that know me, know that I will organize a 12-15 mile mike though rough terrain, just so they can get those smileys. (I already have them).

I jus gotta add that the "journey" would be no less valuable if one got smileys for each stage.

Multis offer no more "adventure" than a string of singles that lead to the same destination but give you multiple smileys as you progress . . . in that case they ARE a ripoff.

But, all that said and true . . . cache your way and leave others to their own.

The only real problem I have with multis is that once having found many/most stages and you then find that one stage is missing/lost and you can not, then, enjoy the final and logging a find at all. They can be a maintenance nightmare, progressively worse as the number of stages increase.