"Ads" in a cache? And a few questions.

tsname

Hi, just recently started geocaching and it's really fun! I think I'm ready to hide my first cache, and it'll be in a spot where I frequent. My question is I am the host of a podcast and I'd like to know if it's ok to put a couple of cards in there with the logo of the podcast including the website and email address? Also, if that's ok, would it be ok to put a few cards in the caches that I do find that do allow items to be placed in them?

Short of word of mouth, I think this would be a fun way to get my podcast out there to interested listeners.

And if it makes a difference, this is a free podcast and I am not soliciting any money for it either (just finished reading the guidelines :P

*edit* Also another question is how close can one cache be to another, regardless of relation? Meaning can I place a cache relatively near another one whether or not I put the original cache in the area?

Edited by tsname

What's a podcast?

A podcast is a series of digital media files, either audio or video, that is released episodically and downloaded through web syndication. The mode of delivery is what differentiates podcasts from other ways of accessing media files over the Internet, such as simple download or streamed webcasts: special client software applications known as podcatchers (like iTunes, Zune, Juice or Winamp) are used to automatically identify and download new files in the series when they are released, by accessing a centrally-maintained web feed that lists all files currently associated with that particular series. New files can thus be downloaded automatically by the podcatcher and stored locally on the user's computer or other device for offline use, making it simpler for a user to access episodic content.

Like the term broadcast, podcast can refer either to an ongoing series of episodes of particular program[1] or to the method by which they are syndicated; the latter is also called podcasting. A podcaster is the person who creates the content.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast

the_more_you_know2.jpg

What's a podcast?

A podcast is a series of digital media files, either audio or video, that is released episodically and downloaded through web syndication. The mode of delivery is what differentiates podcasts from other ways of accessing media files over the Internet, such as simple download or streamed webcasts: special client software applications known as podcatchers (like iTunes, Zune, Juice or Winamp) are used to automatically identify and download new files in the series when they are released, by accessing a centrally-maintained web feed that lists all files currently associated with that particular series. New files can thus be downloaded automatically by the podcatcher and stored locally on the user's computer or other device for offline use, making it simpler for a user to access episodic content.

Like the term broadcast, podcast can refer either to an ongoing series of episodes of particular program[1] or to the method by which they are syndicated; the latter is also called podcasting. A podcaster is the person who creates the content.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Thanks. Not to be mean but I fail to see the point of it.

Bittsen you must not tweet or hoot either. Nor do I. I guess I would rather watch a video, or a dvd, or the latest Monty Python bit. :P

No tweeting, hooting or hollering for me. I was into Monty Python before Monty Python was cool.

I do, however, have a Justin.TV account and occasionally broadcast whatever is happening at the moment. But it's a far cry from regurgitating someone elses programming.

Bittsen you must not tweet or hoot either. Nor do I. I guess I would rather watch a video, or a dvd, or the latest Monty Python bit. :P

No tweeting, hooting or hollering for me. I was into Monty Python before Monty Python was cool.

I do, however, have a Justin.TV account and occasionally broadcast whatever is happening at the moment. But it's a far cry from regurgitating someone elses programming.

Consider podcasts just like a radio show that you download and listen to whenever you want to. That's what the majority are anyway though the production values go from professional (ESPN, NPR etc) to basement (Wayne's world-ish). The distribution network doesn't have to be the same as the creator (think cable, channels and shows... there is a distinction as to who is doing the distribution vs creation). A good analogy would be to think of something like iTunes as a cable network allowing you to tune into the shows on whatever network you're interested in (the specific podcast).

I find podcasts a lot easier to understand than twitter, I'll admit. One seems like someone tivo'd the audio or video for me and makes it available for me and the other seems to boil down significance into 140 characters and often in an insipid way, ignoring complexity and nuance. I'm fully willing to admit ignorance here though; just because I don't see the implications from a concept doesn't mean that they're not useful!

Anyway, I regularly download the podcasts of several news and sports shows and would definitely be interested in a card describing it. I don't pay that much attention to what people leave in caches though; I am not sure I'd read the business card... and it would probably be my loss!

I find podcasts a lot easier to understand than twitter, I'll admit. One seems like someone tivo'd the audio or video for me and makes it available for me and the other seems to boil down significance into 140 characters and often in an insipid way, ignoring complexity and nuance. I'm fully willing to admit ignorance here though; just because I don't see the implications from a concept doesn't mean that they're not useful!

Some things can be said in less than 140 characters and lose none of their power. (for example "I love you", "We're through", "Pu-Erh tea tastes like dung-scented dirt") Most of what we say to people important to us is said in a very short form. It is the lengthy prose that lacks power.

I suspect the problem you are seeing with Twitter is its use as a broadcast medium rather than as a narrowcast. My Twitter account has ten people who are allowed to read my updates, all of whom know me fairly intimately. They care when I write, "Fell down muddy slope geocaching. Injured." or "Pain is back." They know enough to fill in the gaps. Some of us share ideas for tasty healthy food via tweets since we are trying to improve in this and I appreciate it when my friends and family share. Obviously a stranger wouldn't care at all about these things. It would just seem insipid or dull. But we live our mundane lives for ourselves and our intimates, not for random strangers.

Carolyn

Some things can be said in less than 140 characters and lose none of their power. (for example "I love you", "We're through", "Pu-Erh tea tastes like dung-scented dirt") Most of what we say to people important to us is said in a very short form. It is the lengthy prose that lacks power.

I suspect the problem you are seeing with Twitter is its use as a broadcast medium rather than as a narrowcast. My Twitter account has ten people who are allowed to read my updates, all of whom know me fairly intimately. They care when I write, "Fell down muddy slope geocaching. Injured." or "Pain is back." They know enough to fill in the gaps. Some of us share ideas for tasty healthy food via tweets since we are trying to improve in this and I appreciate it when my friends and family share. Obviously a stranger wouldn't care at all about these things. It would just seem insipid or dull. But we live our mundane lives for ourselves and our intimates, not for random strangers.

Carolyn

This is a great point Carolyn.

I was referring to Twitter in the way that the mainstream has gobbled it up. It's difficult to convey nuance about complex issues (and by complex I mean it in the sense of purely complex rather than nuanced) in a short set of letters. "i Love you" etc are complex by nuance; I love tweets of that nature. Tweets that take a set of structurally complex issues and destroy them by condensation do not do anyone a service imo.

I've veered enough off the topic here so I'll just reiterate my support for the plans of the OP regarding the intended inclusions to his or her cache.

"Fell down muddy slope geocaching. Injured." or "Pain is back."

At this point I would suggest you stop twitting and call your doctor. When you want to tell your special someone you love them CALL them. The sound of your voice is much better than the text on a screen. Or perhaps it isn't?tongue.gif

For the rest you don't really need twitter. An email can be sent to the same people all at the same time. That is all it really is, an email sent to a group.

Carolyn

Carolyn, you explained that SO much better than I could. Thank you!

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I find it hilarious how quick this thread got threadjacked, roflmao.

Well, my podcast isn't directly related to geocaching, but it is about snacks, which is only somewhat related to geocaching given you have a snack when you cache.