Garmin Bluecharts confusing. Which one?

MajBach

Been awhile since I have been here. I'm sure this topic has come up before but I can't seem to find the answers so far.

I'm taking a trip to the west coast soon ans am programming my 76 Cx with some marine charts. Problem is the overwhelming number of charts there are. In many areas, there can be over a dozen different charts for the same area. I have figured out how to get MapSource to show only one specific chart for any particular area but given the hundreds of charts for an area as small as Vancouver-Victoria-Seattle area, I can't realistically go through them all. So how do you decide?

Even more confusing is how does both Mapsource and the GPS unit decide which map to show? For example, if I am looking at an area on Mapsource that has 5 charts overlapping the same spot-each one with different details, how does it decide which one to show? I know from experience it doesn't combine the info. Same question for the GPS unit. How does it determine which chart to show? In mapsource, I can least tell it which one to display, I can't do that with the GPS unit though.

Thanks in advance for your help.

MajBach

Just as with paper charts, there a re specific "detailed" charts of harbours etc. If you zoom in on a specific area that has a more detailed chart the GPS displays that "map area" if you are simply cruising by in the open ocean or lake, then there is no real reason to show details about slips, nav buoys etc inside the detailed area (assuming it is a distance away of course) if there are hazzards to nav etc, then the unit will display them of course. It's kind of like having a map of city streets and a map of highways - if you are driving across Canada you are not really concerned with every side street - unless you exit the highway (in which case it would be nice to have them)...likewise if you are downtown Toronto, you really do not care too much about the highways in Mississauga, but want details about every small street around you.

It's like having all the charts available, onlty the GPS decides which one to "look at" based on where you are, or your zoom settings at that particular moment.

---> Load all the ones for the area (and then slightly beyond) that you will be near, as you never know (especially boating) where you may end up forced by weather, repairs etc....

Hope that makes sence....

DD

When I load Bluecharts maps I select all of them in an area of the coast. The unit seems to decide which ones to use based on your zoom level and detail settings.

---> Load all the ones for the area (and then slightly beyond) that you will be near, as you never know (especially boating) where you may end up forced by weather, repairs etc....

DD

When I load Bluecharts maps I select all of them in an area of the coast. The unit seems to decide which ones to use based on your zoom level and detail settings.

I agree with this method and it is the one I have used in the past in the Great Lakes. Generally, the smaller maps are more detailed. BUT, I've noticed on the BC coast there are American and Canadian charts of the same area. Which one is used by the unit in this case? Further, there are charts with significant overlaps with different copyright dates. I'd rather take the one of less detail if it is 10 years newer.

I thought there might be an easier answer. Still curious to know how the GPS decides though. How does it know the level of detail on the smaller maps?

I dunno... maybe this is a question for Garmin.... but I would like to know the answer too :mad:

DD

DD

I agree with this method and it is the one I have used in the past in the Great Lakes. Generally, the smaller maps are more detailed. BUT, I've noticed on the BC coast there are American and Canadian charts of the same area. Which one is used by the unit in this case? Further, there are charts with significant overlaps with different copyright dates. I'd rather take the one of less detail if it is 10 years newer.

I thought there might be an easier answer. Still curious to know how the GPS decides though. How does it know the level of detail on the smaller maps?