Earthcaches and Travelbugs/Geocoins

AZcachemeister

Dunno, but I agree they should be able to visit! I just took pics of a TB at an EC this weekend and will just be posting a note to the TB page :P

Virtuals will allow it, but it is against GC.com if I remember right...somewhere I recall reading that GC.com can even lock a Travel bug/coin listing if such logging is made, which seems really silly to me! Lets see em lock the Green Jeep I logged for miles and pics at a cool Virtual before I knew! LOL

Ill have to check on that, cuz it just seems too silly to be true!

In theory, travelers are supposed to be put in the boxes that are the caches. With virtuals and EarthCaches, there are no boxes, and therefore the travelers could not be inside them. It's one of those ways that the powers that be tell us that travelers were intended for swapping hands and not logging mileage.

Its not about the mileage either, its about the places they've been :) Its neat to see where they have traveled and some EC's are the coolest! I really dont see a problem at all, container or not, the traveler "traveled" there.

In this picture of the green jeep taken in 07, it was actually INSIDE the virtual! :o Davis Stonehenge, holes went right through the pillars!

27474fe8-6dfe-4d2e-ab62-33db19876fc7.jpg

Even if it didnt have the holes, It'd still make for a cool pic...

de77ed17-a42b-479f-8d3b-b8c9204702c2.jpg

AND, it was there, so fortunatley you can physically log em, and I did... look, now I got these cool pics today to show you how cool it is to be able to log your visits at the places they've been! :P

UNFORTUNATLEY, this poor lil travel bug will never physically make to the EC it traveled to this weekend [:)] Nobody cares, no body wants a silly Earthcache to be part of the TB's adventure! I mean its lame right??? Who wants to visit a silly place such as a newly discovered section of the San Andreas fault system, which shows obvious evidence of a rarely "SEEN" fault. What...not cool enough to visit??? Hmmm Guess Ill just have to log it in the nearby micro it wont fit in and tell em all about it, being that it was never there! DOH ;):ph34r:

e019d1bd-bf41-4ba5-ae5d-b5b8ae83fee2.jpg

"OH dont worry lil TB, we'll log you in the next cache right away, cuz its a "container"(with no significanced[/size=1]) Everyone knows a container is a "REAL" Cache and these others are just well...somethin else!" :) *wipes tear from TB eye* ... "Just remember, you were never here!" :D

Kay, sorry bout that :D

True - can we raise this as an official request for TB's to be logged into EarthCaches?

How could we propose this to GS? There are so mnay really great EC's and now that we have an EC coin - I'd LOVE my coin to reach EC's and EC enthusiasts around the globe.

Anyone keen to lead this - or point me in the correct direction?

True - can we raise this as an official request for TB's to be logged into EarthCaches?

How could we propose this to GS? There are so mnay really great EC's and now that we have an EC coin - I'd LOVE my coin to reach EC's and EC enthusiasts around the globe.

Anyone keen to lead this - or point me in the correct direction?

I support this sentiment as well. I hope that somebody knows the channels that can be used to address this. My question is this - How can a TB be dipped into a VIRTUAL [which has no container] but cannot be dipped into an EarthCache? If this is not double standards then what is?

My 2c worth added to the pile.

Just peck enough...its a honorable request. :ph34r:

I once asked WHY we could'nt change our user name (for the sake of a fellow cacher that was re-logging everything) I practiccally got flogged because everyone knew you couldnt and it had been asked time and time again!...well yeah, but WHY- still the flogging commenced with many excuses, but hey... guess what now? Its an option :D

Id say it become common and accepted practice on TB's and coins the caching world over :) The EC Revolution...let it begin now! :D ~ :o

Com'on...let our travelers experience all that caching has to offer!!! They may even actually getto travel this way! :P / ;)

Edited by 007BigD

I put my 2 cents in, but think my above post would hit harder! :mad:

I would hate to go creating topics all over, but I would almost like to ask the geocoin forum what they think of their coins traveling to EC's...Id say nobody knows better than folks who have their lil treasures traveling :mad:

I would hate to go creating topics all over, but I would almost like to ask the geocoin forum what they think of their coins traveling to EC's...Id say nobody knows better than folks who have their lil treasures traveling :mad:

I don't believe another coin owner would vote to have their coin carried back and forth from EC to EC. The question, I think, is taking a personally owned coin from EC to EC to record the mileage not someone else's coin. :mad:

I don't believe another coin owner would vote to have their coin carried back and forth from EC to EC. The question, I think, is taking a personally owned coin from EC to EC to record the mileage not someone else's coin. :mad:

True...but thats where many owners for surely will reside and they would have input on whether they would appreciate visits to an EC on their travelers. Not necessarily EC to EC, just EC's in general... I have a bad habit of posting what "I" think is important, and I end up with a mouthfull of shoe usually, so Im not...just be pidgeon pooping anyway :mad:

Im thinkin more on the lines of folks who like to move coins and bugs... a lil log at an EC would be a nice visit inbetween caches :mad::D I would almost assure most owners of their travelers would agree, BUT...I guess we'll never know now w/o a foot insertion, we'll see how the thread goes in the GC.com topic before taking further measures! :mad: ~ Id just like to log the bug that I took pics of at 2 EC's last week, rather than posting notes that they were there :mad:

If it were allowed, I would release my Groundspeak-sanctioned earthcache geocoin with the goal of visiting as many earthcaches as possible (in between traditionals to keep it in circulation). Other than adding to a personal collection, what is the use of an earthcache coin that can't visit earthcaches?

I just traveled out of my state, to a wonderful scenic place and did 4 earthcaches while I was there. I also did one micro cache. Guess what, I logged the coins and bugs through the micro, just so they would know they were there.

If I could have logged them to one of the earthcaches, I would have. Furthermore, the logs would be cooler and include pictures. But who wants a picture of the site for a micro?

As a coin owner, collector, and mover, I would love to see my coins visit scenic places, and perhaps get some pictures and interesting logs along with their mileage. This is why I release them!

So yes, I vote to allow Dipping of TBs and GCs into Earthcaches. If we wanted to enforce a brief visit since there is no container, lets make another choice besides drop, and then the drop/retrieve (i.e. dip) could be done in one step.

We also would like to see that. It's a great way to keep track of your milage. Can someone lobby with Groundspeak for the change? Maybe Geoaware? :D

I'm going to the proper forum and pose the question, but I don't have any 'pull' with GS.

Edit: I just posed the question on the Groundspeak web site forum. Perhaps others could join in and post a request? It seems that the subject has already been brought up. Sorry! Thanks.

I just traveled out of my state, to a wonderful scenic place and did 4 earthcaches while I was there. I also did one micro cache. Guess what, I logged the coins and bugs through the micro, just so they would know they were there.

If I could have logged them to one of the earthcaches, I would have. Furthermore, the logs would be cooler and include pictures. But who wants a picture of the site for a micro?

As a coin owner, collector, and mover, I would love to see my coins visit scenic places, and perhaps get some pictures and interesting logs along with their mileage. This is why I release them!

So yes, I vote to allow Dipping of TBs and GCs into Earthcaches. If we wanted to enforce a brief visit since there is no container, lets make another choice besides drop, and then the drop/retrieve (i.e. dip) could be done in one step.

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

Some really heated discussion on this topic on the other forum http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry4105592

In some ways - I feel like the fool that's rushed in where Angel's have feared treading in the past?

Make that fools rushed in! We should have known that whenever ECs are mentioned, there are always those detractors who have a burr under their saddles regarding EarthCaches. I think there is a lot of jealousy out in the caching World and all the opposition to the change comes from people who seldom if ever visit ECs. Certainly those who are the loudest against the requested change have never developed an EC.

We finally heard from Groundspeak but it wasn't too good. They seem to have some sort of bias toward allowing Coins/TBs to be logged in and out of ECs.

It sure would help if GSA intervened. After all, they created the coins and sales would improve with the change. <_<

My gosh, are we sensitive! Don't flatter yourself. Carbon Hunter and I were referring to us! Not you!

In case you have never heard of the reference (the old saying) , we are the fools who rushed in! I'll spell it out very carefully, the only ones we were calling fools are us!

All of this from someone who thinks "EarthCaches have harmed the game?" Isn't it enough that you insulted each and every EarthCacher on the other forum and now you bring it here?

If anything, the "fools rushing in" reference was an expression of the futility of even asking the question with non-ECers lurking in the shadows just waiting to take pot-shots at EarthCaches!

P.S. Forgive me for the use of the term "pot-shots"..........it's just another of those old phrases or sayings and not a quote from the National Rifle Association! <_<

I don't recall where I've insulted any earthcacher. I think earthcaches are misguided and detrimental to geocaching, but I have no problem with the people who hide and find them.

In general, so long as someone else's game doesn't interfere with the game I'm playing, I am quite happy to live and let live. For example, I don't like puzzle caches, either, but you won't see me complain about puzzles or ask that they be moved to a different website. They still end in a container and a logbook.

But, when YOUR game starts to limit my ability to play MY game (in the form of thousands of acres being declared off limits to all caches except earthcaches during the past year), that's when I start exercising my right to object. That is but one example of how earthcaches are detrimental to geocaching.

Since you haven't hidden or found caches on land managed by the several Ohio land managers (state, county and local) that have banned real geocaches, you have no right to object to or debate that last assertion. That's by your own flawed logic, not mine. I am happy to discuss the issue, if you would quit violating the forum guidelines and respect my right to hold a contrary opinion, quit attacking my supposed lack of experience with the earthcache program (perhaps you don't realize just how funny that is for me to read), and quit starting multiple forum threads to advocate the same issue.

I'm still a happy fool. I'd rather be a happy fool than an unhappy fool. ;)

But, when YOUR game starts to limit my ability to play MY game (in the form of thousands of acres being declared off limits to all caches except earthcaches during the past year), that's when I start exercising my right to object. That is but one example of how earthcaches are detrimental to geocaching.

@The Leprechauns - a question please. I am somewhat a by-stander here but you have brought up an interesting argument here. I love Geocaches and I love Earthcaches - both for different reasons. I love Geocaches for the thrill of the hunt and the ultimate find. I love Earthcaches for the educational aspect that I learn something that I never knew before I did the Earthcache.

What I am confused about though, is how have Earthcaches "limited your ability to play your game"? I would have thought that Earthcaches have allowed MORE opportunities rather than less in that you can now "find" a cache [read smiley] in areas that previously were off-limits for geocaching. Or have I missed something here? ;)

Happy caching to all.

@The Leprechauns - I certainly did not take any insult - but was surprised at the passion and strong wording of your posts.

I agree with KK&M that i was referring to myself as the fool - and certainly did not aim it anywhere else - based on the idiom. I also was not trying to generate a double piost - but see this thread (which pre-dates the one on the Geocaching.com side) as a thread aimed at Earthcachers primarily and certainly not aimed at making any suggestions to GC.com and GS.

As mentioned in an earlier post of mine - I am newer to geocaching than many of you having only joined in 2007. Given that ECs have been an "accepted" cache type during all this time - and having missed any discussions (heated or otherwise) in the past - I still do not see how ECs detract from geocaching? But that is my opinion and I respect your view - however there are a number of aspects to geocaching that I do not particularly like - and consequently, with the flexibility of our pastime - I can choose with my feet and hands as to what elements I embrace - and those I do not.

As far as ECs preventing traditional caches. I try and read objectively - but I believe ECs have allowed caches in areas where they can not be placed? I believe that the permission element is a very good thing - and that placing a traditional cache without permission can also lead to problems. But assuming that ECs have lead to valid traditional caches being removed - I do not believe that was ever GSA or any ECachers aim (and if it has been that way - i believe it is individuals rather than the norm)? I place my traditional caches with the same care and consideration to the GC code of conduct - irrespective of type of cache or location.

As far as ECs preventing traditional caches. I try and read objectively - but I believe ECs have allowed caches in areas where they can not be placed? I believe that the permission element is a very good thing - and that placing a traditional cache without permission can also lead to problems. But assuming that ECs have lead to valid traditional caches being removed - I do not believe that was ever GSA or any ECachers aim (and if it has been that way - i believe it is individuals rather than the norm)? I place my traditional caches with the same care and consideration to the GC code of conduct - irrespective of type of cache or location.

Dittto to your remarks Carbon Hunter. All of this has resulted because of our simple request that TBs/coins be allowed to be logged into and out of ECs. From that request to Groundspeak came the anti-EarthCaching rhetoric!

Now to the insult:

When you (The Leprechauns) say, "I think earthcaches are misguided and detrimental to geocaching", are you not saying those who place ECs are "misguided" and their actions "detrimental to geocaching"? Or did the ECs find and write up themselves? If your remarks aren't an insult, what is?

When the cacher (The Leprechauns) says EarthCaches have "harmed" geocaching he doesn't realize that is an insult to EarthCaching! If EarthCaches are harming the game, logic tells us that anyone who places an EarthCache is by default "harming" the game. Now if that isn't an unproven assumption and an insult to EarthCachers, what is? Flawed logic, I think not!

I know this is a little redundant but here is my response to the original insult posted on another thread:

"Geocachers without regard to sensitive areas have, without permission, rooted up the forest and tromped down plants, overturned logs, rocks and other forest objects best left alone!

I know a few National Forest Chief Rangers and other park managers and they have become negative toward traditional geocaches being placed in their domain. Why? Two reasons, some traditional geocachers don't ask permission and secondly, caches are placed off trail in Eco-sensitive areas.

Try to place a 'legal' traditional cache in a National Park. They don't want them either for the same reasons the National Forest and some State Park folks object. Again, the traditional cache "harmed" the game, not the EC! ECs are rescuing the game, not "harming" it!

Rather we like it or not, an EarthCache will not be approved without the submission of the name and phone number of the approving land manager! Period!

So much for the ECs "harming" the game. While there is no evidence of ECs harming the game, there is a lot of evidence that some traditional cache placements are the real harm to the game! Because of a few traditional geocachers thinking they can put a box where ever they want, environment protectors have and are becoming turned off to geocaching!"

I rest my case! ;)

P.S. To the Leprechauns: Your anti-Earthcaching attitude is obvious, but try to keep this thread on topic which is about logging coins/TBs into and out of EarthCaches!

Again?! ;):mad::blink::blink::blink::blink:

Its very obvious that leprechauns does not like EarthCaching. I suggest we ignore the negative posts and keep on topic.

Educate the Ohio parks and get those traditional caches back in place. :blink:

Thanks!

Congratulations on violating three forum conduct guidelines at once. You should feel flush with accomplishment -that takes special effort. :lol:

Signed,

A happy fool

Edited by Cav Scout

I don't find it appropriate for people to be piling up on The Leprechauns. He's stated his opinion in a calm, respectful way. He has a long history in this sport, and is very involved. He's seen all the sides to this, and knows everything that has happened along the way, and formed an opinion because of it. If you don't agree, that's fine. Let it go.

I don't find it appropriate for people to be piling up on The Leprechauns. He's stated his opinion in a calm, respectful way. He has a long history in this sport, and is very involved. He's seen all the sides to this, and knows everything that has happened along the way, and formed an opinion because of it. If you don't agree, that's fine. Let it go.

No problem with that. But I think it should cut both ways.

No problem with that. But I think it should cut both ways.

Thanks to Carbon Hunter for the "calm and respectful" response.

Now to the remarks by Ambrosia:

When opinions are expressed in a 'calm, respectful way", they will be treated with like responses! But, when a whole group of geocachers (EarthCachers) are accused of harmful and detrimental behavior to the geocaching World, one should not expect a "calm, respectful" response!

Categorical condemnations of a large group of geocachers is not only illogical it reflects the unsubstantiated and long history of the bias of the poster!

Disrespecting your fellow geocachers adds nothing to debate and even with "a long history in this sport" or having a position of authority doesn't relieve the cacher of the obligation of objectivity and/or respect! :sad:

P.S. If you or anyone else wants to join the "respectful" debate regarding the original topic (logging TBs/coins into and out of EarthCaches) by all means join in the fun The topic wasn't posed for answers to unasked questions like, "why I hate EarthCaches and all those people who place them!" :signalviolin:

I was actually wanting to join a "respectful" debate regarding the original topic, but now I see that's not going to happen in this thread.

Your presence in the debate is welcomed but please don't begin with defending the indefensible. EarthCachers have feelings too. We are not like the rocks we so love!

All of that experience of your friend has led him to one conclusion: EarthCaches are a pock mark on the skin of geocaching.

Too bad, most of us believe there is room for all types of caches! There are some types of caches that we don't particularly care for, but we are not going to condemn those who place them by saying they are "detrimental" to geocaching.

Yes, when you say EarthCaches are "harmful" and are "detrimental" are you not saying those who place them are "harmful" and "detrimental"? It's kind of like saying murder is harmful but the murderer is not?

I'll go a step further, when you say ECs are"harmful" and "detrimental" to geocaching, you are saying the Geological Society of America is "harmful" and "detrimental" to geocaching because they sponsor EarthCaches? Does he think Groundspeak is "harmful" and "detrimental" to geocaching because they allow ECs? I'm sorry, but there is no other way to interpret your friend's remarks and they are dead wrong! When you categorically condemn something, be careful, because that's painting with a very broad brush!

If your friend would like to offer an apology to the EarthCaching community, it would be gladly accepted and we can get back to the real debate on logging coins etc.

Now, if you want to agree or disagree with the premise of coins/TBs being logged into ECs, please jump in, but from your first post, it didn't look like you were interested in the original topic. I know you are not the one who insulted EarthCachers and/or EarthCaching, but if you carefully and objectively read both threads you will see who did.

Thanks.

Please, folks let's get back to the TOPIC! :(

Previous permissions have no bearing on current permissions. EarthCaches aside, Geocaching is not permitting placement of caches that do not have containers. Existing Webcams and Virtuals have been grandfathered. Current guidelines, frequently, are not extended to previous, grandfathered, categories. I suspect, that if push came to shove, you would find a ban on TBs being logged through virtuals, rather than permitting TBs being permitted to being logged through EarthCaches. There is no container to put the TB in! Loggining mileage was not the original intent of TBs. TBs are meant to be moved from cache to cache. The fact that some use TBs, and dipping, to track their mileage is irrelevant to the concept. And even contrary. There is no container to put the TB in. If you feel the need to measure milage, dip your TB though the nearest regular Geocache!

Previous permissions have no bearing on current permissions. EarthCaches aside, Geocaching is not permitting placement of caches that do not have containers. Existing Webcams and Virtuals have been grandfathered. Current guidelines, frequently, are not extended to previous, grandfathered, categories. I suspect, that if push came to shove, you would find a ban on TBs being logged through virtuals, rather than permitting TBs being permitted to being logged through EarthCaches. There is no container to put the TB in! Loggining mileage was not the original intent of TBs. TBs are meant to be moved from cache to cache. The fact that some use TBs, and dipping, to track their mileage is irrelevant to the concept. And even contrary. There is no container to put the TB in. If you feel the need to measure milage, dip your TB though the nearest regular Geocache!

While I don't agree with your position, I thank you for participating in the discussion. I am tired of the whole thing and I am not going to rebut your arguments. Frankly, I cannot speak for Carbon Hunter, but as far as I am concerned I give up! As someone once said, "you can't fight city hall!" and at this point, that's exactly what we are doing! Some authority figures need to be more objective and respond in the same fashion as you have.

Thanks for keeping on point and thanks for responding. :(

Thanks Harry Dolphin. You do make valid points. And I am certainly trusting that my innocent and genuine request does not result in the ability to log TBs through virtuals and other grandfathered caches. That really was not my intention at all.

Yes one certainly can log a TB through a regular cache nearby - and many of us do exactly that - but IMO - that is a second best option. It's not just about milage for my own TB - it's also wanting to put really cool pictures on other TBs and coins that I find that have missions such as, "want to visit beautiful spots", or"waterfalls", "or high places", or "caches with a high terrain star rating", or" those requiring a hike" etc. etc. Most Travellers I log actually belong to others (and by default I presume the vast majority of them are not owned by active earthCachers - but ECs meet the requirements of the mission.

So - in ignorance i asked the question - not knowing the sensitivity of the community out there (or certain members) who seem to have had a really bad experience with EC-ing in their area - either precipitated through a mis-understanding or a personal affront by a fellow cacher (that I can not gague - and frankly do not want to - as it is not important to me). Our hobby is far greater than individuals or specific cases.

I merely see EarthCachers across the globe - from the Middle East; Portugal; Western Europe; Southern Africa and North America who would like to ahve travellers dipped through their (and others') caches. I don't think there is any agenda in that?

I imagine logging TBs during a EC visit will be allowed. This is speculation by myself :laughing: .

With the recent developments around EarthCaches and gc.com I beg to pose the question - Will this now mean that we will be able to place/dip our TB's and coins into EC's in the future? :D I sure hope so!

I'm with both of you guys, I hope so too since there is no reason why not! :laughing: