I want to place a unique cache

So I want to make a cache called "A Haiku for you" It would be a small micro with a piece of paper inside that has a haiku written on it. The seeker's job would be to take out the Haiku inside and replace it with one of their own followed by their log name, then go back and log the Haiku and the name of the person who wrote it, online. But technically it wouldn't have it's own log book, and according to the cache hiding guide, it must contain one to abide by set rules. But in essence we would be logging eachother, and making Haiku poems to share. It would be educational for kids, and a quick find. What's your take?

So I want to make a cache called "A Haiku for you" It would be a small micro with a piece of paper inside that has a haiku written on it. The seeker's job would be to take out the Haiku inside and replace it with one of their own followed by their log name, then go back and log the Haiku and the name of the person who wrote it, online. But technically it wouldn't have it's own log book, and according to the cache hiding guide, it must contain one to abide by set rules. But in essence we would be logging eachother, and making Haiku poems to share. It would be educational for kids, and a quick find. What's your take?

Sounds fun but I am afraid it would run afoul of the alternate logging requirements and as such would not be listed on this site.

Neat concept, but the rules are pretty clear: to be a cache, a container must have a logbook. You could make your haiku idea an added-on feature of the cache, but it would be considered an additional logging requirement (ALR), and there was recently a rule passed saying that logs cannot be deleted because the finder did not comply with an ALR, effectively making them optional. So if you're OK with adding a logbook and the haiku concept getting skipped some of the time, go with it. If that would insult you, or if you feel it's too far from your original idea, you're out of luck.

Neat concept, but the rules are pretty clear: to be a cache, a container must have a logbook. You could make your haiku idea an added-on feature of the cache, but it would be considered an additional logging requirement (ALR), and there was recently a rule passed saying that logs cannot be deleted because the finder did not comply with an ALR, effectively making them optional. So if you're OK with adding a logbook and the haiku concept getting skipped some of the time, go with it. If that would insult you, or if you feel it's too far from your original idea, you're out of luck.

I noticed that that rule had just been put in place. Perhaps I could make it a larger Cache with a log book, that people could just put the haiku's in with. I don't see why you would delete anyone's log just because they didn't complete the ALR anyway. But I'll just have to rethink the idea, and make it better, and more guideline suited.

Optional Haiku

Will meet the listing guidelines

Press "Publish" button.

:mad:

Indeed:

Think of the ALR ban this way: instead of wasting time worrying about whether people were following your ALR, you now get to make a request and enjoy the participation of those who chose to do so. Win-win!

I noticed that that rule had just been put in place. Perhaps I could make it a larger Cache with a log book, that people could just put the haiku's in with. I don't see why you would delete anyone's log just because they didn't complete the ALR anyway. But I'll just have to rethink the idea, and make it better, and more guideline suited.

Or perhaps you could skip the cache idea for now & make your Haiku idea into a traveling bug book where people could add some. (Of course, not everyone will though.) Just another option that came to mind. I like your idea.

Or perhaps you could skip the cache idea for now & make your Haiku idea into a traveling bug book where people could add some. (Of course, not everyone will though.) Just another option that came to mind. I like your idea.

I really dig that idea. I'm gonna start it tomorrow. I went and bought a small/pocket composition note book to begin. I started doing a stipling drawing on the front and laminating it as well just to give it a personal touch.

I moved a TB once that was a notebook of quotes. You added one you liked and put it in the next cache. I liked it.

You could also ask the TB finder to write the last poem in their log. Like the ALR* not all will, but it would be a way for you to see most of them.

*Additional Logging Request

I moved a TB once that was a notebook of quotes. You added one you liked and put it in the next cache. I liked it.

You could also ask the TB finder to write the last poem in their log. Like the ALR* not all will, but it would be a way for you to see most of them.

*Additional Logging Request

ALR stands for Additional Logging Requirement.

an Additional Logging Request would be allowed (i.e. one can log a find without satisfying the request). An Additional Logging Requirement (one *must* perform an additional action beyond signing the log to log a find online) is no longer allowed .

We just launched a new web site last weekend (I was the lead developer) which contains a daily haiku. There is a guy that works in our library that really enjoys haiku. He used to search the web or look in books to find a haiku which he would place in a three ring binder which had "Daily Haiku" written on the cover. Patrons would frequently look through the binder so when we launched our library website two iterations ago from what it is now, it included a "daily haiku" page. That feature remains on our new website as well:

http://www.mannlib.cornell.edu

Look in the right column under the library hours.

So if any of you come across a haiku cache, and can't think of one, here's a place to go where you can find some.