Hello, Mr. Slither!

sotto2

It pays to keep your eyes open and your wits about you while having fun out there geocaching, folks.

Last week I almost put my hand down right in front of Mr. Slither coiled up over there on the left in this photo. Fortunately I hesitated a moment for a look around. I was a good 4 hours away by rough 4WD road from any kind of medical attention.

2rnzqyc.jpg

That's one thing I am surprised I have not yet run across down here in Florida. I have seen one or two snakes before but nothing poisonous yet (at least I don't think). We have pigmy rattlers all over down here, and some of the areas I find my self in seem to be prime snake habitat. I always have my walking stick with me, and I am very careful about where I step and even more so where I put my hand.

Great picture though......was this guy guarding the cache entrance?? :P

One of our local caches was archived so I took over the spot and placed a cache named SLITHER!!

I have a small rubber snake wired to the cap. You unscrew the cap and out he pops. The that same cap I have a larger snake wired up and set off to the side of the cache between a dual stump. When you pull on it he pops out from his hidey hole. I also have the cache covered in bark and a rubber coiled snake on top. So far only one person has found it and said nothing about it. The previos cache mentioned that they thought they saw a rattler next to the cache. I figure that's what the attributes are for. Swizzle

That's one thing I am surprised I have not yet run across down here in Florida. I have seen one or two snakes before but nothing poisonous yet (at least I don't think). We have pigmy rattlers all over down here, and some of the areas I find my self in seem to be prime snake habitat. I always have my walking stick with me, and I am very careful about where I step and even more so where I put my hand.

After 1 1/2 years of geocaching in Florida...I manage to get into the woods once or twice a month...I've seen exactly 2 poisonous snakes: 1 coral snake and 1 pygmy rattler.

I've seen more snakes while golfing than geocaching. :P