BMW Geocoin?

BigBadger & Li'l SG

Has anyone ever seen a BMW roundel Geocoin. I own a Bimmer and would like to turn it into a discoverable coin by posting the registration number onto my window or bumper (just like a TB sticker) but not at the cost of designing a coin and selling off the hundreds of extras.

I tried to search online but got nowhere. Just as searching within the forums. Because BMW is a short word the forums just kick back an error, not a result.

If you know where I might be able to get one that has not been activated, I would be very happy.

Many thanks in advance.

BigBadger

Here's a very useful page to go to when you're looking for official geocoins:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/geocoinslistall.aspx

It takes a looooooong time to load. You can then read, or search, through the list for items of interest. I can't find anything with "BMW", "Beemer", or "Bimmer" in it, and there's only one car-related coin that I could find ("Caching in Muscle Cars - Mustang Fastback Geocoin"), but I was searching, not reading.

I imagine that the objection to using the BMW Rondel is that the person doing it would have to get permission to use the logo; I don't know whether that's been attempted before. But I am a fairly new geocoin addict; hopefully some of the more experienced types will be along to help soon. : )

I'm a bit of a bimmerhead (motorcycle & car) and would've jumped on a rondel geocoin if it existed. As Jackalgirl already sed... copyright issues could be a problem.

On a related note my avatar is the BMW motoguy and because of that I've been reluctant to make a geocoin with it.

Edit to add: You can always buy a rondel from the dealership and turn it into a TB by attaching a TB dog tag.

Edited by Droo

I'm a bit of a bimmerhead (motorcycle & car) and would've jumped on a rondel geocoin if it existed. As Jackalgirl already sed... copyright issues could be a problem.

On a related note my avatar is the BMW motoguy and because of that I've been reluctant to make a geocoin with it.

Edit to add: You can always buy a rondel from the dealership and turn it into a TB by attaching a TB dog tag.

I never thought of the problems that might be associated with copyright infringement. I've seen Starbucks, Golden Arches, and many other logos turned into a coin. So I just assumed it would be a grey area problem. Like really, what company in their right mind would not want free advertising?

I never thought of the problems that might be associated with copyright infringement. I've seen Starbucks, Golden Arches, and many other logos turned into a coin. So I just assumed it would be a grey area problem. Like really, what company in their right mind would not want free advertising?

Howdy neighbour!

BB, it's not the 'free advertising', they're happy to pay for advertising. BMW worked long and hard to brand themselves so well, that you want to make it into a trackable and they're not going to be too happy if someone makes a coin using their brand and makes money off it. Some companies won't touch that with a 10' pole and others have reasons for deciding to produce it. Maybe they are personal coins that are not being sold or non-trackable?

We've turned down coins that are pure copyright infringements - Harley Davidson comes to mind as one we declined to produce for resale. Feel free to come over and chat to Chris about it if you want to know more about copyrights and stuff.

Buy a TB tag, attach it to the BMW roundel, and set it loose in a cache. Save the copy tag for in case it goes missing.

Thanks. But I was hoping to just have my car as the Trackable with a custom BMW-like icon and associated coin as opposed to a TB.... which I can buy locally anyway as a sticker or magnet and leave on my car....

Thought it would be simpler than its turning out to be.

Howdy neighbour!

BB, it's not the 'free advertising', they're happy to pay for advertising. BMW worked long and hard to brand themselves so well, that you want to make it into a trackable and they're not going to be too happy if someone makes a coin using their brand and makes money off it.

Hello Mrs. Landsharkz!! I understand all that. I guess I'm just more of a old-fashioned and trusting type person.

The coin that I'd like to have would be more of a tribute than a pirated scam.

On that note. It's not legal to infringe a copyright but it's totally fine if I were to bastardize the logo and make the coin appear similar to the company logo but maybe satirized or ... Heck I could even make them look something other than good as long as I dont "Copy" the logo.

It's just dumb. But anyway, I digress.... And I should get back on topic. Anyone got a BMW geocoin?