Caching with an Oregon400t

I have both. My wife uses the 60CSx now. It is indeed more accurate. It is the most accurate unit I've seen. I prefer the Oregon for the freedom though. I now carry no paper, no PDA. I dump PQs right into the Oregon, look at the description right there and use field notes for short reminder notes. Field notes keep cache finds in the order they are found. The freedom is a better trade off for the accuracy in my opinion.

I had a Colorado 400T for a while and traded it in for a 60CSx and have never looked back. I love it! My experience with the Colorado (similar to the Oregon, but of course, not the same in many ways) was that it just "felt soft", for lack of an objective term. I never had the confidence with it that I have with my 60CSx. I use a Nuvi for paperless caching as well as for auto-routing to the cache or park, so I not missing much.

Actually typical of the Oregon to get a bit shifty close in. A quick look at recorded tracks on the Oregon shows a fairly "dirty" line compared to many other units.

My Colorado 300 (since the latest firmware updates) seems as good as my friends 60CSx. Not yet on the Oregon.

Here is a recent track comparison:

Purple is my Oregon

Blue is my Colorado (and darn near exact to my path)

Red is a Lowrance Endura Out&Back.

path.jpg

I recently upgraded (I think) from a 60CSX to the Oregon 400t. I find that when using the Oregon in even light cover it never seems to lock on a direction to go. Also, it will jump from 17ft away to 35 in the blink of an eye. Never had that trouble with the 60CSX. Am I expecting too much from the 400t or could there be an issue with it. Thanks.

I'm not seeing the accuracy issues some people claim to have. So far I've logged about 10 caches and 6 miles of hiking on it. Every time, it remains dead steady up till about 5 feet from the cache, at which point it bounces a little, but not much (maybe 5 feet).

What firmware are you running? Is WAAS on? WAAS does seem to make position updates a bit more jerky.

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

I have both. My wife uses the 60CSx now. It is indeed more accurate. It is the most accurate unit I've seen. I prefer the Oregon for the freedom though. I now carry no paper, no PDA. I dump PQs right into the Oregon, look at the description right there and use field notes for short reminder notes. Field notes keep cache finds in the order they are found. The freedom is a better trade off for the accuracy in my opinion.

Given the choice with a multi or the like would you prefer the CSx?

I upgraded from a Vista HCX and find now that the Oregon 300 puts me ded on the cache just as often (if not more) as the Vista, although the compass is a lot worse and I have only had an EGNOS lock 2 or 3 times briefly with the Oregon, whilst I was hardly with out with the Vista. Additionaly reported accrucy with the Oregon is a max of 10ft while with the Vista it was a max of 8ft, however I do get drift sometimes, not as much was with previouse firmware but I can be 300ft of at the extreem and was aparently falling of the end of the known world into the abyss.

I love the paperless ability though and caching is so much easier in that respect, you can go out thinking of going for 3, 4, 5, 25 and look at the time and think I'm not that tired yet I'll go and grab a couple more.

I recently upgraded (I think) from a 60CSX to the Oregon 400t. I find that when using the Oregon in even light cover it never seems to lock on a direction to go. Also, it will jump from 17ft away to 35 in the blink of an eye. Never had that trouble with the 60CSX. Am I expecting too much from the 400t or could there be an issue with it. Thanks.

I have an Oregon 400t and a 60cx. I perfer my 60cx for accuracy and a few other features and the Oregon 400t for convenience (paperless). I have the latest non-beta updates in my Oregon 400t and once turned on and position locked on, it will not display the proper direction in position cursor or the goto pointer for 3-4 mins. After that it is fine, but I find this annoying to say the least.

Given the choice with a multi or the like would you prefer the CSx?

I upgraded from a Vista HCX and find now that the Oregon 300 puts me ded on the cache just as often (if not more) as the Vista, although the compass is a lot worse and I have only had an EGNOS lock 2 or 3 times briefly with the Oregon, whilst I was hardly with out with the Vista. Additionaly reported accrucy with the Oregon is a max of 10ft while with the Vista it was a max of 8ft, however I do get drift sometimes, not as much was with previouse firmware but I can be 300ft of at the extreem and was aparently falling of the end of the known world into the abyss.

I love the paperless ability though and caching is so much easier in that respect, you can go out thinking of going for 3, 4, 5, 25 and look at the time and think I'm not that tired yet I'll go and grab a couple more.

I know that you weren't asking me, but I wanted to add that, for me, I think the difference could best be described this way... my CSx seems much "snappier" My Colorado was much more vague. It may have been "right-on", but I didn't have the confidence.

The Oregon and the newer Colorado firmware may be better, but that was my experience.