>> PHISHING ALERT <<<

I received what initially seemed to be an official communication from Groundspeak. The indication was that my Premium Membership had lapsed. They wanted all of the usual information. A quick check of my acct. revealed BOGOSITY.

Someone or someones may be working the Geocaching Community. >> Be Aware and Beware <<

This thread should probably be moved to the Geocaching.com Web Site forum.

Not sure what anybody would have to gain by accessing GC accounts...nonetheless Groundspeak would probably be interested to see the email if you wanted to forward it to them at contact@geocaching.com

Edited by Yossarian

There's a simple way to remain immune to these phishing scams both here and for any other web service: DON'T EVER USE LINKS IN EMAIL MESSAGES! NEVER EVER, PERIOD! Always access your accounts through normal means (the websites' menu system) and you basically can't be victimized by email phishing scams.

Pete

Something doesn't sound right here. I'd like to see this verified. It could have been something as simple as the email was accidentally sent. You can click the link and see where it sends you.

Sending a ton of random folks info about a mainstream bank or PayPal will yield some folks but how many random people are premium members of Groundspeak? This seems doubtful.

Following on Knight2000's suggestion, you can copy and paste the URL into Karen's Discombobulator and followup with Karen's WhoIs to discover the owner of the suspect URL.......for inquiring minds.

Or, as others have again pointed out.....don't click on email hypertext!!

Cheers,

Jim

If using a Mac, and the native 'Mail' application/browser; just rest the cursor(w/out clicking) over the

hypertext link, and it will show the address that clicking would deliver you to in 'Safari'. Not as much

data as the above mentioned method, but much quicker. Pretty easy to tell by the address alone the

"bogosity" w/out a bunch of hoops.

Norm