Garmin Etrex - inaccurate to approx 150m...

:)

I bought a second hand GPS (received today) for a friend.

I took it out with mine today to do a geocache and check all the settings were ok (i.e. metric not imperial etc etc) and that it was all fine, but every waypoint I've put in has been in excess of 150metres out . When I 'mark' a spot it is also out by about the same. Whilst I accept there will be some difference between my GPS, and another - nothing like this!!! :D

Is there any default that can be changed, or is this GPS broken in some way and should be returned?

Thanks all,

Julia aka VenomousHarridan

:)

I bought a second hand GPS (received today) for a friend.

I took it out with mine today to do a geocache and check all the settings were ok (i.e. metric not imperial etc etc) and that it was all fine, but every waypoint I've put in has been in excess of 150metres out . When I 'mark' a spot it is also out by about the same. Whilst I accept there will be some difference between my GPS, and another - nothing like this!!! :D

Is there any default that can be changed, or is this GPS broken in some way and should be returned?

Thanks all,

Julia aka VenomousHarridan

Which datum are you set to? Should be WGS-84.

Is the datum set to WGS84?

Yes it is - I restored defaults to get it to this, as it wasn't..... still got the problem though.

Settings are:

hdd mm.mmm; wgs 84; metric; magnetic; and variance = 003 deg West

only difference between this and mine (etrex H) is the variance is showing as 002deg West

I don't seem to be able to change this though - but would it make a difference? :)

Thanks for any suggestions

Is the datum set to WGS84?

Yes it is - I restored defaults to get it to this, as it wasn't..... still got the problem though.

Settings are:

hdd mm.mmm; wgs 84; metric; magnetic; and variance = 003 deg West

only difference between this and mine (etrex H) is the variance is showing as 002deg West

I don't seem to be able to change this though - but would it make a difference? :)

Thanks for any suggestions

As others have suggested, my first thought was a DATUM mismatch. If the settings you provided are the same on both units, I am at a loss to diagnose your problem. I wish I could check both units and choose those settings manually.

I can say that the Magnetic Declination (variance) is NOT contributing to this issue. It makes absolutely no difference, but if you set the North reference to TRUE instead or MAGNETIC that 1 Degree Magnetic difference would not display.

I assume it came from another area and that it hasn't been used for a while. Be sure to rebuild the almanac. This can be done by starting the unit and setting it out with a clear view of the sky for about a half hour. Turn on WAAS and disable the battery save option. A system reset shouldn't be necessary, but an almanac reset is recommended if that unit has one.

I assume it came from another area and that it hasn't been used for a while. Be sure to rebuild the almanac. This can be done by starting the unit and setting it out with a clear view of the sky for about a half hour. Turn on WAAS and disable the battery save option. A system reset shouldn't be necessary, but an almanac reset is recommended if that unit has one.

not sure whether this has an almanac reset option. I've just bunged it, turned on, in the garden and will leave it there for half an hour. It's in "normal" mode, not battery save mode.

What's WAAS?

Thanks all

Hi, I've just had exactly the same thing! Bought a second hand unit (ex-mod) that arrived the other day, went out to find some caches and was consistently about the same distance off each time. My sat nav put me straight on the caches though! It's been outside for 20 mins so far (using previous posters advice) so will see how it goes!