Found TB in archived cache

LGunn

While obtaining permission to place a cache near my home, I was told that about 2 years ago they found a cache but no one had tried to claim it. I went by and picked it up. Inside there was a travel bug. I emailed the cache owner and TB owner. The cache owner gave me permission to re-use the cache box but I have heard nothing from the TB owner. I will put the TB back in circulation but should I if the owner is no longer interested (his last posted find was 2006)? How could I "adopt" the TB?

You can only adopt the travel bug with cooperation from the owner. You can certainly try but if you don't hear anything from the owner just release it another cache and let it continue travelling.

Cool that you were able to recover the container and the bug. Thanks for taking the time to contact the owners and do the right thing.

I retrieved a TB from an archived cache. It had been stuck there for 2 and half years. When I went to log the "grab" I noticed that the cache owner hadn't logged on for well over a year. Sometime after I got the bug moving, the owner logged on and changed the bug's goal (come home, N. Ireland). Tangible good news might draw the owner's attention.

(and the bug I recovered was picked up by a German cacher and is now in Europe, so at least it got across the Atlantic).

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I was told that about 2 years ago they found a cache but no one had tried to claim it.

I am curious who they was.

:( That be even gooder english.

Uncalled for. :D

It would be a full-time job to patrol the forums for bad grammar and mis-spelling.

You would need a team of 20-30 to check cache pages and logs! :D

Keep the TB moving! :D

You sure that'd be enough? :D

I was told that about 2 years ago they found a cache but no one had tried to claim it.

I thought it was pretty obvious that the pronoun referred to the people who gave permission to place the cache.

Much more betterer.

GRAMMAR FIGHT!!!

cat-fight-2.jpg

Uncalled for. :D

It would be a full-time job to patrol the forums for bad grammar and mis-spelling.

You would need a team of 20-30 to check cache pages and logs! :D

Keep the TB moving! :D

You sure that'd be enough? :D

Moor then enough.

While obtaining permission to place a cache near my home, I was told that about 2 years ago they found a cache but no one had tried to claim it. I went by and picked it up. Inside there was a travel bug. I emailed the cache owner and TB owner. The cache owner gave me permission to re-use the cache box but I have heard nothing from the TB owner. I will put the TB back in circulation but should I if the owner is no longer interested (his last posted find was 2006)? How could I "adopt" the TB?

You did the right thing by contacting the owner. They may have decided to have you send it home to them. I'm not sure how long it's been since you attempted contact but you might want to wait a good two or three weeks. Not everyone check their email every day.

If after that time you don't hear from the owner, go ahead and release it.

Happy Caching!

I thought it was pretty obvious that the pronoun referred to the people who gave permission to place the cache.

Yes, of course. I am still curious who that was. Was it a park system or a business or what? Obviously they held onto the abandoned cache for a while. Just curious.

The bad grammar was mine and I knew it. I am just wondering who "they" was referring to.

If the TB owner won't respond to you there is no way you will be able to adopt it.

I would suggest putting it back into circulation.

I completely agree with the above statement. Maybe just the act of putting it back into circulation might be enough to get the owner's attention once more.

The place where the cache was found is a botanical garden. They were not really sure what geocaching was but knew it was some kind of 'game' and just held on to it. Was really nice of them....and unexpected! I have since found out that the cache owner moved away and was unable to get back to check on it and is glad that the cahce will be re-activated although changed a little. I have yet to hear from the TB owner but plan to put it back into circulation soon and 'watch' it myself.

:mad: That be even gooder english.

Yes, of course. I am still curious who that was. Was it a park system or a business or what? Obviously they held onto the abandoned cache for a while. Just curious.

The bad grammar was mine and I knew it. I am just wondering who "they" was referring to.