I want one of these!

swizzle

If you like, I can stop by his house (less than 1 mile from me) and ask if he has a parts list or plans.

You should at least give him a log on his page - no one has done it yet.

The person who said it was less than a mile from his house is the same person who submitted the waymark thus he would be logging his own, which he can if he wants. This post in the forums has made the number of people viewing this waymark jump substantially.

As a geocacher, I love it, however, the Muggles in my netghborhood are not likely to drive by and think, "Oh, he must be a geocacher!" I'm not sure I want to be connected with some of the ideas they might come up with.

The neighbors would likely think the owner is either active or former military, and/or a gun enthusiast, none of which is inherently bad. I fall into two of those categories, and if anyone thinks ill of me for being so, the problem is definitely on their end, not mine.

I appreciate the craftsmanship, and have ten ammo cans identical to the one used to assemble the mailbox. However, I think the idea sucks from the standpoint of a mail carrier. Most mailboxes are designed for speed and efficiency, this one requires the carrier to stop, release the buckle, then lift the lid up. I know mail carriers already have busy days, last thing I want to do, is slow them down anymore. Just another perspective.

I appreciate the craftsmanship, and have ten ammo cans identical to the one used to assemble the mailbox. However, I think the idea sucks from the standpoint of a mail carrier. Most mailboxes are designed for speed and efficiency, this one requires the carrier to stop, release the buckle, then lift the lid up. I know mail carriers already have busy days, last thing I want to do, is slow them down anymore. Just another perspective.

I believe it has been modified to open from the front. We'll find out once I've talked to the home owner.

I believe it has been modified to open from the front. We'll find out once I've talked to the home owner.

Maybe Clan Riffster could run by there during his rounds and report back. Would you mind, CR?

If you look real close it has been modified to open from the front. You can see the lip of the front part wraps around the side, and it appears there is a hinge on the bottom. It also looks like the buckle has been welded so no one could clip it shut. There is a pull hook added on the front to open it.

There are standard for mailboxes, and if you make a homemade one that wasn't easy for the mailman to use I bet you wouldn't get your mail in the box :):D

The neighbors would likely think the owner is either active or former military, and/or a gun enthusiast, none of which is inherently bad. I fall into two of those categories, and if anyone thinks ill of me for being so, the problem is definitely on their end, not mine.

I would assume the home owner is a huge fan of the History Channel show "Mail Call," hosted by R. Lee Ermey.

Which is a heck of a fun show.

If you look real close it has been modified to open from the front. You can see the lip of the front part wraps around the side, and it appears there is a hinge on the bottom. It also looks like the buckle has been welded so no one could clip it shut. There is a pull hook added on the front to open it.

There are standard for mailboxes, and if you make a homemade one that wasn't easy for the mailman to use I bet you wouldn't get your mail in the box :):D

After taking a closer look at the image, I can see the modification. Either way it is still pretty cool.

Maybe Clan Riffster could run by there during his rounds and report back. Would you mind, CR?

Do you really want to ask Riff to drive 20 miles, he live on the other side of the county, to inquire when I live about 3 or 4 blocks away? I'll gladly step aside if that's what you really want.

Would you mind, CR?

I wouldn't mind, but I bet my boss would object. I live in the south end of Volusia County, and work in Seminole County. When I go to work, I travel about 5 miles south to get to the county line. That waypoint would require that I travel about 20 miles north, knock on a door, then travel 25 miles back to Seminole. Our taxpayers don't object too strenuously if I need to leave Seminole County for official business, but asking for build directions for a mailbox probably wouldn't qualify.

I think Fegan would be a far more logical candidate for this task. :)