Laminating paper

DefaultGen

Almost every cache I find has something laminated in it, usually a business card sized page or an 8.5x11" page explaining what geocaching is. I just wanted to know what's the cheapest way to laminate things, of any size. I was looking for a small laminator, but they don't seem any cheaper than larger laminators (~$50-100). It looks like I'm going to purchase some of those self adhesive laminating sheets ($20 for 50 sheets), I was just wondering how other people do it?

The "cheapest" method would be to put packing tape over the sheet. You can layer it and such. Just extend it past the edges a bit and then trim with at least 1/4 inch between the edge of the "laminate" and the paper.

No, it doesn't look all that great but it does work.

The "cheapest" method would be to put packing tape over the sheet. You can layer it and such. Just extend it past the edges a bit and then trim with at least 1/4 inch between the edge of the "laminate" and the paper.

:( I've used that method as well.....

I really like the packing tape idea, especially for the business card size stash sheet. I thought it would be wide enough for the card but it's about 1/4" too narrow so it would have to be done in two passes (or print the cards a bit narrower!!).

It would be a quick and easy process for those "I need one now" times. Thanks for the idea.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

When I was a kid I used to laminate membership cards and small instruction cards with standard laminating plastic and my mother's iron. Just place what you are laminating between two sheets of cardstock on a hard surface such as a table and with a little practice you can get great results.

Edited by Userzero

:( I've used that method as well.....

As have I, and it works quite well when you're out in the woods hiding a multi and you need a quick way to laminate coordinates on paper so they hold up for the long haul. :D

It actually looks pretty good if the paper you're laminating is 3" long and 3/4" tall and is just sliding into a matchstick holder.

Edited by Skippermark

:mad: I've used that method as well.....

As have I, and it works quite well when you're out in the woods hiding a multi and you need a quick way to laminate coordinates on paper so they hold up for the long haul. :ph34r:

It actually looks pretty good if the paper you're laminating is 3" long and 3/4" tall and is just sliding into a matchstick holder.

In my experience some clear packing tapes will come apart in the presence of water. Keep the cache dry and shouldn't be a problem. Gets damp and that adhesive becomes like gelatin.

Do you know anybody that works at a school? They usually have those giant laminating machines. When I was a kid my mom was a teacher and I'd play with the laminating machine for what seemed like hours.

School budgets being what they are today, few schools would approve of using their expensive laminating film for non-school purposes.

Almost every cache I find has something laminated in it, usually a business card sized page or an 8.5x11" page explaining what geocaching is. I just wanted to know what's the cheapest way to laminate things, of any size. I was looking for a small laminator, but they don't seem any cheaper than larger laminators (~$50-100). It looks like I'm going to purchase some of those self adhesive laminating sheets ($20 for 50 sheets), I was just wondering how other people do it?

Staples, Office Depot, Kinkos as well as a few other places can laminate for you on a "As needed" basis. However, if you plan on doing alot of laminating it would be cheaper to just buy yourself a laminator, along with the appropriate size sheets that are needed for your uses.

I have found that the "Sticky" glue self laminating pages are:

1. a pain to use.

2. They only "Seal one side" of the paper. so any "Bending" or folding that might get done will break the seal.

3. you can't trim very close to what you have laminated. In alot of cases you need at least 1/4" or more "Border" on the self laminating pages. A true heat baed lamination you can trim the border to as close as 1/8" and in some cases as close as 1/16".

Having used both systems, the heat based lamination systems are the best way to go. Look at it this way... Its the difference between buying a hamburger at Micky D's and getting one at Fudruckers or some other high end hamburger specialty restaurant.

JMO anyways...

I laminate most everything that doesn't have to be written on in my cache/hide and the heat based system has worked wonders.

TGC

I found a small laminator at a car boot sale for £3 ($5). I get the business card laminating pouches from a discount store 50 for £1 ($1.50).

So I would look around yard sales for laminators, they are an impulse purchase. After a muggle purchases one they soon discover they only use it once and will want to get rid of it.

I got my wife one from Harbor Freight, I see they still have one listed for $27.99.

That being said, the previous posts stating that you really don't need the machine are correct.

A carefully-used household clothes-iron will do just as good a job.

The specialized machine is much nicer if you are going to laminate more than a few items.

I use clear contact paper. You can get a big roll at Wal-mart for $5.00 and it seems to be a life time supply for me.

Me too! I also like that it is less stiff than lamination. I have an instruction sheet in one cache that rolls easily into a tube cache I own. A while back, I thought that I would "upgrade" the sheet with a laminated copy. The new one didn't roll up as tightly or as easily, however, so I just kept using the old one. Over the years, my contact papered items have gotten wet on occasion, but they still remain in good condition. Make sure that you fold over the edges to make sure that moisture stays out.

I got my wife one from Harbor Freight, I see they still have one listed for $27.99.

That being said, the previous posts stating that you really don't need the machine are correct.

A carefully-used household clothes-iron will do just as good a job.

The specialized machine is much nicer if you are going to laminate more than a few items.

I also have the one from Harbor Freight, and it works very well. I use it for several other non-caching purposes. they also sell a pack of 25 laminating sheets, 8.5X11 inches, for $7. They are somewhat thin, but easy to cut to the size you need. Ebay has a good choice of various sizes and thickness laminating sheets.

Harbor Freight Laminator

Had different sized things laminated for work at Staples - we were stunned at how reasonable they were. I am of the opinion that if you are doing lots, investigate options you can do at home. For me, time would factor in also...if I had a lot to do, I wouldn't want to be fiddling around for long. Yeah........no patience..........

Just found a nice one made by 3m for 24.88 and the laminate plastic sleeves for 2.44 at WalMart! Hope that helps. Dont really care for walmart but thats a deal

Edited by Scoots&Nobi

If you only need a few sheets the cheapest way to do it is pay staples/kinkos/officedepo to do it.

It costs about $2 for a single 8x11 sheet and you can stick quite a few smaller cards into that space. Maybe a dozen business card-sized... cards. Just be sure to leave enough space so that when you cut them out there is at-least a 1/4 inch boarder around the paper. If you cut right up to the paper the laminate won't protect it from water.

If you need a lot of sheets... then make friends with someone who has a laminater. :laughing:

Check out any printing shops (especially if they print posters). You might be able to get a roll end of lamination film from a poster laminator. Generally, the last foot or so on a roll is thrown away, as you do not want to run out half way thru a poster. The film might be a little thin, but it heat-seals nicely with a warm clothes iron. I have made a couple cards for TBs, and they work fine.

Edited by Fuzzywhip

I have made multi-cache waypoint tags out of aluminum and large brass washers. I stamp them with letters and numbers from a stamping kit, using a hammer. The brass one has been in the field 6.5 years, the aluminum (painted after stamped) 6 years. I typically use galvanized multi-strand steel cable to fasten, crimped with aluminum ferrules. Life of these especially the brass should be dozens of years.

Lloydsofindiana.com has some of the best prices I have found for laminating pouches laminating pouches Edited by garrywjones