Lets get things moving in Kuwait

welsh_gal

Hello guys,

I have placed a few caches in Kuwait but as we all know summer if off season here for caching. I am hoping to get more caches out when the weather cools down for us non-military cachers. I know that there are alot of troops in Kuwait but putting nearly all the caches off limits of regular folks really gets on my wick. I have aruged my case and it seems there is no way around the issue. However, if more people start placing caches we will all have more to find :mad:

I have a series of quite a few micros planned, would people perfer these set out as a multi with a large cache at the end or ans individuals? I have also managed to finish my large cache which will be put out as soon as the weather cools down a bit.

Maybe the regulars in Kuwait could have a group?

welsh_gal_q8 :ph34r:

Full marks to you welsh_gal - go for it!1

Here in Qatar we had the same problem with off-limit caches. Scores of correspondence with the powers that be o get the off-limit caches published elsewhere lead to nought! :blink: End of the day you will not get anything changed that is linked to the US so you need to look at other avenues, despite that special arangements have been made in other parts of the world for other military type installations. Do what we did then - concentrated on our own caches and cachers and we started a cache explosion. Qatar has now gone to 140+ caches and growing after there were less than 20 originally.

On the question of your series of micros - experience has shown that cachers prefer finding caches rather than waypoints. Place a few short multis but concentrate on actual caches.

Good luck and happy caching.

Hi cincol

Nice to hear that you have managed to get so many caches active :huh: It is such a pain that there is so many on military bases that we can't get to isn't it! You would think that having an unidentified box or item on a base would be a huge security risk!!!!!!!!!!!! Never mind hey, we will have to do what we can :blink:

Just a little thought from a military cacher. I understand where you are coming from about the caches on us bases being off limits to outside cachers, but it is a two way street. I am not allowed to leave my base and go into Kuwait City and geocache. As much as I would like to. I am stuck with whatever is available on post. Maybe if I come to Kuwait as a civilian on vacation I will be able to grab them.

Just a little thought from a military cacher. I understand where you are coming from about the caches on us bases being off limits to outside cachers, but it is a two way street. I am not allowed to leave my base and go into Kuwait City and geocache. As much as I would like to. I am stuck with whatever is available on post. Maybe if I come to Kuwait as a civilian on vacation I will be able to grab them.

Not arguing the fact.

But one can not place a cache in a restricted area normally - e.g. a port zone limited to authorised oil company personnel or sailors - although guys on the oil rigs could find them while they are based there.

So although I understand the caches in bases, and do not actually have a problem with them - they are off limits to a large majority of cachers in teh country/region.

I'd actually prefer them to have a seperate country/prefix like :Millitary/Kuwait etc. than a normal Kuwait (or any other country).

Just my opinion.

Couldn't agree more with Carbon Hunter.

I have deleted all military caches from Kuwait caches.

It is very satisfying to see cachers seeking my caches along the coast line and appreciating that there are infact some non-military, restricted caches.

:D

Edited by gpsman77

This is not really an issue here in UAE or Oman.

But I see it in Qatar and Kuwait - and definitely Iraq.

i also understand the caches pn the bases and I think it is great that guys on active service get to do caches.

I just wonder - do you think if an Egyptian soldier placed a cache in the middle of a restricted zone in egypt and said ot was for Egyptian soliders only - would it be published?

I can speak from experience that you aren't allowed to place a cache on a base inside of the United States. I think that Groundspeak is making an exception here due to the nation of the situation. But it would be interesting to divide kuwait/iraq into two sections. One for military and one for non military. Although I can think of only 7 caches in Iraq that aren't on an installation. Sometimes even on the installation there are certain places that have caches and normal military cachers can't get at them.