Geocoin Collection Proposal Type Thingy

We've got a few geocoins that we've bought in the past (not comprehensive enough to be a collection but we've been known to buy the odd coin to commemorate an event etc.). Now we have no intention to set these coins onto the cache to cache circuit as they are mementos but instead will always keep them together.

Every time I go out caching they appear in the logging page needlessly getting in the way of TB's Ive picked up and need to log in and out of caches, making the whole TB exchange a bit more of a chore than it needs to be. What would be nice if all my non-wandering coins could be forged into one TB...

So...

Would it be an possible to have an option to select Geocoins and add them to a "My Collection" set which would be given its own personal tracking number - at no cost to the owner! So for those cachers who take these tomes of coins to events for others to admire and collect icons then they could all be logged by using one TB tracking number. The simplicity of logging all these coins into an event would also be made easier on the owner and keep a record on their coins travels to boot!

The benefit to Geocaching.com (other than the ease of use to its participants/subscribers) would be that if the whole process if made easier might encourage more people to buy geocoins to add to a "My Collection" total. Could be a whole new numbers game for geocachers to get into???

Just an idea, I don't know about the feasibility putting into action, but thought I'd put it out there in order to get gunned down :(

House Of Boo

And it would also reduce those annoyingly long lists of trackables on event pages. :ph34r:

I used to try and sift through the lists to work out which were the travelling TB's to see if I could help them, but I have given up now, as there are invariably way too many personal coins clogging up the list! :mad:

And it would also reduce those annoyingly long lists of trackables on event pages. :ph34r:

I used to try and sift through the lists to work out which were the travelling TB's to see if I could help them, but I have given up now, as there are invariably way too many personal coins clogging up the list! :mad:

This is an excellent idea. I've got about a dozen nice coins in my collection so far but I don't end up registering them because I don't want them cluttering up my trackables list. Of course I could drop them in an old archived cache of mine but it would be nice to have some other way of seeing them all listed on my profile somewhere without them appearing in the list of TBs held.

I think you have a winning idea there, HoB...

Edited by muttoneer

Ooops! I never realised this would be a problem, but now it seems obvious! I went to the London event recently and dropped by personal coins (4 of them) in so people could see which ones I'd have on me. Next time I'll just take them along and tart them about there and then :anibad:

Maybe organisers could explicitly request that only travelling trackables get dropped into event caches, on the event webpage?

I have recently been thinking of the same idea, one number would make it a lot easier all round, even if you purchased it from Groundspeak for a couple of quid, it would still be a bargain.

The only problem at the moment, is that this sort of suggestion needs to go onto the main suggestion forum, as it won't be seen here, let alone actioned.

And it would also reduce those annoyingly long lists of trackables on event pages. :anibad:

Ooops! I never realised this would be a problem, but now it seems obvious! I went to the London event recently and dropped by personal coins (4 of them) in so people could see which ones I'd have on me. Next time I'll just take them along and tart them about there and then :blink:

I put a wish list/suggestion in the main forum earlier this year (link here) to have two separate areas on event pages 1) For retrieving and 2) for discovering only.

Maybe organisers could explicitly request that only travelling trackables get dropped into event caches, on the event webpage?

We tried that with the Mega event, but we still had a lot dropped in for discoverning only (not sure what the final number was, but am sure I looked at one stage and it was over 1000). I was definitely not going to read all those! (I should have coz missed the last interception TB that I have been after for years :ph34r: )

Register them in your own name but then grab them with a second id rather than an unpublished/archived cache

Having them on a second id makes it easy to drop them into events as you don't have to pull them back out a cache first

Mark

I use this method myself, and it is certainly easier to manage. By using multiple browsers (main id on firefox and coin id on IE), they are easy to manage as well.

Ivan

Ooops! I never realised this would be a problem, but now it seems obvious! I went to the London event recently and dropped by personal coins (4 of them) in so people could see which ones I'd have on me. Next time I'll just take them along and tart them about there and then :ph34r:

Four isn't a massive problem. Some cachers literally drop in hundreds - then it's a problem!! :mad:

AWESOME idea! :blink: It's a real pain logging them all in and out (mainly out). Bambography has a good idea: he has "Bambography's back pocket" as an alternative username and logs his coins in and out of that so they don't clutter up the trackables list. We try to remember to transfer our coins into one of our "spare" usernames (which we use to get the weekly new cache emails for the Lakes & Peak Dist) before we go away so we don't have a huge long list. Your idea is better though!

PS please can we Discover your coins at GfAB? Thx!