GeoHashing

Arrow42

Interesting to see that GeoHashing as defined in that wiki is very different from what the word means to me.

hey, IK what does GeoHashing mean to you?

Hashers are "drinkers with a running problem" and geohashing combines caching, drinking and moving, with more or less speed, across the landscape on foot. Yes, I've tried it. It's fun.

About the stuff in that wiki I have no clue.

I love xkcd! Before I started Geocaching, I read that comic and was extremely interested in the whole idea. I have never GeoHashed, but I thought about it. Actually, while doing some research on it I came upon Geocaching, remembered that I had heard something about it, looked into it, found out my mom was writing an educational software program for Geocaching, and the rest is history. So, GeoHashing led me to Geocaching. :o

And "Hashing" means something very different in my area. When I read the forum title, my first thought was "Whaaat? Isn't that illegal? :P" Of course, then I remembered the fabulous xkcd comic... :ph34r:

Geohashing is a new sport that combines the skills required for Hashing and Geocaching into a single discipline. Geohashing involves using your GPS unit to locate strategically placed caches of alcohol within a given geographic area. Once the first cache is located, the participants must completely consume it to gain access to the clue that will lead them to the next cache. A time limit may be associated with a particular geohash, or any other number of interesting variations applied all in the name of good clean fun. There may be themed Geohashes (I.E. Lingerie, Halloween or Christmas themes) and secret initiation rites for new members. Points will be deducted for every team member arrested for drunken disorderly conduct.

http://www.geohashing.net

Geohashing is a new sport that combines the skills required for Hashing and Geocaching into a single discipline. Geohashing involves using your GPS unit to locate strategically placed caches of alcohol within a given geographic area. Once the first cache is located, the participants must completely consume it to gain access to the clue that will lead them to the next cache. A time limit may be associated with a particular geohash, or any other number of interesting variations applied all in the name of good clean fun. There may be themed Geohashes (I.E. Lingerie, Halloween or Christmas themes) and secret initiation rites for new members. Points will be deducted for every team member arrested for drunken disorderly conduct.

I know some Hashers, as in Hash House Harriers, who might be quite excited at this prospect (particularly the alcohol bits.)

I know some Hashers, as in Hash House Harriers, who might be quite excited at this prospect (particularly the alcohol bits.)

It would actually be cool to do in an area with a cache run, like by DIA. Heck- in an area that saturated you could set up multiple routes that are 5-10km.

As a member of the Buffalo Hash House Harriers I can definitely say I would be interested in this!

Way too much math involved for me to do xkcd's version of geohashing...

...but I xkcd is awesome nevertheless.

Hashers are "drinkers with a running problem" and geohashing combines caching, drinking and moving, with more or less speed, across the landscape on foot.

I have a outdoors-loving (and alcohol-loving) friend who has taken up hashing in the last year or so and loves it. He's not into geocaching even though he's already found about half a dozen by his estimate while backpacking in rural Missouri (he wasn't looking for them, he just came across some by accident).

Weird, I was just looking at GeoHashing a few weeks ago. I had heard about it when the comic was originally published, but I never really checked it out. In my more recent look at the game, I ran across this same old thread, so I was surprised to see it bumped up again.

There is a free Android app, and I think there's an iPhone app as well which do all the calculations for you. If you don't have either of those there's the "peeron map." Just click on your location (or whatever location you wish) and it'll mark the current GeoHash for that graticule. It will also display the coords in the lower right corner in several formats.

http://carabiner.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.html

Weird, I was just looking at GeoHashing a few weeks ago. I had heard about it when the comic was originally published, but I never really checked it out. In my more recent look at the game, I ran across this same old thread, so I was surprised to see it bumped up again.

There is a free Android app, and I think there's an iPhone app as well which do all the calculations for you. If you don't have either of those there's the "peeron map." Just click on your location (or whatever location you wish) and it'll mark the current GeoHash for that graticule. It will also display the coords in the lower right corner in several formats.

http://carabiner.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.html

Ok..in TRUE hashing...we didn't USE those fancy schmancy little toys. :D NO ifones..no androids.Follow the arrows, drink a beer and have fun. Geez..kids these days. :lol:

Edited by wildchld97