Photo Etiquette

bbrennen

Being new to GeoCaching I want to make sure I'm not ticking anyone off. When my daughter and I find a cache we started as a means of documentation to take a picture of her hold the cache. I'm trying to be careful as not to have the location in the picture or anything that would give away the exact location of the cache. Is this OK? We've only found 5 so far and before I get to carried away with this I wanted to make sure we weren't breaking any rules.

Thanks,

bbrennen

In some cases part of the hunt might be the special camo on the cache box itself. I know at least a few cache owners that would not be real fond of photos being placed on the listing page showing the actual cache box. Having said that, you can probably tell what boxes meet that criteria and steer clear of the 'problem'.

As a cache owner my favorite photos are of the happy finders holding the cache. The only exception would be specially camoflaged containers lsuch as fake pine cones, fake sprinkler heads, fake bird houses and the like, as a photo of the cache in those instances would give away the hide. However if you've seen one standard film canister, Lock n Lock or ammo box you've seen them all. Your photo really isn't giving away a thing.

There may be a small percentage of owners who don't want any photos of the container. I've yet to run into one (and if you see my profile you'll see LOTS of photos of caches), but if you do the worst thing that can happen is that he deletes your log and askes you to relog without the photo.

Thanks all for your input on this. It really helps. I didn't know that the owner could delete the log entry so that makes me feel better if I happen to post a pick the owner doesn't like. I really like the idea of taking a picture holding the log sheet too.

Thanks for helping out the newbie.

bbrennen

A while back I found a cache and when I logged it on gc.com I found a DNF log with a picture of the container :mad:

The log stated: "I search the stone wall, and found a place where there was a hole with a loose rock in it, but there was nothing behind it" Now guess where the container was... :ph34r:

Thanks all for your input on this. It really helps. I didn't know that the owner could delete the log entry so that makes me feel better if I happen to post a pick the owner doesn't like. I really like the idea of taking a picture holding the log sheet too.

bbrennen

Taking the pictures of your daughter holding the cache shouldn't be a problem at all. Of course if you post them with your log, the owner might complain a bit.

Take whatever pictures you want for your own archive but be careful what you post with a log.

bbrennen

Hi,

I worried about the same thing when I was new but Briansnat reassured me and told me to include people in the photos as well. I took his advice (the same he gave you) and have gotten kind comments from cache owner and others about the photos. I have posted 495 photos since March it has been a source of joy.

Carolyn

bbrennen

This is an instance where it's often a good idea to read over the listing before posting a photo. For many caches, one of the things that makes them unique and interesting is the area where the coordinates bring you and a CO might not want other to spoil the surprise that may be in store for cachers that have hiked down a trail to the location. I have one such cache that is a few hundred feet down a trail that even many of the locals don't know exists. The trail starts off from a large parking lot but a few hundred feet later they'll find themselves in a very pretty spot along a creek. Frankly I wouldn't care if someone posted a photo of the container or even a photo that showed the actual location where it was hidden, but I'd prefer that they didn't post photos of the general area, because that, to me is what I think makes the cache special.

That is obviously a fake light pole since it is not even close to being centered in the concrete. You need to brush up on your Photoshop skills for future staged pics. :)

couple of things for this pic, one, i did not take it..simply copied it from another post somewhere simply because it is soo funny!! i hope you did not think i was being serious and did not realize people inspected pics so closely, did not realize the pole was not centered?! does that really deserve a mad smiley :D ??? come on now...let's have some fun with this... B):P;):D:D

Edited by Lovey Pigs

OK, I got really mad when someone took a picture of one of my famous light pole NANO caches!! so now everyone kinda knows what part of the light pole to look at to find this well hidden cache!! lamppostmicro.jpg

Thanks for the laugh! I needed it...

It's the bolt on the left, it's obviously rustier then the other one., A fake bolt Nano if I ever saw one.