How many move on...versus how many don't!

peeweestierch

Ok, granted I do have two GC's sitting under my name right now I've had for too long (actually my other half has them, and due to his "lack of time" to go caching, he's mailing them to me to move on - he's in Tucson, and I'm back in Indianapolis after three months!).

EXCUSES EXCUSES on my part..

....so, how many geocoins do you think, percentage wise, really do continue on?

I've contacted the owners and let them know that I'm sitting on their coins due to various reasons, but, most people seem to just sit on them and never say anything, or just don't log them and keep them?

My dear stepmother, Allentown, bought a bunch of beautiful GC's to distribute. Some of them are just being sat on, when all the Virtual Ghost coins she's planted have "disappeared" without being accounted for from caches.

Perhaps I'm just bitter, I think it's so cruddy when people don't pass them on.

We have arguments on what is proper and polite...and how things go in the GC world...

-Do you write the last people who found the cache, whether they log it or not, and ask about the coin?

-Is it quite common that people just don't move on geocoins? What is your percentage like?

-I used to think that this game was an honor game, and now, with the lack of movement and thievery of geocoins it makes me sad to think it's not.

-Are there techniques etc that you use when you first decide to plant, or move on a geocoin as to where you place it?

What are your thoughts and reports about geocoin/TB's moving on or not...

Had to rant! Thanks for listening and feel free to rant as well! :P

I haven't taken the time to figure out a percentage yet, as it would probably depress me into not making/releasing any new ones. I can understand bitterness, when I placed TWO Geowoodstock VI coins into my very own Cache, and they BOTH disappeared without ever getting one single log. Could it be that one person was sooo greedy that they had to take BOTH??

-Do you write the last people who found the cache, whether they log it or not, and ask about the coin?

I wouldn't ask the last visitor out of hand but if I did it would be to simply ask them if they remember seeing it sitting in the cache. Researching the logs after the drop may or may not give you an indication of who took it or when it went missing. I would leave it for the coin owner to do the work and I would recommend they never accuse anyone of keeping a coin. The email should be polite and friendly. "Hi, I was wondering if you've had a chance, etc, etc."

-Are there techniques etc that you use when you first decide to plant, or move on a geocoin as to where you place it?

Keep in mind that once it's moved the strategic placement idea goes out the window. Movement is random chance after that.

Bottom line, never release anything you are not willing to lose. I think coins are too cool to make good travelers so I don't release them into the wild.

I think the percentage of coins actually moving has gone down over the past few years. When they were rare novelties people were really excited and considerate about moving them on. Now there are soooo many coins in caches it's easy to take 'em for granted. So they get lost in swag bags, behind couch cushions, in desk drawers and bedside tables, under car seats, in coat pockets or backpacks. I've seen coins sit for months in caches then get a rash of discoveries only to sit for months more in the same cache. It's rare that in the wild they will be appreciated as much as they are by their owners... unless you're an owner too.

As an owner you get to see and feel the loss, how it happened and maybe how to prevent it or avoid it in the future.... for others. I see coins left it the dumbest of caches that are just ripe for muggleage and would try to avoid dropping one myself in such a cache. But they get lost. Caches get muggled. And geocachers find other hobbies and pursuits.

I would have to agree with BlueDeuce about not leaving valuables in the woods with a waypoint to get to them if you can't stand the loss.

As an owner you get to see and feel the loss, how it happened and maybe how to prevent it or avoid it in the future.... for others. I see coins left it the dumbest of caches that are just ripe for muggleage and would try to avoid dropping one myself in such a cache. But they get lost. Caches get muggled. And geocachers find other hobbies and pursuits.

I would have to agree with BlueDeuce about not leaving valuables in the woods with a waypoint to get to them if you can't stand the loss.

So true. As someone who has set free dozens of geocoins free, I just shake my head when I see how many have gone missing. Quite sad as some go missing right from the first cache I put them in.

I have so many nice coins that I would like to set free but it seems that the nicer the coin design is, the quicker it gets stolen. So I only tend to release the less exciting coins with the least interesting designs. Oh well.

But I refuse to quit releasing geocoins and let the thieves win. I will continue to regretably release geocoins and thus keep a cosistent supply to thieves going.

Edited by Boogus & PirateGirl

I've set about 30 coins free; some continue to move, some were moved on (or were they,) only to dissappear after being dropped in a cache. My favorite is the chiro-cache coin that dissappeared after being taken by a boy scout troop, out learning about geocaching. I had e-mailed well over a month ago, and left messages for the troop leaders to contact me (maybe they just didn't have the same e-mail address, or understand geocoin etiqutate (sp?),) without response.

I will be releasing another coin in memory of Logan, with the help of a forum friend. I hope it makes its way around the caching world a little longer than the Kathy's Celtic Star I released last year...also logged dropped in a cache (?), never to be seen again.

I guess I need to retrieve that coin so it can be discovered...it was one of two of (error) coins with an identical number.

ILYK

So true. As someone who has set free dozens of geocoins free, I just shake my head when I see how many have gone missing. Quite sad as some go missing right from the first cache I put them in.

I have so many nice coins that I would like to set free but it seems that the nicer the coin design is, the quicker it gets stolen. So I only tend to release the less exciting coins with the least interesting designs. Oh well.

But I refuse to quit releasing geocoins and let the thieves win. I will continue to regretably release geocoins and thus keep a cosistent supply to thieves going.

That reminds me to add a coin to my wants list...one of the very first Coins I released was one that I found in a Cache(unactivated) it was a Printr1, and I really regret now that I sent it traveling. That was the coin that got me interested in coins at all, and now I don't even have one, that one has gone missing.

I agree about not quitting the release of coins. I will still be releasing hundreds of Look Twice Coins(getting ready to mint 450 more), and my RE personal that is going to mint anyday...there will be 250 to start, and they are all coming PreActivated, so I can release them into Caches!!! They have an adoption clause after 25 Moves/Discoveries, so maybe this will cut down the desire to pocket them. I mean...keep it in your pocket if you want...but show it around, and after 25 people have discovered it then it's yours to adopt. I'm thinking of doing this with some Look Twice Coins too. Can't wait to see how this works out.

Ok, granted I do have two GC's sitting under my name right now I've had for too long (actually my other half has them, and due to his "lack of time" to go caching, he's mailing them to me to move on - he's in Tucson, and I'm back in Indianapolis after three months!).

EXCUSES EXCUSES on my part..

....so, how many geocoins do you think, percentage wise, really do continue on?

I've contacted the owners and let them know that I'm sitting on their coins due to various reasons, but, most people seem to just sit on them and never say anything, or just don't log them and keep them?

My dear stepmother, Allentown, bought a bunch of beautiful GC's to distribute. Some of them are just being sat on, when all the Virtual Ghost coins she's planted have "disappeared" without being accounted for from caches.

Perhaps I'm just bitter, I think it's so cruddy when people don't pass them on.

We have arguments on what is proper and polite...and how things go in the GC world...

-Is it quite common that people just don't move on geocoins? What is your percentage like?

-I used to think that this game was an honor game, and now, with the lack of movement and thievery of geocoins it makes me sad to think it's not.

What are your thoughts and reports about geocoin/TB's moving on or not...

Had to rant! Thanks for listening and feel free to rant as well! :P

GeoCoins - Why do I want to buy another one just to have it go off-line? I agree that I get bitter about folks who never move them on. Even when I contact the holder if known, its a cold shoulder. GRRR. If this keeps up there won't be any in circulation in the near future.

I am still awaiting the arrival of my first geocoin... but I think that I will probably activate it and then send a "copy" of it out. That way I can replace a 50 cents worth of coin protector, washer, and copied picture of the coin instead of a 15 dollar coin. Call me cheap, but I will probably try it that way first to see if it works. I figure that it is better to have pictures of a coin circulating than to have no coins circulating at all. Maybe one of these days when I am made of money I will put the real thing out. Hopefully that time comes soon. Havn't seen too many bugs or coins floatin around in these caches.