Signature item

Wow! Those are great!!! I would love to find one of those in a cache. Do they require a lot of time/money to make?

Carolyn

Thank you for the compliment. The material is scrap from his work so there is no cost for that. It took a few hours to design the first one, but after that it only takes like 5 minutes each.

I don't know. I don't think I can jump on this particular bandwagon quite yet. Ship me a few samples and I'll let you know what I think.

A 2nd opinion may not be a bad idea, either. I volunteer.

Ah, yeah, um those things should be humidity tested! I'd be happy to expose them to the awful soup-like atmosphere of the "Valley of Death" for as long as you feel necessary.

I don't know. I don't think I can jump on this particular bandwagon quite yet. Ship me a few samples and I'll let you know what I think.

Ah, yeah, um those things should be humidity tested! I'd be happy to expose them to the awful soup-like atmosphere of the "Valley of Death" for as long as you feel necessary.

Thanks! I'll forward the offers of sig item testing to my husband. His original idea was to use it as a travel bug, so one of them will probably end up that way.

Any way he could put his caching name on them somehow? Thats about the only way I can think of that would make them even better as a sig item. Otherwise, I'd say they are awesome trade items, but not really "sig" items... if that makes sense. Either way, I would be happy to test them in the Northeastern US climate... see if they are heavy enough that the mosquitoes won't carry them away. ;)

Any way he could put his caching name on them somehow? Thats about the only way I can think of that would make them even better as a sig item. Otherwise, I'd say they are awesome trade items, but not really "sig" items... if that makes sense. Either way, I would be happy to test them in the Northeastern US climate... see if they are heavy enough that the mosquitoes won't carry them away. ;)

I applaud the guy's effort as it is. In fact I've been sitting on releasing my own sig item for far too long.

I applaud the guy's effort as it is. In fact I've been sitting on releasing my own sig item for far too long.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the coins he's making!!!! I just question whether it's a SIGNATURE item, if it doesn't have any sort of signature. If chrisrayn was making them, I could understand it, since that's the symbol he's using in his posts.... PLEASE don't make it sound like I am attacking his work, I think it's really cool, and I would totally want one, but is it a sig?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the coins he's making!!!! I just question whether it's a SIGNATURE item, if it doesn't have any sort of signature. If chrisrayn was making them, I could understand it, since that's the symbol he's using in his posts.... PLEASE don't make it sound like I am attacking his work, I think it's really cool, and I would totally want one, but is it a sig?

I know what you mean, but there is also the community factor. I leave little Blue Devil Duckie pencil toppers. No name or card attached but my locals know it's a sig.

Etching a name would be nice but one thing at a time here. I'm sure future releases will vary and I'd love to have a first edition.

Edit: Oh, in case anyone was wondering I don't consider purchased pencil toppers 'my own released' sig item. Homemade is usually better.

Edited by BlueDeuce

He decided not to put a name on it. So, I guess it's only a signature item in the sense that if you find it in a cache, you'll know he was there. ;)

Thanks everybody for your comments. I'm glad you like them. ;)

I like them so much I checked your profile to see what general area you are from. Darn! Planning to come to Indiana any time soon? ;)

Mrs. Car54

That's so funny. I did exactly the same thing (thinking darn, she's in Mass.) and I'm in Indiana, too.

Well the true test is can they survive the wet and moss of Washington's wet side. I will volunteer to make the critical tests.

Jim

Any way he could put his caching name on them somehow? Thats about the only way I can think of that would make them even better as a sig item. Otherwise, I'd say they are awesome trade items, but not really "sig" items... if that makes sense. Either way, I would be happy to test them in the Northeastern US climate... see if they are heavy enough that the mosquitoes won't carry them away. :(

Not sure it needs a name. A unusual or different sig item will be remembered. Folks might not recognize my caching name, but when I mention my sig item they remember that.

Jim

Any way he could put his caching name on them somehow? Thats about the only way I can think of that would make them even better as a sig item. Otherwise, I'd say they are awesome trade items, but not really "sig" items... if that makes sense. Either way, I would be happy to test them in the Northeastern US climate... see if they are heavy enough that the mosquitoes won't carry them away. :(

I know what you mean, but there is also the community factor. I leave little Blue Devil Duckie pencil toppers. No name or card attached but my locals know it's a sig.

One local geocacher works from some sort of cable company and usb cables or cable splitters as swag. Everyone local (which covers a pretty wide area) recognizes one of those cables/splitters as his signiature item.

I've never considered the literal definition of signature swag. Anything the identifies who placed the item in the cache, whether or not it has a team name on it, is, in my book a sig item.

I'm closer to Mass. than those in Indiana. Maybe I'll come across one of those cool items some day

Those are definately awesome. How would one go about making these into geocoins? This thread gave me an idea for a seperate thread on sig. items. I'd like to see more handy works like these. I never really considered using a sig item but maybe I should. Swizzle

There is a wooden nickel forum that I am involved with. They dont' cover all sorts of sigs, but it's worth a visit regardless. Wooden Nickels