Cache Container Suggestion

Can someone suggest a good container that is roughly 8" wide, maybe 6" deep, and as little as 2" high (but this dimension isn't as critical) when sitting in its normal orientation? I'm looking for something that'll stay waterproof in rain and snow, but won't likely be submerged.

I've considered some of the smaller ammo boxes, but they'd have to lie on their sides to fit this configuration. I think there are Pelican-type boxes out there that'd fit the bill, but would also be theft bait.

I need five of them for a puzzle multi I've been planning for a while, so staying relatively cheap would be ideal. The less it looks like tupperware, the better. I'm imagining something metal with a gasketed lid like an ammo can, but where the largest side opens rather than the smallest.

Thanks!

-CD

Based on your requirements I can think of two options, neither of which totally meet your needs. A 30 cal ammo can will be fine laying on its side but the opening is on the small side. There are lock n lock containers that would be about the size you want but they look rather like tupperware despite the fact that they are excellent containers. If the opening is more important I would suggest going with the lock n locks. You can always paint them and/or apply other camo.

I was in a Army Surplus store a while ago, and found an interesting can.

Guy told me it was a French first aid kit, or something similer.

Very much what you describe, and metal.

A metal can makes a very neat sound when poked with a stick during the hunt.

So does, uh, something plastic. :P

PP

I was in a Army Surplus store a while ago, and found an interesting can.

Guy told me it was a French first aid kit, or something similer.

Very much what you describe, and metal.

A metal can makes a very neat sound when poked with a stick during the hunt.

So does, uh, something plastic. :P

PP

The U.S. Army 12-unit motor vehicle first-aid can (6545-922-1200) is probably similar: 9.5"L x 5"W x 3.5"H, gasketed seal (like an ammo can), rather rare though.

Major Surplus Military boxes

In the above link, click on the photos of these two for more details. I saw the German one in the store, not the French one.

The German one is closer to your dimensions, and is built very well. Thick, well coated steel, with a big rubber seal, but expensive.

The French box is perfect, and at $10 it's going to work nicely for my cache idea.

In regards to Clan Riffster's post, I'm not concerned about leakage or anything, it's more just the orientation of the box relative to the container it's going to live inside... it just makes more sense this way, and will fit more with the theme of the whole cache adventure.

Thanks everyone!