Help with a garmin gps 60 (wallsend area)

fin7

We've just started this hobby, we found one cache this morning without a gps. This afternoon I bought a garmin gps 60 and already I'm lost :blink: I can't figure out how to put the reference points in, I've used the "send to gps" and thats ok but how do I put the points in myself? I've gone through the manual more than once and I still can't figure it out :huh:

I'm in Wallsend and I'd be gratefull for any help :)

Many people use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to send points to their GPS. You could also use EasyGPS if you don't need all the functionality of GSAK. You can get geocaches en masse using pocket queries (http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/). Import the .gpx file into GSAK or EasyGPS and send it to your GPS from there.

Edit: And... that didn't answer your question. Press mark to create a new waypoint, then go up to the coordinates to change them to wherever you want to go!

Edited by DefaultGen

Many people use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to send points to their GPS. You could also use EasyGPS if you don't need all the functionality of GSAK. You can get geocaches en masse using pocket queries (http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/). Import the .gpx file into GSAK or EasyGPS and send it to your GPS from there.

Edit: And... that didn't answer your question. Press mark to create a new waypoint, then go up to the coordinates to change them to wherever you want to go!

Thank you for the reply :) When I press mark I get a screen with my co-ordinates, then I get lost :blink: I'm not normally this thick I have to say :huh:

When you press the mark button, you will get the current coordinates of the place where you are standing. You will need to toggle up to the "location" section that has your coordinates and manually edit in the coordinates you want to go to.

Once you have done that you will want to go up to the top left section and edit that to a closed treasure box icon and then in the section right next to that is a number like 001. Here is where you can put in the name of the cache.

When you are all done, go to the bottom right of the screen and hit ok to save it. It will now be in your geocache folder. To find that, select find and scroll over to the geocache folder and open it up. Your waypoint should be listed in there.

Did you happen to get mapsource with your GPS? If you did, it is even easier (since you are not a PM) to download the .loc file and save it into mapsource and then connect your GPS to your computer and move the waypoints from mapsource to your GPS.

Hope this helps.

edited for spelling

Edited by ao318

Hi Fin7, most of us have been were you are now....geocaching is just a sport and just take it one day at a time...try finding caches within 10-50 miles near your home location. I'm sure you have found "lets go caching" etc...., because you have a username. Now all you have to do is read, read, and read somemore. If you can find the forums, you can find geocaches. just get out and cache. Stay safe and good luck

When you press the mark button, you will get the current coordinates of the place where you are standing. You will need to toggle up to the "location" section that has your coordinates and manually edit in the coordinates you want to go to.

Once you have done that you will want to go up to the top left section and edit that to a closed treasure box icon and then in the section right next to that is a number like 001. Here is where you can put in the name of the cache.

When you are all done, go to the bottom right of the screen and hit ok to save it. It will now be in your geocache folder. To find that, select find and scroll over to the geocache folder and open it up. Your waypoint should be listed in there.

Did you happen to get mapsource with your GPS? If you did, it is even easier (since you are not a PM) to download the .loc file and save it into mapsource and then connect your GPS to your computer and move the waypoints from mapsource to your GPS.

Hope this helps.

edited for spelling

Many thanks for the reply :) It's when I go to manually put the coordinates in that I hit a problem, I had a look on you tube and I'm thinking with your instructions and the you tube video I think I might get somewhere :huh:

Hi Fin7, most of us have been were you are now....geocaching is just a sport and just take it one day at a time...try finding caches within 10-50 miles near your home location. I'm sure you have found "lets go caching" etc...., because you have a username. Now all you have to do is read, read, and read somemore. If you can find the forums, you can find geocaches. just get out and cache. Stay safe and good luck

Thank you, when i read about the cache I found yesterday I just had to go look, as its near to where I live and an area i know well I found it ok without a gps. I've been looking at geocaching for a while, looking at many gps's systems, and after yesterdays find it pushed me into getting a gps. The stumbling block at the moment is getting the coordinates in, I know it can be done so I know its me thats going wrong, with patience I'll get there. I know there are people in my area geocaching so hopefully one of those will see my post and take pity on me :blink:

Hello fin7,

Have a look at page 10 of the manual, Creating and Using Waypoints.

Work you way through that section Basic Operations all about waypoints. You may well find all you need to know there.

If you're still stuck mail me with exactly what you're trying to do, how far you've got ect and I'll try to take you through it.

Regards

Bernard

You can download a PDF manual here.