International Shipping...

Odyssey Voyager

while answering another post today, i got to thinking about international geocoin shipments, and i was wondering if anyone else has had international geocoin shipments lost in the mail? what is the percentage of international mail you have had lost or stolen? what is the longest time you've had to wait for a geocoin delivery? and, are you wary or nervous about buying geocoins from an international seller? thanks for the feedback!

I have had one purchase go missing, but Ernie is wonderful and shipped a replacement.

That one missing is out of 20-30 purchases.

If I have any question at all, I use my credit card on PayPal.

Then, if necessary, I can dependably get refunds through my credit card company.

yes, i also heard a horror story about a shipment being detained by australian customs for several months! i'm hoping my latest dissapointment will end with a surprise in my mailbox some day! that would be...toot sweet! :blink:

If it's the one I'm thinking of it was out of NZ and the entire bundle of addressed mailers to buyers was held up by customs - so the story went. Methinks the sender was too honest in the customs declarations and fell into a couple of unexpected (to the unwary) trap doors.

yes, i also heard a horror story about a shipment being detained by australian customs for several months! i'm hoping my latest dissapointment will end with a surprise in my mailbox some day! that would be...toot sweet! :blink:

If it's the one I'm thinking of it was out of NZ and the entire bundle of addressed mailers to buyers was held up by customs - so the story went. Methinks the sender was too honest in the customs declarations and fell into a couple of unexpected (to the unwary) trap doors.

i suppose in this day and age, customs must make decisions based on safety first. so delays are to be expected on occasion.

this story is unrelated to geocoins, but back in 2007, i also sent several large care packages to a friend in the U.S. Army Reserve Unit serving in Iraq, and after about 6 months, i had one of the packages turn up, back on my doorstep! the package was well beaten and battered, with lots of tape repairs, but to my great surprise, it had most of the contents still inside...lol...it seemed to me that the package could have been delivered to space troopers on the moon with all the miles logged going around the world and back, several times over! :blink:

the second delivery attempt to Iraq was successful! :huh:

I didn't want to answer here for fear of jinxing myself, but I am crossing fingers as I type...

I have so far had a good trading record from Australia and I have just sent out 3 different mailings of my personal coin. I got the 'what's in here?' check it over twice....put it over there from one postie so I'm pretty nervous. She said, 'you know some things are illegal to send in the mail, don't you' and I said, "yup, there's a reason for that."

I always use packing tape to surround my envelopes so they don't burst or get ripped open and apparently she didn't like that so I explained the reasons...

All it takes is one disgruntled postie...

...All it takes is one disgruntled postie...

that is SO funny! last year, i tried to purchase several inexpensive wall mirrors from buyers on ebay. i decided to skip on the insurance because the items were fairly cheap. however, the mirrors kept arriving in broken pieces. they were all marked "fragile glass" or "handle with care". all shipments seemed to be packed fairly well, and how the damaged occured seemed a mystery. so, just for grins, i asked one buyer to pack the item carefully, but please DO NOT write anything on the outside of the package about handling with care. sure enough, the package arrived undamaged and in perfect condition! to this day, i am convinced either a postal employee or my local carrier, purposely would drop all the previous marked packages just to break what was inside! :blink:

I have never had anything go missing in the post (several hundred packages to/from USA and Europe)

Post to Australia usually takes 1 to 3 weeks.

Had 2 packages take 6 weeks. When they arrived the packages had a sticker on them saying they had gone through the mail delivery centre in Mascot (which is next to Sydney airport). The guy that x-rayed them probably thought they required further inspection. We x-ray ALL postal items that come into our country. I assume all mail goes through that centre however they don't usually add a sticker. Maybe the sticker was added on its return from another building :blink:

Edited by haysonics

while answering another post today, i got to thinking about international geocoin shipments, and i was wondering if anyone else has had international geocoin shipments lost in the mail? what is the percentage of international mail you have had lost or stolen? what is the longest time you've had to wait for a geocoin delivery? and, are you wary or nervous about buying geocoins from an international seller? thanks for the feedback!

one of the geocoins i thought was lost in the international mail from netherlands, was delivered today! 6 weeks after it was sent! what a surprise! so, the answer for how long i've had to wait for an international geocoin delivery is...6 weeks! :mad: