etrex legend hcx

spektrum2

Happy Friday everyone!

I'm sitting here with my shiney new legend hcx trying to download some caches,easy gps tells me there no

gps reciever plugged in but my computer can see it as drive f,the interface picture is on the gps screen,all of that went just like the manual said,I have the correct model choosen in EGPS......am I missing something

obvious here my computer skills are average at best so i'm hoping its something dumb...like me :blink:

As far as other info:I have a 4GB card in it and I'm running vista on a laptop if thats any help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Rob

Happy Friday everyone!

I'm sitting here with my shiney new legend hcx trying to download some caches,easy gps tells me there no

gps reciever plugged in but my computer can see it as drive f,the interface picture is on the gps screen,all of that went just like the manual said,I have the correct model choosen in EGPS......am I missing something

obvious here my computer skills are average at best so i'm hoping its something dumb...like me :blink:

As far as other info:I have a 4GB card in it and I'm running vista on a laptop if thats any help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Rob

You can also use MapSource - the software that came with your unit - to download caches.

Now, a couple of questions?

1. Does EasyGps know that you are using a gps on a usb and not on a serial port?

2. I'm suspicious that your computer is not seeing your gps. If it is showing up as a drive (i.e. f:), the gps is looking at the card, not the unit. Waypoint and track data are filed in the fixed memory, not on the card. When you connect the gps to the computer it should default to the unit, not to the card.

Check your device manager (this is an XP solution - someone can correct me if the device manager in Vista is different) and see if there is a yellow question marks associated with one or more USB hubs. If so, your computer is not seeing the device. Unistall the driver associated with the usb hub that has the yellow question mark. Turn off Easy GPS. Connect your gps to the computer and turn it on, again, and then let the operating system try to reconfigure the driver for a usb hub.

Happy Friday everyone!

For it to show up as a drive, you would have had to select USB Mass Storage on the GPS under Interface in the Setup. Don't do that. Boot up you GPS, the start up your software. Your software should now see the GPS unit as a USB device. Caches get loaded to the unit, not the datacard. Edited by coggins

You can also use MapSource - the software that came with your unit - to download caches.

1. Does EasyGps know that you are using a gps on a usb and not on a serial port?

2. I'm suspicious that your computer is not seeing your gps. If it is showing up as a drive (i.e. f:), the gps is looking at the card, not the unit. Waypoint and track data are filed in the fixed memory, not on the card. When you connect the gps to the computer it should default to the unit, not to the card.

Check your device manager (this is an XP solution - someone can correct me if the device manager in Vista is different) and see if there is a yellow question marks associated with one or more USB hubs. If so, your computer is not seeing the device. Unistall the driver associated with the usb hub that has the yellow question mark. Turn off Easy GPS. Connect your gps to the computer and turn it on, again, and then let the operating system try to reconfigure the driver for a usb hub.

Ok lets see.... Easygps asked for and knows its on USB.The device manager sees it as "Garmin etrex hcx

micro sd usb device" and says its functioning normally.I have tried removing the card and just sending to the unit but get the same error.I will remove the card again and see what the device manager sees it as then.....beyond that I will try mapshare and see what happens with that.

many thanks Rob

Ok lets see.... Easygps asked for and knows its on USB.The device manager sees it as "Garmin etrex hcx

micro sd usb device" and says its functioning normally.I have tried removing the card and just sending to the unit but get the same error.I will remove the card again and see what the device manager sees it as then.....beyond that I will try mapshare and see what happens with that.

many thanks Rob

For it to show up as a drive, you would have had to select USB Mass Storage on the GPS under Interface in the Setup. Don't do that. Boot up you GPS, the start up your software. Your software should now see the GPS unit as a USB device. Caches get loaded to the unit, not the datacard.

Ok... that seemed to work,no error message but the files are not in the unit when I go find the geocaches

page its says none found.I checked the device manager with card out and it now sees it as"garmin usb device"so that explains that (Thankyou very much :blink: ) Now to find out where the files went I dont believe they are on the unit.

For it to show up as a drive, you would have had to select USB Mass Storage on the GPS under Interface in the Setup. Don't do that. Boot up you GPS, the start up your software. Your software should now see the GPS unit as a USB device. Caches get loaded to the unit, not the datacard.

Ok... that seemed to work,no error message but the files are not in the unit when I go find the geocaches

page its says none found.I checked the device manager with card out and it now sees it as"garmin usb device"so that explains that (Thankyou very much :blink: ) Now to find out where the files went I dont believe they are on the unit.

I don't use Easy GPS so I can't help with the details there. Check your waypoints on the unit, in fact View by Name to show all in case they are a distance from your location. If found, then check the icon to make sure the geocache incon is being used that you selected when you set up the geocaching function on your GPS.

Edited by coggins

Well its pays to read the fine print....I just just noticed when I went into find geocaches (near you)...I was indoors,I went outside and they are all there.Coggins/Jmungdinger many thanks to you both for your help.

Now I'm wondering if theres a page to view these files when the gps is off and indoors...but I have much playing to do with this thing,its quite a leap from the summit.Thanks again guys!!

Rob

Well its pays to read the fine print....I just just noticed when I went into find geocaches (near you)...I was indoors,I went outside and they are all there.Coggins/Jmungdinger many thanks to you both for your help.

Now I'm wondering if theres a page to view these files when the gps is off and indoors...but I have much playing to do with this thing,its quite a leap from the summit.Thanks again guys!!

Rob

You can set it to Demo Mode and select a new location to check other areas indoors.