MRE Dairy Shake recall

In the beginning I thought this might be a clever ploy to find how many swiped cases are really on e-bay, 'til I read the post.

We usually grab mres, finding them better (and lighter per FULL meal) than most cardboard-like "hiking" foods out there, that leave you hungry for more.

The caloric count is meant to be very high for the rigors of combat. A lenghthy AT hike might fit.

I figure, if it's good enough for our boys...

A long way ahead from the C-rats I lugged while in.

CJ usually swipes the shakes (sweet tooth) and says they're tastey. I prefer the strong coffee (Tasters' Choice in mres.)

You need to shake the package 'til your arms get tired.

She had one from the lot they mentioned last Fall, with no problems.

Maybe we'll crack one open next weekend and give her a tummy-test :)

The shakes are found in MRE menu number one: chili with beans; menu nine: beef stew; menu 21: tuna in a pouch; and menu 22: chicken and dumplings.

About the only thing worse than getting diarrhea after eating chili or beef stew, might be getting diarrhea after eating tuna in a pouch! :ph34r::)

:rolleyes: I assume that's just a less-marketable name for these.

About the only thing worse than getting diarrhea after eating chili or beef stew, might be getting diarrhea after eating tuna in a pouch! :):laughing:

When we were in the field for any extended period of time, we used to joke around about how we'd alternate between the diarrhea inducing meals and the constipation inducing ones, trying to create some equilibrium in the process.

I was just cleaning out the garage and found an MRE from around 1992 mixed in with my old uniforms. I can only imagine what has happened to the contents after all these years.

About the only thing worse than getting diarrhea after eating chili or beef stew, might be getting diarrhea after eating tuna in a pouch! :):laughing:

When we were in the field for any extended period of time, we used to joke around about how we'd alternate between the diarrhea inducing meals and the constipation inducing ones, trying to create some equilibrium in the process.

I was just cleaning out the garage and found an MRE from around 1992 mixed in with my old uniforms. I can only imagine what has happened to the contents after all these years.

Sounds like you got the makings of a travel bug there.

The shakes are found in MRE menu number one: chili with beans; menu nine: beef stew; menu 21: tuna in a pouch; and menu 22: chicken and dumplings.

About the only thing worse than getting diarrhea after eating chili or beef stew, might be getting diarrhea after eating tuna in a pouch! :laughing::grin:

:) I assume that's just a less-marketable name for these.

The tuna steaks are quite good though, there flavored differently.

I opened a 2005 chicken tetrazzini* this past weekend and passed on the shake because of this recall.

The chicken was fine, though as hot as the Flameless Ration Heater got, the food was only tepid.

* it came from a batch from last year, but according to the menus I've seen, it was a 2005 one.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I used to set aside the shakes to enjoy at a later date, they are good when mixed then slightly frozen (not something that usually happens in the field)

I know I've consumed several of them that were recalled with no ill effects but after learning of the recall I am not pushing my luck. Oh how I'll miss the best part of MRE's.

I opened a 2005 chicken tetrazzini* this past weekend and passed on the shake because of this recall.

The chicken was fine, though as hot as the Flameless Ration Heater got, the food was only tepid.

* it came from a batch from last year, but according to the menus I've seen, it was a 2005 one.

Did you place it inclined against "a rock or something" when heating it?

:laughing: I sure did. Can't overlook that key step.

My meatloaf and mashed potatoes this weekend were much better than the chicken.

:D I sure did. Can't overlook that key step.

So was it a rock or something? :D Edited by JDiablo

So was it a rock or something? :D

I used Something both times. Maybe Something only works at higher altitudes. I'll try the Rock next time.

So was it a rock or something? :D

I used Something both times. Maybe Something only works at higher altitudes. I'll try the Rock next time.

:D Too funny. Makes me want to eat Chili Mac for lunch!