For all of us that allergic to poison ivy

l I am severely allergic to PI and geocaching in the woods seems the ideal place to run into it. Just last week I had to visit the urgent care place on Sunday morning, I woke to my eyes swollen nearly shut due to my friend Poison ivy. I dont want to quit GCing or only gc in the urban areas, and my wife is to keen on going in the woods alone. What is the best method to prevent exposure. Is there something I can spray on like insect repellent only PI repellent? I think there is something you can put on after you come in contact but not to sure how well that works.

l I am severely allergic to PI and geocaching in the woods seems the ideal place to run into it. Just last week I had to visit the urgent care place on Sunday morning, I woke to my eyes swollen nearly shut due to my friend Poison ivy. I dont want to quit GCing or only gc in the urban areas, and my wife is to keen on going in the woods alone. What is the best method to prevent exposure. Is there something I can spray on like insect repellent only PI repellent? I think there is something you can put on after you come in contact but not to sure how well that works.

You might want to try this: http://www.ivyblock.com/

Why not just avoid the stuff? From what I hear it's easy enough to spot.

not always. sometimes the little buggers sneak up on you, hiding behind larger, more benign plants.

for post-exposure, we like the PI soap from burt's bees and buji wash and wipes.

i do not believe that an epi-pen is suitable for the kind of reaction you get from PI.

...Thats alot easier said than done, especially when the PI is growing on the cache or its dark, or its... the list is endless

Fair enough. In my area Poison Ivy isn't common. It stands out. I can only think of two locations I've seen it. Stinging nettle though is far more common here.

One of the fascinating things about viewing these forums is how different geographical experiences really don't translate well to other areas. In Tennessee the woods are filled with poison ivy and it is not possible to avoid it except by avoiding the woods. It winds around nearly every tree and in some areas carpets the ground in beautiful green plants. For some very sensitive people who have to walk through lots of poison ivy they can get allergic reactions merely from breathing in the disrupted plants. (It happened to a neighbor of mine who was helping clear an area for a rails to trails project.) I note that the OP is caching in Louisiana. My guess is that the vegetation there is equally thick and noxious.

I am utterly immune to poison ivy but my beloved is sensitive. We make sure our bodies are covered completely before caching. My beloved wears work gloves when he pushes through poison ivy. Once we return home, clothing is stripped off in the garage and placed immediately in the washing machine by me. Then my beloved goes to shower to ensure that any parts that were exposed are cleaned as soon as possible. I take care of unpacking and cleaning anything that needs it or that he might touch. Then I shower so that any poison ivy on me doesn't harm him when I touch him.

I have seen some products here in the outdoor stores that claim to prevent poison ivy and others that claim to treat it in the field, but we haven't tried them. Our best defense has always been to cover up, wash up, and keep anything that has touched poison ivy away from my beloved.

Carolyn

Edited by Steve&GeoCarolyn

...Thats alot easier said than done, especially when the PI is growing on the cache or its dark, or its... the list is endless

Fair enough. In my area Poison Ivy isn't common. It stands out. I can only think of two locations I've seen it. Stinging nettle though is far more common here.

i live in Louisiana, granted in the northern part of the state but we still have swamps, with large amounts of vegetation. PI grows everywhere and is on everything. 100% avoiding it is impossible, while long pants and some of those kind of actions helps, its still possible to come in contact with the plant. To be honest if I spent any amount of time trying to avoid contact i might as well stay home, LOL. Also, while looking for a cache looking for PI is least on my mind. Like I said in the OP I was just wondering if there is some kind of spray like insect repellent. If the oil of the PI plant gets on me anywhere it causes a severe reaction and I do mean anywhere. Usually my skin looks like oozing hamburger meat, so it's best if i don't get into it. I am curious about a spray because I would need to cover my entire body with it. If if brush by a leave and it hits my ear, I am done. So its that serious to me. Thanks for any leads

best defense has always been to cover up, wash up, and keep anything that has touched poison ivy away

Long pants and shirts, gloves and even a hat and bug netting if needed. The best defense is to avoid contact if you can. Wash thoroughly after. Study the stuff. It has a bad habit of imitating other plants that it grows near. There are also several other plants that look similar and yet are harmless.

I have no idea if the commercially available stuff works or not. I have heard that washing with Dawn dish soap is supposed to cut the oils and wash 'em away but that may just be a rumor. Same for D&L hand soap although I'd think twice about washing tender parts with that stuff.

Or take someone like me along. I have walked through the stuff and had no reaction when those with me wished they were able to peel off their skin. I once picked the stuff so I could show some kids, and their "grew up in the city" parents, what the stuff looked like. Almost gave the guy that was hiking with me a stroke. Some day it will bite me in the butt. I'll probably end up one of those trying to get out of my own skin. :ph34r::P

Being that in my younger days I was an active paramedic & worked many hours of search & rescue I have this to say about that. These are JUST my EDUCATED & TRAINED PROFFESIONAL opinions. Take it or leave it. :P

1. The human physiology of getting a rash from PI comes from the "oils" found on the leaves of the plant. When these oils get on your skin, your skin reacts. This is why you get the rash. You body then reacts with histamines. This release of histamines by your body is the actual cause of a persons ALERGIC symptoms. That is why we take ANTI-Histamines to help cure ourselvs of the symptoms of allergies. Of any type.

2. These oils can easily be washed off using a good DISH soap & WARM water. The quicker you wash your skin of these oils, the less likely you are to get a rash from the PI oils. These oils can also be deposited on your clothing, as well as your hands. The reason MOST people don't get a rash from PI on the palms of our hands is because OUR body oils are stronger than the PI's oils. However, the PI's oils are still there and thus when we TOUCH other parts of our body we spread these PI oils to the parts of our body that WILL react.

3. There are MANY hand wipe products out there that work just fine in removing these PI oils from your body once they have gotten on your body. They are a GOOD replacement when your in an area that you CAN'T easily wash yourself with DISH soap and WARM water. When I am out in the woods & return to my car I use hand wipes from LYSOL to clean my hands, arms, and legs (if I am wearing shorts) of any PI oils that I might have gotten on me. There are many other brands that work just fine. What you DO NOT want is ANY handwipe that contains ALOE, or ANY other skin moisturizer in them. As the Aloe & other moistureizers will just spread the PI oils around on your body. They WON'T clean the PI oils OFF your body. If you wanted, & in your case becasue of your severe reactions to PI. I would recomend you carry a box of these with you and clean EXPOSED body parts regularly.

4. There are many products out there that "CLAIM" to be a preventive measure against getting the rash from getting the PI "Oils" on you. Some work, some do not. Each person is different and what works for one does not work for the other. I personally don't have any that I can recomend that will work 100% of the time.

5. I would seriously recomend that if you want to go into areas with PI that you do the following.

a. wear long pants & long sleaved shirts

b. Clean your hand often with soap and water &/or cleaning wipes. WITHOUT any moistureizers in them.

c. Carry an epi pen as well as an anti-histamine, such as benydrl.

d. when you get done & home with being out in the woods. Take a shower with soap & water, & immediately have your wife put your clothes into the washer & wash them, as you shouldn't touch them until they are clean again!

Good luck, & sure hope you don't give up GC in the woods!

TGC

5. I would seriously recomend that if you want to go into areas with PI that you do the following.

b. Clean your hand often with soap and water &/or cleaning wipes. WITHOUT any moistureizers in them.

d. when you get done & home with being out in the woods. Take a shower with soap & water, & immediately have your wife put your clothes into the washer & wash them, as you shouldn't touch them until they are clean again!

TGC

Cool! We are doing it right. I shall tell my beloved that we have expert approval for our practices. I would add that the reason we remove clothes in the garage is to avoid getting poison ivy juices on carpeting where it will stay and continue to irritate my beloved. I recommend it as a practice for other extremely allergic people.

Carolyn

Being that in my younger days I was an active paramedic & worked many hours of search & rescue I have this to say about that. These are JUST my EDUCATED & TRAINED PROFFESIONAL opinions. Take it or leave it. :P

1. The human physiology of getting a rash from PI comes from the "oils" found on the leaves of the plant. When these oils get on your skin, your skin reacts. This is why you get the rash. You body then reacts with histamines. This release of histamines by your body is the actual cause of a persons ALERGIC symptoms. That is why we take ANTI-Histamines to help cure ourselvs of the symptoms of allergies. Of any type.

2. These oils can easily be washed off using a good DISH soap & WARM water. The quicker you wash your skin of these oils, the less likely you are to get a rash from the PI oils. These oils can also be deposited on your clothing, as well as your hands. The reason MOST people don't get a rash from PI on the palms of our hands is because OUR body oils are stronger than the PI's oils. However, the PI's oils are still there and thus when we TOUCH other parts of our body we spread these PI oils to the parts of our body that WILL react.

3. There are MANY hand wipe products out there that work just fine in removing these PI oils from your body once they have gotten on your body. They are a GOOD replacement when your in an area that you CAN'T easily wash yourself with DISH soap and WARM water. When I am out in the woods & return to my car I use hand wipes from LYSOL to clean my hands, arms, and legs (if I am wearing shorts) of any PI oils that I might have gotten on me. There are many other brands that work just fine. What you DO NOT want is ANY handwipe that contains ALOE, or ANY other skin moisturizer in them. As the Aloe & other moistureizers will just spread the PI oils around on your body. They WON'T clean the PI oils OFF your body. If you wanted, & in your case becasue of your severe reactions to PI. I would recomend you carry a box of these with you and clean EXPOSED body parts regularly.

4. There are many products out there that "CLAIM" to be a preventive measure against getting the rash from getting the PI "Oils" on you. Some work, some do not. Each person is different and what works for one does not work for the other. I personally don't have any that I can recomend that will work 100% of the time.

TGC

See thats what I am talking about some seemingly educated information. So what exactly is the epi pen? If its the autoinjector I don't think my allergic reactions are that sudden to warrant that type of device. However, I will definitely give the rest of your suggestions a try for sure. Thanks

Edited by R&JStockman

4. There are many products out there that "CLAIM" to be a preventive measure against getting the

See thats what I am talking about some seemingly educated information. So what exactly is the epi pen? If its the autoinjector I don't think my allergic reactions are that sudden to warrant that type of device. However, I will definitely give the rest of your suggestions a try for sure. Thanks

ABOVE IS NOT ALL GOOD INFORMATION

Warm water OPENS the skin pours letting the oils in faster.

ALWAYS WASH WITH COLD WATER ONLY!!!!!!!!!!

I developed a severe allergy, and got the reaction easily.

The best defense is FAST.

Always carry FELS NAPTHA (laundry soap bar) with you. You can break a small piece off and it goes a long way.

Always carry water to wash with. COLD!!!! COLD COLD COLD!!!!

The moment you suspect you've gotten into it, wash the area IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!! If not sooner.

Then after you get home, wash the clothes you were wearing and wash down your whole body with this soap. You can get the reaction from clothes you were wearing. Don't take your dog out with you. You can get if off your dog too.

Anti-histamines are good. Always carry them. Benedryl is highly recommened by First Aid experts.

Good luck.

Epi is short for Epinephrine. Which is a naturally occuring drug that is used when someone is in severe anaphalaxis (Having a severe allergic reaction). Epi pens are Autoinjectors. but not all autoinjectors are epi pens.

Epi pens DO require a medical doctors perscription. The severity of your alergic reactions to PI and the use of an epi pen should be discussed with your doctor. You may or may not need one. I do know people who do.

However, Bynadryl is available OTC (Over the counter) at any walmart or target in the pharmacy area.

TGC

There is contreversy on this in the AMA medical journal. You are correct in that warm water will open the poor theoretically letting more PI oils into your skin. Yet, it has also been shown that the PI oils become easier to remove in warmer water than in cold. Think of greese. When it's solidified it can be harder to remove then when it's "melted".

So the jury is still out on that one. My personal proffesional opinion is still use warm water.

Always carry FELS NAPTHA (laundry soap bar) with you. You can break a small piece off and it goes a long way.

I never said anything about speed. But I do think it's obvious from the way I made my suggestions. That speed is very important. The quicker you remove the PI oils the better off you will be.

FELS NAPTHA will work. It has also been shown that MOST of the new DISH soaps available now will work very well, because the new dish soaps are now formuated to handle disolving greese & oils very well from cooking. All oils edible and other wise have very similar chemical structures and elements. Thats why they are called oils! :P

The moment you suspect you've gotten into it, wash the area IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!! If not sooner.

Then after you get home, wash the clothes you were wearing and wash down your whole body with this soap. You can get the reaction from clothes you were wearing. Don't take your dog out with you. You can get if off your dog too.

Anti-histamines are good. Always carry them. Benedryl is highly recommened by First Aid experts.

Good luck.

I think I said that in not so many words.

TGC

4. There are many products out there that "CLAIM" to be a preventive measure against getting the

Good luck.

Well, idk if that's entirely true. Cold water may not open your pores, but if you scrub with cold water, the oils stay in a more solid state and don't break down. Warm water (the hotter the better) will cause the oils to essentially melt and pour off of you. Your pores take a little time to open up compared to the oils, as your biological reaction is slower than the oil's chemical reaction.

And for those above who think they aren't allergic to poison ivy based on experience, STILL TRY TO AVOID POISON IVY. NOBODY IS IMMUNE to poison ivy. Every human being's allergic reaction to poison ivy gets worse with every exposure. Some people think they are immune and so play in it like a sandbox, and then don't understand why they are suddenly allergic one day in their 40s. That's just how poison ivy works.

Always avoid poison ivy, at all costs. No use in wasting a good thing, like a current resistance.

But, just so everyone knows, the worst reactions come with the cellular walls of the leaves and ESPECIALLY the stems are broken, releasing the oil of the plant. In many cases, touching it or brushing up against it won't cause a reaction at all, whereas crushing it in one's hand will almost assure a reaction.

Play smart.

Edited by chrisrayn

...Fair enough. In my area Poison Ivy isn't common. It stands out. I can only think of two locations I've seen it. Stinging nettle though is far more common here.

i live in Louisiana,...

There is alwasy Plan B. Move West. :P

Won't help. We have poison oak, which is just as bad.

NOBODY IS IMMUNE to poison ivy. Every human being's allergic reaction to poison ivy gets worse with every exposure. Some people think they are immune and so play in it like a sandbox, and then don't understand why they are suddenly allergic one day in their 40s. That's just how poison ivy works.

Yep, that's what happened to me. I was immune to poison ivy and poison oak, but several years of orienteering through it finally broke down my resistance, and I started getting the rashes. I am still fairly resistant, however - I can touch contaminated clothes and stuff without getting it. But serious exposure + failure to wash it off quickly or use Tecnu = rash.

From the symptoms you've described you really should carry an EpiPen (and be willing to use it) and travel with people who are willing to use it on you. Talk to your doctor and find out what (if any) treatments are available. Some of the post seem to be confusing your allergic reaction to typical poison ivy symptoms but the reaction you're experiencing is much more serious. Also you might want to get a medic alert bracelet even if you only use it when hiking. If you are unable to speak or are unconscious it will help ems and er staff some clue to the problem. I'm kind of curious, do you have any allergies to other plants?

I'm not allergic to poison ivy, but my skin seems to breakout if I even look at it so I usually try to carry alcohol pads wtih me, they won't stop your skin from reacting but if clean the area it usually limits it spreading.

Edited by modernman

The rash is a surface skin reaction to urushiol. It has nothing to do with "letting the oils in" through the pores.

It IS correct that the sooner you can wash it off, the better, but warm or cold doesn't really matter. What's important is using an agent (soap) that will break up the oils. I still think you can't do better than TECNU and Ivy Block.

In discussions about what relieves the itching once you have the rash, people have commented that running scalding hot water over the area stops the itching temporarily. I learned long ago that this works for me.

What I didn't know was WHY. I kinda thought it just killed the nerve ends or something. :P

But last year I read in these forums a more likely explanation: The itching is caused by histamines. Under hot water the histamines build up until they are released through the skin, and the itching is relieved until they gradually build up again.

One other point: Benadryl is the trade name for diphenhydramine hcl. Buying the generic is much cheaper. it's usually in a package that looks like Benadryl. I think Walmart calls theirs "Wal-Dryl" or something like that.

And you can find it in both the allergy and the sleep aid sections. The sleep aid, same dose, same size, will cost more than the allergy package!

And for those above who think they aren't allergic to poison ivy based on experience, STILL TRY TO AVOID POISON IVY. NOBODY IS IMMUNE to poison ivy

There are two kinds of people. Those who have allergic reactions to PI and those who will.

At one time in my life I could strip naked and roll in the stuff and not get a rash. Now I do.

Regarding jewelweed:

I teach people about the benefits of jewelweed as often as I can. That said, jewelweed is NOT an antidote for poison ivy!!! It can provide some very nice cooling relief from the sting of nettles, but that is a totally different issue than poison iv. Even with nettles, jewelweed doesn't really cure the problem... it is just a soothing, cooling ointment.

And for those above who think they aren't allergic to poison ivy based on experience, STILL TRY TO AVOID POISON IVY. NOBODY IS IMMUNE to poison ivy

There are two kinds of people. Those who have allergic reactions to PI and those who will.

At one time in my life I could strip naked and roll in the stuff and not get a rash. Now I do.

Perhaps you should stop stripping naked and rolling in the stuff then. :P:ph34r:

Thats alot easier said than done, especially when the PI is growing on the cache or its dark, or its... the list is endless

Here in N.Central TX it is everywhere. If you don't see it then you just aren't looking very hard. I've seen P.I. vines on the sides of oaks that are 3 to 4 inches in diameter. You don't know its PI because it looks like something from Jumanji..but if you look up into the canopy you'll see the three leaves and the red berries (in season).

A fellow geocacher is so allergic she claims it can "jump" on her! When we cache together she sends me in for those particular grabs.

I always wear boots, long pants, long sleeves and use sanitizing wipes. It is best if you use the wipes right away to reduce the chance of 'migration'. As an added measure I also carry an extra bottle of water that I use just for rinsing. So far these methods have worked well for me.

Oh, and when I get home I wash my hands very very well. I then take a change of clothes (or towel) to the laundry room and strip my contaminated clothes directly into the washing machine. This prevents my dearly beloved from getting second hand exposure....which is just as painful. I then proceed immediately to the shower to repeat and complete the decontamination procedures.

Give yourself as many "layers" of protection as you can. You never regret having too much protection!!!

Ewwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

But seriously... I had pretty severe reactions several times as a boy, but not once as an adult, despite years of fishing, hiking, camping, and geocaching where I knew that I had walked through it, had untied my boots, had petted my dog who had also walked through it.

Now, one theory is that, as a boy, I was more likely to have roughly trod through it, tearing the leaves and releasing the oils. As an adult that is aware of what the plant looks like, if I come into contact with it at all, I'm likely to be much more gentle.

The other theory is that I've developed an immunity, but if I understand correctly, that goes against the grain of science. I believe that we generally become more sensitive to an allergin, not less, as time goes by, although I don't know if that it true.

Bottom line, though, for me, is that I seem so far to be unaffected by it as an adult, for whatever reason. Glad for that!

Edited by knowschad

well, I did it again, i went out this evening and (before you say I should know better i did it anyway)was only going to grab a few caches. Well one led to another to another.... many of which were in PI infested areas. I did come home drop the clothes off at the washing machine. I went straight to the shower with the dish soap. Washed thoroughly top to bottom. Now I guess we will see if the Dish soap and warm water theory works.

My theory. Enjoy the complexities of the human body and how it interacts with nature. Scratch as much as you want because, face it, it feels SOOOOOOOOOOO good when you scratch an itch.

Roll in the stuff naked and when its too much to bear, take a nice hot shower and feel the incredible rush of nerve ending goodness.

OH BABY!!! YEAHHHH!!!!!!!! OOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

well, I did it again, i went out this evening and (before you say I should know better i did it anyway)was only going to grab a few caches. Well one led to another to another.... many of which were in PI infested areas. I did come home drop the clothes off at the washing machine. I went straight to the shower with the dish soap. Washed thoroughly top to bottom. Now I guess we will see if the Dish soap and warm water theory works.

I'm crossing my fingers for you! Please let us know.

Carolyn

Ewwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

But seriously... I had pretty severe reactions several times as a boy, but not once as an adult, despite years of fishing, hiking, camping, and geocaching where I knew that I had walked through it, had untied my boots, had petted my dog who had also walked through it.

Now, one theory is that, as a boy, I was more likely to have roughly trod through it, tearing the leaves and releasing the oils. As an adult that is aware of what the plant looks like, if I come into contact with it at all, I'm likely to be much more gentle.

The other theory is that I've developed an immunity, but if I understand correctly, that goes against the grain of science. I believe that we generally become more sensitive to an allergin, not less, as time goes by, although I don't know if that it true.

Bottom line, though, for me, is that I seem so far to be unaffected by it as an adult, for whatever reason. Glad for that!

It's possible.

Contrary to what many on this forum claim, sensitivity to poison ivy can change in either direction. Also, some people remain tolerant for their entire lives.

Personally, I have made it into my forties without ever having a reaction. I am going to continue to assume that I will not have a reaction until I have one.

Edited by sbell111

It's possible.

Contrary to what many on this forum claim, sensitivity to poison ivy can change in either direction. Also, some people remain tolerant for their entire lives.

Personally, I have made it into my forties without ever having a reaction. I am going to continue to assume that I will not have a reaction until I have one.

Agreed. I managed to romp in the woods without any reaction at all until I was 12 years old and managed to expose myself via the smoke from a campfire. It started at my nostrils and pretty much consumed my whole face a matter of a day. When my parents picked my up at the end of the week they didn't recognize me. Got a steroid shot in the butt for my troubles at the ER on the way home, took three different prescriptions for the next month until it finally went away.

For about the next 10 years after that it seemed that I would break out if I was in visual range of oak/ivy. I would break out if I touched an object that had touched oak/ivy weeks prior. The rash was of the nasty blistering ooze variety and would last weeks. I have faint scars on my arms from these breakouts.

Here I am at 36 and I'm almost back to my pre-12-year-old immunity. I can walk through the stuff without breaking out and washing my hands and arms will pretty much keep the rash away. When I do get the rash it's usually a little line of blisters and nothing like the massive wounds I used to get.

I'd like to 2nd the Purell or equiv. I haven't had a single problem with PI this year though I feel sure I have been in some of it. Caching in the woods with short pants would have normally caused me some problems. No scientific proof, just thinking maybe it has helped me. Cheap to.

David

I have scanned the thread and did not see it mentioned, but the hand cleaners mechanics use (Gojo or Mojo??) works well too. It is a degreaser and cuts the oils.

One of our local geocachers told me about this and we carry it in the car or truck. When we get back to the vehicle after we think we have been exposed, we use the hand cleaner and paper towels. So far, so good.

Ethyl Alcohol, the main ingredient in hand sanitizers like GermX, breaks down the oil in poison ivy that causes the reaction.

You'll still have whatever your clothes got exposed to to contend with, but you can scrub down your skin with the stuff. In this case, shorts & a short-sleeve shirt may actually be advantageous, as you can more easily clean the skin in the field than you can the clothes.

I have found that alcohol based hand sanitizer ( without moisturizer) on a course paper towel is a pretty good quick in the field fix. You can carry in your pocket or pack This removes much of the PI Oil until you can get to somewhere where you can use the other methods above.

My theory. Enjoy the complexities of the human body and how it interacts with nature. Scratch as much as you want because, face it, it feels SOOOOOOOOOOO good when you scratch an itch.

Roll in the stuff naked and when its too much to bear, take a nice hot shower and feel the incredible rush of nerve ending goodness.

OH BABY!!! YEAHHHH!!!!!!!! OOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

For probably the first time ever, I agree with Bittsen! :mad:

(Well, sorta... I still believe in avoidance. But once you've got it, relax and enjoy it!)

Hi! In my local area, there's a plant that grows... a weed really... I've heard it called 'Jade plant' (NOT the potted plant!) and I've heard it called 'Jewel Weed'...if you live in the South East, you've definitely seen it growing in shaded, damp areas in the woods. It's very green and can have small orange or yellow flowers at the tips of the stems.... actually, I just checked and if you google 'Jewel weed' you'll find some great image results... anywho:

This is a fabulous poison ivy remedy that might be available in the woods for your use at the time of exposure. You simply crush the stems or little nodes on the plants to release the the plant juices and rub them on your affected area... it's good for bug bites and other skin irritations, too.

Sorry if there is no Jewel Weed in your area! If not, maybe someone else can use the info :mad:

Happy GCing!

L.

Ron Webster is now the reigning patriarch of Santa Monica Mountains trails, since Milt McAuley died last December. Ron has been building and maintaining trails for over 30 years, and has never avoided contact with poison oak. (PO is basically the same as PI except for its bushier growth habit, and contains the same poison.) PO is ubiquitous in the SMM. I have watched him go into it as though it were just laurel sumac. And it's a lot harder to avoid when building trails than when maintaining or hiking them. He's still very much alive, so he might react yet (Milt first reacted in his 70s I hear), but he's as close to totally immune as one can get.

I've never reacted, but I've never seriously pushed my luck either. My father first reacted in his 50s, but had taught me to recognize PI from an early age, so it comes naturally. PO has a similar enough appearance that the skill translates.

Some time back, I found this interesting page about PO. It should apply to PI equally. Some of the information goes counter to what we usually hear, but he cites numerous references to reputable journals. For example, we often hear that a PO reaction is just that, a reaction, and not a true allergy, but it seems that the truth is more complex.

He also says that, contrary to common belief, urushiol normally occurs only in the resin canals in the plant, and is only found on the surface after bruising or other attack. Based on this, it does seem possible that the second crew to work on a section of trail might be exposed more than the first. The first crew might be able to cut the PO and move the stalks away before much resin is released. We had a situation last year which this might explain: no serious reactions one day, but two serious reactions (albeit from workers who were not present the first day) about three days later, one of them involving hospitalization. If some of the plant is left on or near the trail -- as it certainly was the day I worked there, the first day -- then I could easily believe that the resin might seep out on the cut ends and even into the soil, where it could more easily expose the next crew. This is only a guess.

For my part, I take advantage of my lack of sensitivity to help clear areas where others dare not go. But I try to limit my exposure within that -- handle the stuff carefully and not wipe the cut ends on my shirt, etc -- I'm not ready to declare myself permanently immune.

BTW, Tecnu Oak and Ivy Cleanser (or Outdoor Cleanser, two names for the same product) is basically just an emulsion of detergent and mineral oil. Presumably the mineral oil dissolves the urushiol and the detergent then removes both. I've used it after known exposure, but since I've never reacted, I can't testify as to how well it works.

Edward

Edited by paleolith