Loooong caches

Just curious as to how long some of the longest caches are out there, in terms of distance traveled by foot. Are there records or a way to search worldwide or state-by-state? I recently released a long distance cache, and someone from our breakfast group said it might be one of the longest in NYS, so it got me thinking. Being the longest wasn't the point - i'm just a long distance runner who decided to merge 2 passions, and it made me wonder how to search out other multis like this one. Thanks.

Nice job on your Multi :P

This is probably the hardest one, spread out over several days, that I've done, and sounds somewhat similar to your concept:

Tour de Nisene Teamwork Challenge

I kept track of my mileage and I did something in the neighborhood of 75 miles and 18,000 feet of vertical to complete it. Most of it was on foot, and a few Stages I did by bike. The Final Stage was a 12 or so mile hike that we did as a group :)

I also did a similar Multi of my own, but using existing virtual features to derive the Final coordinates. That one is 30 miles round trip and about 8,000 feet vertical.

I don't know of any way to search specifically for such caches, other than by Terrain Rating or by the "Significant Hike" Attribute. Around here, it's mostly word of mouth that the really hard caches get to be known.

Just curious as to how long some of the longest caches are out there, in terms of distance traveled by foot. Are there records or a way to search worldwide or state-by-state? I recently released a long distance cache, and someone from our breakfast group said it might be one of the longest in NYS, so it got me thinking. Being the longest wasn't the point - i'm just a long distance runner who decided to merge 2 passions, and it made me wonder how to search out other multis like this one. Thanks.

Using a Pocket Query you could just filter on multi caches with a terrain of 4 or 4.5 and you're going to find a lot of candidates (don't use a 5 for terrain as that will pull in caches which require special equipment like climbing gear or a boat).

I couldn't tell from the listing how great a distance your cache requires but I've heard of multi caches which span continents. In your case, however, I suspect that the assumption that you'll proceed from one stage to the next on foot. I know of a cache in the Rochester area that has to be done by canoe or kayak and it's a 7.5 mile trip.

As far as long distances required for NY caches go...

The Five Star NY cache in Manhattan could theoretically be done entirely on foot and from looking at the listing I suspect you'd cover a pretty significant distance. I'm sure that there are others like it, but there is a traditional cache called French Louie's cave in the Adirondacks that is 10 miles from the nearest trailhead. The page listing has the following "recommendation" : "make sure to plan to stay the night at the nearby lean-to or campsite."

For total distance required to complete a cache in NY, I suspect the an all counties or Delorme Challenge caches would probably rack up more miles over time to satisfy the challenge than any other cache.

from the UK side, try the Chiltern 100, One hundred caches and a few more). a hall of fame for those who do it in a day - around 20+ miles. My brother did it in 15 hours in one day - could have been quicker but raining all day and got on a wrong route for an hour GC1EB13

any one know of other long caches in the UK, let me know - thanks

Here in the Pittsburgh area, we have Raccoon Loop - Hiking 20 Miles for One Smiley? - a multicache in Raccoon Creek State Park. I am saving this for a milestone find.

As epic as that cache is, you can still cheat it by bailing out where the trail intersects a park road, and driving to the next trailhead on a different day. In the Mid-Atlantic, it's hard to put together a ten mile hike that doesn't cross a road or otherwise bump into civilization. For those, we head towards West Virginia, for caches like Lion's Head in the Dolly Sods Wilderness, or to western Maryland, for caches like The Upper Yough Trek, a 10 mile riverside death march that hasn't even been attempted since January 2008.

Maybe this one?

GC1FPN1

Nope. Not even close. :D

Crossing The Mason Dixon Line covers 2400 miles, as the crow flies. :)

For cache GC19AQP - Crossing the Mason Dixon Line, the seeker can fly from Waypoint 1 to Waypoint 2 and back (the cache page recommends having a counterpart and mailing/phoning in the coordinates).

The cache GC1FPN1 - Munich to Venice is a 28 leg multi, involving a 520 km (320 miles) hike through the Alpes, and takes a month to complete. 3 finders to this day (3 more than I expected).