MS Streets and trips and Garmin

I tried out my new Summit HC today with an older version of streets and trips but it won't recognize my GPSr, it works with my old (and on the fritz) Legend but not the new (and hopefully more reliable) Summit. If I download the new version of streets and trips, will it work with the new garmin? Other work around solutions?

Thanks for the input PDOP's I didn't see it last night before I posted Update #2, I followed the link, but it appears that it only works on the GPS 18. GPSgate worked pretty well for me today, only had one issue where S&T stopped getting signal, GPSgate said that the GPSr was still connected, but wasn't recieving data, shut the summit off and turned it back on and we were good to go. I think the GPSgate express license is $12.95, I'd say its worth it at this point

After a little more research, it appears that Garmin has abandonded NMEA...

Interesting. :P

I have a Colorado 400t and the Interface options include Garmin Serial, Garmin Spanner and NMEA In/Out.

Perhaps some specific models don't support NMEA...but I don't think Garmin has abandonded NMEA.

Thanks for the input PDOP's I didn't see it last night before I posted Update #2, I followed the link, but it appears that it only works on the GPS 18. GPSgate worked pretty well for me today, only had one issue where S&T stopped getting signal, GPSgate said that the GPSr was still connected, but wasn't recieving data, shut the summit off and turned it back on and we were good to go. I think the GPSgate express license is $12.95, I'd say its worth it at this point

You might also try xport. I switch after having several problems over the years with GPSGate and getting tired of dealing with their "not our problem" form of customer service.

No, Xport does not do any translation. GPSGate does.

My eTrex Legend HCx outputs NMEA and it works great with MS Streets&Trips and Mappoint, DeLorme Street Atlas, iNav's iGuidance and Navmii. The only thing that has a problem with it is Garmin's Mobile PC. Go figure.... :unsure:

Oh yeah, the Legend HCx will also output Garmin protocol if the nav program asks it to. When I connect the Legend and start up Garmin's old nRoute program, which only understands Garmin protocol, the Legend sweetly switches to Garmin protocol and nRoute works happy as a clam.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

That's odd, I'd think the Summit HC and Legend HCx should be very similar, I wonder why the HCx outputs NMEA and the HC doesn't. GPSgate sent me an email for 20% off, so I paid the $10 for GPSgate express, I know it works so I figure it was worth it. I have another road trip coming up tomorrow and my wife does the navigating and doesn't react well when the GPS and/or laptop doesn't work properly, so I am going to stick with what works instead of experimenting :blink:

I'm skeptical that Legend HCx outputs NMEA over USB. ...

Did I not make it clear that I have actually tested my Legend HCx with all of the software I listed?

If not, let me be explicit:

I have personally tested the eTrex Legend HCx with:

Microsoft Streets&Trips 2008

Microsoft Mappoint 2009

iNav iGuidance 2008

DeLorme Street Atlas Plus 2008

Geolife Navmii

Garmin Mobile PC

All of the above, except Garmin's Mobile PC, work flawlessly with the eTrex Legend HCx.

The Legend HCx sends standard NMEA data through the USB port by default.

It will also send Garmin protocol if the nav program requests it. I have tested with Garmin's nRoute program which only works with Garmin protocol. When the Legend HCx is connected and I run nRoute, the Legend HCx switches to Garmin protocol and nRoute works perfectly with it.

I hope I made it more clear this time. This is not a matter for speculation. This is from actual use with all of these programs.

... That'd make it the only Garmin to do so.

It is my understanding that many of the Garmin handhelds send NMEA through the USB connection. That would include most of the current eTrex models (Legend and Vista for sure, possibly Venture) as well as the GPSMAP 60CSx and 76CSx. I believe it may also include the Colorados, Oregons and Dakotas. I have not tested any of those but I have seen posts in this forum that lead me to believe they do.

...ken...

... That'd make it the only Garmin to do so.

It is my understanding that many of the Garmin handhelds send NMEA through the USB connection. That would include most of the current eTrex models (Legend and Vista for sure, possibly Venture) as well as the GPSMAP 60CSx and 76CSx. I believe it may also include the Colorados, Oregons and Dakotas. I have not tested any of those but I have seen posts in this forum that lead me to believe they do.

...ken...

I just got the garmen etrax venture HC It does send NMEA via usb also but there was a setting in tools that you had to turn on. I have tested it with S&t and copilot

I just got the garmen etrax venture HC It does send NMEA via usb also but there was a setting in tools that you had to turn on. I have tested it with S&t and copilot

Hi Tumbleweed,

I can't find any setting on my Legend HCx. It seems like it just automatically sends NMEA over the USB connection and if the nav program requests Garmin protocol it will switch. If it has been sending Garmin protocol, like after it was being used with nRoute, then I have to power it off and back on to get it back to NMEA. Where in the menus did you find the setting on the Venture?

...ken...

Okay, I have a confession to make:

I am an idiot!!

I did all the testing I stated above. The only problem is that I did it with my Garmin GPS10x (Bluetooth receiver that does indeed do NMEA by default).

I have also tested all those programs with my Legend HCx but I was using GPSGate Express when I did it. I just checked my netbook configuration and it has GPSGate installed. There's no need to use it with the GPS10x so the only reason I would have it there is for the Legend.

I repeat I am an idiot!!

My sincere apologies to Robert for contradicting him and to jb12string for misleading him about the eTrex and NMEA. (Perhaps we should shift the discussion to guitars instead of GPSs. I'm sure I can embarass myself just as well on that subject.)

Sorry folks..... :(

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina