PN-40 (PN-30) and getting started!

radak9

No I don't think that is true. It is I believe true if you are using a Mac. If you are using Windows, there is a GSAk macro or you can load your pq into Topo and transfer it to the PN-? that way. I'm at work and don't have Topo installed so I can't walk you through it but it is possible and not really difficult.

Team Taran

I dont have the topo installed here either. thank you

No I don't think that is true. It is I believe true if you are using a Mac. If you are using Windows, there is a GSAk macro or you can load your pq into Topo and transfer it to the PN-? that way. I'm at work and don't have Topo installed so I can't walk you through it but it is possible and not really difficult.

Team Taran

OK, found this thread in the D forums:

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?p=122301

As my Topo DVD is still shrink wrapped, I haven't done this yet :ph34r: I am using about 5% of my PN-40's features atm, which is doing 99% of what I need to do :mad:

Sounds like a couple of happy new PN owners, CONGRATS!! If you guys are half as happy as I am with my PN-40, you must be smiling ear to ear right now!

I love that Radak finds the unit simple to use, sure shoots down all those "steep learning curve" comments, doesn't it? I feel badly for those who listened when many kept screaming "steep learning curve" and bought another brand/model...they missed out, and on misinformation!

I'm also glad to see all those who have jumped in to help where needed, WELL DONE everyone! If there's any other questions, I am CERTAIN help is close by, but will monitor to see if I can help as well!

Again, CONGRATS new PN owners, good to hear all is well!

I love that Radak finds the unit simple to use, sure shoots down all those "steep learning curve" comments, doesn't it? I feel badly for those who listened when many kept screaming "steep learning curve" and bought another brand/model...they missed out, and on misinformation!

Give it a rest fanboy. The steep learning curve comments were about Topo USA, not the PN-40. He hasn't gotten to that part yet, right?

Give it a rest fanboy. The steep learning curve comments were about Topo USA, not the PN-40. He hasn't gotten to that part yet, right?

Gee, name calling? Isn't that frowned upon?

NO, many have stated and still do state that the PN series has a steep learning curve, many of us (you so much like to call fanboys) have made it clear this is FALSE! It IS sad so many heard people saying there was a steep learning curve with this series and were swayed away with such misinformation, I am glad I can help people wade through the waves of bad information in their attempt to choose the proper GPS for them!

Secondly, I will NOT give it a rest, care to try and make me? :huh::blink: I believe I have just as much right to my comments as your, even if yours are nothing more than off-topic name calling!

As for steep learning curve for the T8 software, this is nothing more than baloney as well, I am as slow as a laid brick when it comes to learning new tech and I can do a LOT with T8...and just scratching the surface! Funny how easily someone can pick up on the workings simply by TRYING, isn't it??

Edited by Rockin Roddy

:blink:

Okay, so I apologize for the name calling. I'll rephrase and say that some of the DeLorme owners here sound like fanboy evangelistas.

My comments to the OP said that the PN-40 was a nice unit but that the software had a learning curve. I don't remember anyone telling him the PN-40 did. But I do recall even DeLorme owners advising him to stay away from the software, at least at first. Kind of proves my point, don't ya think?

Anyway, I over-reacted because I thought people who were giving valid advice were being misrepresented in your comments.

:)

Okay, so I apologize for the name calling. I'll rephrase and say that some of the DeLorme owners here sound like fanboy evangelistas.

My comments to the OP said that the PN-40 was a nice unit but that the software had a learning curve. I don't remember anyone telling him the PN-40 did. But I do recall even DeLorme owners advising him to stay away from the software, at least at first. Kind of proves my point, don't ya think?

Anyway, I over-reacted because I thought people who were giving valid advice were being misrepresented in your comments.

Isn't it AWESOME that the OP has stated himself that this unit is simple to learn, making those who were trying to sway him away misguided? I'd say it not only disproves your point, but makes a new point that NO, using the PN series isn't hard at all! Where did you see me say that people giving this OP advice were saying the learnig curve was steep? Di I say that? NO? I said people have said this in the past and this is just proving them WRONG! Misrepresented...sounds like the only one being misrepresented is the PN series and DeLorme...IMHO!

And please, you have never seen ANYONE say anything about a steep learning curve when telling people to stay away from the PN series? I think I could easily prove that whole comment to be untruthful! Don't YOU think? Come on, we've been telling people for a long time now that this steep learning curve CRUD is for the birds when others say no, don't buy the PN series (for the learning curve reason). I don't recall seeing people say yes, buy the PN, but throw the software away, so I wonder where you get that comment from...

As for "valid advice"...what makes telling someone to stay away from the PN series "valid"? Because you say so? Seems new users are proving that to be invalid more and more....wouldn't you say? :blink:

Rockin Roddy

DeLorme Fanboy PRESIDENT

and darned proud of it! :) :) :huh:

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Whether intentionally or not, you're missing my point. I can't speak for anyone else, but here is what I think:

The PN-40 is a great unit. I gave it a very positive review on my site and have it as a recommended unit on four buyers guides (handhelds, hikers, bikers and geocachers).

But I will not recommend it for anyone who doesn't like or has trouble learning new software, first-time buyers, or someone wanting a grab n' go backcountry unit, solely because of Topo USA; not because of the PN-40.

You're welcome to disagree and I'm sure you will. Sheesh!

OK, we have successfully loaded up our new PN-40 with the local maps, we have sent the PQ's to it using CR, AND we routed via car to our first cache and then hiked close to it and found it :) Could it get any better than this? Why Yes it can :blink:

So now that we found our first cache, I hit the menu button, clicked log this cache, clicked Found and that brought me to the log page. There is a drop down menu with 7 different acronym entries with TFTC being the default. Click that and it writes it into the log note at the bottom, you can now scroll down and enter more info if you want. The screen changes to an alpha-numeric keyboard that you need to scroll to each letter and hit enter to enter it. While very nice and handy, it is not something I would use for long log entries (takes too long), I put TFTC and hit OK. It removes it from the Not Found files into the Found files. So now we head back home to take care of the find (had a dinner and movie night [District 9], so only had time for 1 cache).

Now it's time to log our find on GC. I took the -40 and plugged it into the USB slot. So far I found 2 ways to do this, the first was to go to gc.com to their field notes page and follow the instructions for uploading Delorme field notes. This creates a file on the SD card that GC reads and creates the field notes page at their site. Then I found the other way on accident :huh: When you sync with CR, it will upload the field notes then. But you have to choose a PQ to sync with, it won't just sync the notes/found logs. So anyway, choose a PQ, click sync and all of your notes are uploaded to GC, then CR will prompt you if you want to view it. I clicked yes, and it brought me to the same field note page as before, but I didn't have to do any work this time. I had a duplicate field not but it was easy to delete one. You then click on "compose log" and it brings up the cache page with your status (Found) and notes (TFTC) filled in. I edited the notes to add a little personal touch and clicked add, and Voila +1 to finds :)

So we have now completed the Basic PN-XX Geocaching101 :) There are a number of things to still be worked out, even at this level, but it is going great so far.

Accessories that I have on the way, or am planning to get, and will probably be welcome additions for most PN-XX owners:

• 16GB Card - You can find some cheaper. I liked the extra reader and the positive reviews.
  • Zagg Screen Protector - I am AR as far as scratches. While a little more money, they are 100 times better than the cheasy plastic ones.
  • Travel Charge Kit - Haven't gotten yet, but will soon
  • Bike Mount - Same with this one.

OK, Now for some questions to the more experienced PN-XX owners:

1 - After my sync, the found cahces are still in the -40, under logged caches. If I were to have a good day and find 15+ caches, is there a way to remove them all from the unit without having to do it individually? I was hoping that while the sync uploads the log notes, it removes the found from the unit.

2 - What is the best way to manually enter a new waypoint - say for a multi-cache or a puzzle cache. I have a cache near me where I have to add the number of steps to the co-ords to get to the final. What I have found so far is Menu>>Routes>>New>>Add Point>>Use Find>>Coordinates>>Then enter the co-ords there>>Mark>>Route(View, etc..) Is that correct?

3 - Does anyone use the included lanyard? If not, what do you use for yours?

Pictures to follow for some of the screens :)

Whether intentionally or not, you're missing my point. I can't speak for anyone else, but here is what I think:

The PN-40 is a great unit. I gave it a very positive review on my site and have it as a recommended unit on four buyers guides (handhelds, hikers, bikers and geocachers).

But I will not recommend it for anyone who doesn't like or has trouble learning new software, first-time buyers, or someone wanting a grab n' go backcountry unit, solely because of Topo USA; not because of the PN-40.

You're welcome to disagree and I'm sure you will. Sheesh!

As will many new time buyers or even just buyers of the PN series...sheesh!

OK, we have successfully loaded up our new PN-40 with the local maps, we have sent the PQ's to it using CR, AND we routed via car to our first cache and then hiked close to it and found it :) Could it get any better than this? Why Yes it can :blink:

So now that we found our first cache, I hit the menu button, clicked log this cache, clicked Found and that brought me to the log page. There is a drop down menu with 7 different acronym entries with TFTC being the default. Click that and it writes it into the log note at the bottom, you can now scroll down and enter more info if you want. The screen changes to an alpha-numeric keyboard that you need to scroll to each letter and hit enter to enter it. While very nice and handy, it is not something I would use for long log entries (takes too long), I put TFTC and hit OK. It removes it from the Not Found files into the Found files. So now we head back home to take care of the find (had a dinner and movie night [District 9], so only had time for 1 cache).

Now it's time to log our find on GC. I took the -40 and plugged it into the USB slot. So far I found 2 ways to do this, the first was to go to gc.com to their field notes page and follow the instructions for uploading Delorme field notes. This creates a file on the SD card that GC reads and creates the field notes page at their site. Then I found the other way on accident :huh: When you sync with CR, it will upload the field notes then. But you have to choose a PQ to sync with, it won't just sync the notes/found logs. So anyway, choose a PQ, click sync and all of your notes are uploaded to GC, then CR will prompt you if you want to view it. I clicked yes, and it brought me to the same field note page as before, but I didn't have to do any work this time. I had a duplicate field not but it was easy to delete one. You then click on "compose log" and it brings up the cache page with your status (Found) and notes (TFTC) filled in. I edited the notes to add a little personal touch and clicked add, and Voila +1 to finds :)

So we have now completed the Basic PN-XX Geocaching101 :) There are a number of things to still be worked out, even at this level, but it is going great so far.

Accessories that I have on the way, or am planning to get, and will probably be welcome additions for most PN-XX owners:

• 16GB Card - You can find some cheaper. I liked the extra reader and the positive reviews.
  • Zagg Screen Protector - I am AR as far as scratches. While a little more money, they are 100 times better than the cheasy plastic ones.
  • Travel Charge Kit - Haven't gotten yet, but will soon
  • Bike Mount - Same with this one.

1 - After my sync, the found cahces are still in the -40, under logged caches. If I were to have a good day and find 15+ caches, is there a way to remove them all from the unit without having to do it individually? I was hoping that while the sync uploads the log notes, it removes the found from the unit.

2 - What is the best way to manually enter a new waypoint - say for a multi-cache or a puzzle cache. I have a cache near me where I have to add the number of steps to the co-ords to get to the final. What I have found so far is Menu>>Routes>>New>>Add Point>>Use Find>>Coordinates>>Then enter the co-ords there>>Mark>>Route(View, etc..) Is that correct?

Pictures to follow for some of the screens :D

To change coords for a multi, simply highlight the old coords in the....wait. I see a small problem with having the geocaches as a page, you can't bring the right page up to edit the coords. So, I took that page out and now simply bring up the geocaches from the menu page. Using this way, when you wish to change the coords, simply bring up the cache list again, choose the cache you're hunting and highlight the coords...then change them and continue on your hunt!

Not sure about removing the caches, I will need to do some checking there...

Now, a few tips...you can hit the in/out toggle to put a space in or backing up when using the keypad (like when logging a find etc). This is a shortcut which makes using the keypad much better!

When reading the cache page, if you want to jump to the hint simply hit the up button on the directional and it'll go to the bottom of the entire listing where the hint is! Same with looking for caches, you can go to the last cache this way!

Sorry to upend your thread with that last bit of brewhaha, hopefully that doesn't happen again! :)

Please, for my edification, I have never been exactly clear on exactly those handhelds whose bundled software has less steep learning curves.

For example:

1. The in-the-box, bundled mapping, routing software that comes with which Garmin. or Magellen models which is comparable to the DeLorme Topo USA 8.0?

2. Exactly which operation, or feature is more difficult to complete the first time on the DeLorme as compared to which other for:

2a. Route creation?

2b. Track and trail creation?

2c. Editing a downloaded recorded track by tracing over a trail on a downloaded, non-third-party photo image?

3. Provide and estimate for comparative purposes on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being very steep, of performing the task on Topo USA 8.0 and the exact same task on the easier alternative?

4. Provide a step-by-step for each, DeLorme and competitive, for the comparative tasks so that the prospective purchasers may make their own objective judgement?

TIA :blink:

Out of curiosity what software does Garmin have that is the same as the Topo software? I have only used Garmin car units and only used their CN maps. What is their routing maps, or their backcountry map products? Are they intuitive as far as creating tracks and placing unit tracks?

As far as this unit not being good for first time buyers, I would disagree to a point. I am just talking Geocaching here, as that is my only interest atm, the purpose of this thread, and the general purpose of most of these forums. As far as using this unit for the novice Geocacher, I have not seen where this unit could not be utilized by a first time buyer (which I am) and used fairly well. If we start talking about creating routing trails, deep woods hiking, long term outings etc... well that is a different apple and not one that a novice Geocacher is looking for anyway.

Do not take my view any further than someone who has only owned this unit for 24 hours. I in no way claim to know more than a minor percentage of what this is capable of doing, nor the difficulty of doing any of the more advanced features. BUT, what I will tell any novice Geocacher that is looking to use this unit, is that it is fairly simple to set up and operate for Geocaching. It is a GREAT paperless unit for what my current intent is for purchasing this - and that is Geocaching. The Topo USA software has not even been touched yet, so I can not attest to using that. But what about the Topo software is NEEDED to do Geocaching?

EDIT - Looks like Cowboy and I have the same thoughts :blink:

Edited by radak9

Pictures to follow for some of the screens :blink:

1. Push the Menu button and select Geocaches, Push Menu again and select Delete By Symbol,..... put a check mark by the Smilies...

2. You probably have it by now.

3. When I have the handheld in the RAM mount on the windshield, I wrap it around the grabber on the A column in case the suction lets go.

To change coords for a multi, simply highlight the old coords in the....wait. I see a small problem with having the geocaches as a page, you can't bring the right page up to edit the coords. So, I took that page out and now simply bring up the geocaches from the menu page. Using this way, when you wish to change the coords, simply bring up the cache list again, choose the cache you're hunting and highlight the coords...then change them and continue on your hunt!

Not sure about removing the caches, I will need to do some checking there...

Now, a few tips...you can hit the in/out toggle to put a space in or backing up when using the keypad (like when logging a find etc). This is a shortcut which makes using the keypad much better!

When reading the cache page, if you want to jump to the hint simply hit the up button on the directional and it'll go to the bottom of the entire listing where the hint is! Same with looking for caches, you can go to the last cache this way!

Sorry to upend your thread with that last bit of brewhaha, hopefully that doesn't happen again! :)

Yea, I saw that as far as changing the coords in the main page. That will change the original coords to the new ones and I will lose the original, correct? Not that I would need the original, because I have found it already :)What about just inputting an additional waypoint?

I figured out the removing part already :blink: Remove by Symbol>> :) Geocache Found!!! When I originally looked at doing this, I did not have any found logs in my unit, so that symbol did not appear. Now that I have some there, I can do a batch remove all by checking that Symbol off.

TYVM for the in/out shortcut, adding the space was the biggest pain :huh:

Yea, I found out about the scroll up to roll to the bottom of the page thing. ALSO, for other noobs, if you hit menu, there is an option to view just the hint.

The 2nd question is regarding removing caches, PQ's. I have 2 PQ's that I will be uploading to the -40. One with caches within 12 miles from my residence (348 caches) and one within 8 miles from my work place (247 caches). Is there a way to remove ALL of the caches from my work zone but leave the home ones there?
Answering some of my previous questions now :)

You can use CR to REMOVE cahches by PQ's. Hit the cog symbol in the top right, then click on Cache removal, then choose the PQ's that you want taken out. It then removes those from the unit :D

Lastly, what do you do with the PQ files, keep them, delete after a sync?
The problem I had was the the PQ had not been "Run" yet, so it was grey in the CR. Once you "Run" the PQ, CR will then be able to retrieve the data and transfer the caches. I opened up my email and manually imported my PQ's before I realized what had to be done. Now I know that I do not need to use the files generated by GC to use the CR program.
1. Push the Menu button and select Geocaches, Push Menu again and select Delete By Symbol,..... put a check mark by the Smilies...

3. When I have the handheld in the RAM mount on the windshield, I wrap it around the grabber on the A column in case the suction lets go.

1. Yea found it - Thank You

2. What if you want to add a waypoint by hand, what is the best way?

3. Should have worded my question a little better - Did you use the included lanyard, or a different one that you bought? Shorter, longer, better material?

:D

Edited by radak9

Pictures to follow for some of the screens :)

THANKS CBP, I learned something new here too!! :blink::huh:

EDIT - Looks like Cowboy and I have the same thoughts :blink:

Roger that, Radak9! :huh:

It is just that I always see that vague and ambiguous admonition to prospective PN-40 purchasers.

However, I can't recall seeing mention of a superior alternative in that regard, which is,

easier software to learn out-of-the-box for other than geocaching activities.

For example, the in-dash unit in my '88 Jeep with AM/FM/Cassette has a less steep learning curve than that in my '06 Jeep with AM/FM/CD Changer/Sirius Satellite/GPS/Nav, 10-4?

All that I am looking for is an apples-to-apples comparison on a level playing field, copy that?

To simply input a new set of coords, hit the mark button (pushpin) and enter the coords you want by highlighting the coords displayed...

Yes, you will lose the old coords, if you feel you need these (say you make a mistake or the cache isn't found etc), you can make a note of the coords! I have never had to go back to the old coords, so have not yet had a problem with simply editing.

You learned the removal faster than I did, well done newbie!! :blink:

Team Taran

I dont have the topo installed here either. thank you

Until you get the Cache Register issue resolved, you might try the Send to GPS button on the caches description page, but you should get the same, full description.

You will have to download each individually if it does work.

If not, it might also help indentify the issue as it may be common to both methods.

Roger that, Radak9! :huh:

It is just that I always see that vague and ambiguous admonition to prospective PN-40 purchasers.

However, I can't recall seeing mention of a superior alternative in that regard, which is,

easier software to learn out-of-the-box for other than geocaching activities.

For example, the in-dash unit in my '88 Jeep with AM/FM/Cassette has a less steep learning curve than that in my '06 Jeep with AM/FM/CD Changer/Sirius Satellite/GPS/Nav, 10-4?

All that I am looking for is an apples-to-apples comparison on a level playing field, copy that?

Yea, I honestly do not know if Garmin has the same type of software that Topo does. If they do, and it is very easy to use and gives the same results that Topo can create, then absolutely +1 to Garmin. But if they have nothing that compares to it, then it makes no sense to even discuss it as a negative to the PN's.

To simply input a new set of coords, hit the mark button (pushpin) and enter the coords you want by highlighting the coords displayed...

Yes, you will lose the old coords, if you feel you need these (say you make a mistake or the cache isn't found etc), you can make a note of the coords! I have never had to go back to the old coords, so have not yet had a problem with simply editing.

You learned the removal faster than I did, well done newbie!! :)

OMG!!!! That is too funny, I have been so busy looking through the menus, that I have not even pressed that button :blink: I guess it doesn't get any easier than that does it. Instead of 7 menus to scroll through, you press the button on the interface. Edited by radak9

OK. If thats the case. Is there a way to get the PQs on to the 40 without using CR?

How about doing some individual GPX to -40 from gc.com? I know it's not the PQ's, but you can put 5-10 on there to go out and play :blink:

afaik, CR is the only way to batch load onto the PN-XX...

TopoUSA8 will do it.

http://findcache.info/pn-40/ is something a user put together that utilizes the Send to GPS plugin to load GPX files.

OK, now some pics of the Geocaching pages and menus. Note that I still have the plastic cover that came from factory, waiting for screen protector. I also changed it to the Autumn colors to match the Unit color :blink:

1 - Caches to be found in order of distance with closest on top

2- Main page you see when you hit enter on a cache

3 - The Menu button from the cache page

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

4 - View Comment Details - contains short/long description, and ALL of the logs, hint being under it all

5 - The hint page from the menu

6 - The Log Cache page

4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG

7 - Field notes page, the next page after you click Found (DNF, etc...)

8 - Showing the Keyboard

9 - The Logged page with the Smilies :huh:

7.JPG8.JPG9.JPG

The PN-40 itself

10.JPG

TopoUSA8 will do it.

http://findcache.info/pn-40/ is something a user put together that utilizes the Send to GPS plugin to load GPX files.

Yes, Topo 8 will also do it. It is more involved, but may be in the Wiki.

Here, one has to open the emailed PQs, unZip them, and then open/Import them under the Draw tap of T8. After that, one has to open the Handheld Export tab of T8 and then use the Exchange to send them to the connected via USB PN-40.

The referenced by link, 3rd party script will also do it and is quite easy (I used it prior to Cache Register). However, it does require Firefox 3 to be installed.

Only 10'?? Is that thing working properly? :):P

LOL, didn't want to scare anyone away :blink:

Honestly, for those looking into buying this unit for Geocaching. These pics represent the majority of the screens that you will use for caching. Except of course the map page getting you there, but I don't want to spoil everyones fun, I had to leave something for you to see for yourself :)

If there are any particular pics that anyone wants, just lmk!

Who does your nails? :)

My teeth :huh:

TopoUSA8 will do it.

Yes, Topo 8 will also do it. It is more involved, but may be in the Wiki.

Here, one has to open the emailed PQs, unZip them, and then open/Import them under the Draw tap of T8. After that, one has to open the Handheld Export tab of T8 and then use the Exchange to send them to the connected via USB PN-40.

Actually, you don't even need to do the "open/import". Just drag and drop the gpx files onto the T8 map screen.

Edited by Pax42

Well I couldn't take it anymore and I did some creative accounting and found a way to get a PN-40 bought from Amazon.com today. Amazon had it for $298 and Saturday next day delivery for $7 extra. I didn't feel too bad about splurging for $7 next day Saturday delivery since by buying it online I saved $18 in state sales tax. I guess my next step is to get moving and find a buyer for my Garmin Vista HCx that I no longer need (that will help offset some of what I spent a few hours ago). Thanks to everybody who's participating in this thread. There's lots I don't understand, but I'm sure once I get my PN-40 in my hands and can see for myself what you folks are referring to then I'll understand better.

Hey Rod. I'll probably be contacting you in a about a week so I can see if we can get together so you can give me some pointers since I learn best by hands on instruction.

Congrats to all the new PN owners. I think there's about 3 or 4 of us here on this one forum thread. Tomorrow is going to be a very long day for me waiting for the Fed Ex man to show up and drop off my new toy! I'm sure it's going to be the longest day I've had in a long long time!!!! :blink: Happy caching everybody!

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

Well I couldn't take it anymore and I did some creative accounting and found a way to get a PN-40 bought from Amazon.com today. Amazon had it for $298 and Saturday next day delivery for $7 extra. I didn't feel too bad about splurging for $7 next day Saturday delivery since by buying it online I saved $18 in state sales tax. I guess my next step is to get moving and find a buyer for my Garmin Vista HCx that I no longer need (that will help offset some of what I spent a few hours ago). Thanks to everybody who's participating in this thread. There's lots I don't understand, but I'm sure once I get my PN-40 in my hands and can see for myself what you folks are referring to then I'll understand better.

Hey Rod. I'll probably be contacting you in a about a week so I can see if we can get together so you can give me some pointers since I learn best by hands on instruction.

Congrats to all the new PN owners. I think there's about 3 or 4 of us here on this one forum thread. Tomorrow is going to be a very long day for me waiting for the Fed Ex man to show up and drop off my new toy! I'm sure it's going to be the longest day I've had in a long long time!!!! :blink: Happy caching everybody!

Now I'm jealous. I settled for standard delivery. Wonder if I can contact them and change that?

Well, in the E-Mail they sent me saying it had been shipped it said that at that point no changes could be made to the order. I don't know for sure, but that would leave me to think, maybe correctly maybe not, that changes can be made up until the time it ships. The way I got the bargain $7 next day Saturday delivery was signing up for a 30 day trial of some overpriced yearly shipping cost reduction club that they offer. As soon as I get around to ordering my power pack in about a week then I'll cancel out of their shipping club or whatever they call it so I'm not billed the yearly payment of I think it was $79 at the end of the 30 day free trial. Good luck! :blink:

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

Create a directory on your SD card named "screenshots" (all lower case). No more using a camera for screenshots - every time you hit the Power button, you'll get one saved to that directory.

Now thats what I'm talking about - TYVM!!! :huh: Now... I just figured out through trial and error how to read/write to the card while in the PN-40. While the -40 was off, I plugged it into the USB port, then I powered it on. CR started, and a screen popped up on the -40 asking me if it is data xfer or map xfer - I chose Map, and a screen on my PC (Win XP) popped up with the SD card as a drive :) Already have some screenshots now. There may be another way, but telling the unit to switch to SD card xfer didn't register it with the PC when it was powered on and plugged in previously...ADDED: You can switch to SD card transfer through Device Setup in the menu. I must not have had a good connection when I did it last time. Works perfectly now!

Thanks again!!

Thanks to everybody who's participating in this thread. There's lots I don't understand, but I'm sure once I get my PN-40 in my hands and can see for myself what you folks are referring to then I'll understand better.

Happy caching everybody!

Yea, everything is much easier when you have the -40 in your hand and walk through the menus. I see you have the PM, and most likely the PQ's. I would highly suggest getting Cache Register - makes life so much easier :)

As soon as I get around to ordering my power pack in about a week then I'll cancel out of their shipping club or whatever they call it so I'm not billed the yearly payment of I think it was $79 at the end of the 30 day free trial. Good luck! :)

Yea, I forgot to cancel when I did that last year :blink: Luckily I saw the charge about 2 days after they charged it and I called them. They were very nice about it and cancelled it for a full refund anyway :) Edited by radak9

The PN-40 comes with a basic basemap built in. The TopoUSA discs come with 1:100K vector topos of the entire continental US. Start by just loading in Eastern NY, maybe CT and NJ depending on where in the Hudson Valley you are (if you're more north, let me know - I'll be out your way next weekend!).

500 caches may seem overwhelming to have loaded into the device, but it's very empowering. With the full paperless capabilities the PN-40 has, you now have in your hand a database of a huge number of caches you can chase after on a whim. When I got mine, I found that I started chasing caches because it was just so easy. I didn't have to "plan" to go out & find one. Just turn it on while I'm driving to work, look at it and say "oh, there's a cache 3 blocks over. Here we go!" and that's that.

I apologize if this is answered already somewhere in this thread, have not yet read through every single post, but can you load/find caches on the PN-40 for other countries other than US?

The PN-40 comes with a basic basemap built in. The TopoUSA discs come with 1:100K vector topos of the entire continental US. Start by just loading in Eastern NY, maybe CT and NJ depending on where in the Hudson Valley you are (if you're more north, let me know - I'll be out your way next weekend!).

500 caches may seem overwhelming to have loaded into the device, but it's very empowering. With the full paperless capabilities the PN-40 has, you now have in your hand a database of a huge number of caches you can chase after on a whim. When I got mine, I found that I started chasing caches because it was just so easy. I didn't have to "plan" to go out & find one. Just turn it on while I'm driving to work, look at it and say "oh, there's a cache 3 blocks over. Here we go!" and that's that.

I apologize if this is answered already somewhere in this thread, have not yet read through every single post, but can you load/find caches on the PN-40 for other countries other than US?

Yes. You just don't have as good a map as you would in the US.
Only 10'?? Is that thing working properly? :)
And how come he doesn't have a WAAS lock? :huh:

I had just turned it on after getting the card removed/installed :) I had thought about waiting until I got the WAAS icon, I guess I should have :blink: Thats OK, it gives me another reason to take some more screenshots.

Now... I just figured out through trial and error how to read/write to the card while in the PN-40. While the -40 was off, I plugged it into the USB port, then I powered it on. CR started, and a screen popped up on the -40 asking me if it is data xfer or map xfer - I chose Map, and a screen on my PC (Win XP) popped up with the SD card as a drive Already have some screenshots now. There may be another way, but telling the unit to switch to SD card xfer didn't register it with the PC when it was powered on and plugged in previously...
OK, disregard this. It does allow an SD card transfer when you switch it on the handhelp to go to SD transfer mode. Not sure if I didn't have a good connection last time.
...can you load/find caches on the PN-40 for other countries other than US?
Caches, any place in the world, yes. But outside of North America you won't have maps.

EDIT: Dakboy beat me buy minutes :blink:

So is it No maps, or as Dakboy says Not as good a map?

Who will be first to reply??

:huh:

...can you load/find caches on the PN-40 for other countries other than US?
Caches, any place in the world, yes. But outside of North America you won't have maps.

EDIT: Dakboy beat me buy minutes :blink:

So is it No maps, or as Dakboy says Not as good a map?

Who will be first to reply??

:huh:

No maps unless you buy XMap and roll your own. All you will have is a very basic world map preloaded onto the GPS.

Edited by TotemLake

Did you get the Dakota to replace the Pn-40? How would you compare the 2? Sorry if this is listed in a thread somewhere else.

Actually, I still have both units, but did in fact buy the Dakota as a replacement for the PN-40. The more I use them side by side, the more I find myself preferring the Dakota, and have pretty much delegated the PN-40 to the status of “The wifes” geocaching unit. Basically that means I’m shelving it because she isn’t all that into caching, and when she does go she just wants to tag along with me. I'll probably give the PN-40 away to one of the kids here shortly when I'm done playing with comparisons.

I have posted a simple comparison of the PN-40 and Dakota, and need to do a few updates with the comparisons I’ve been doing the last week or so.

Things to add, Dakota tends to pick up one or two more satellites than the PN-40 in tough terrain, but both do quite well. Routing is considerably better and faster on the Dakota, but it’s hard to be fair in comparing because the Delorme maps are so bad in my area. Maps vary by region so that’s something that won’t apply to everyone. Same type NiMh batteries last about 2.5 times longer in the Dakota, significant if you’re out for a long hike, or day of photography (Geotagging) where you don’t really want to keep checking the unit to see if it’s time to change batteries. You just want the thing to chug away recording your track without having to worry about it. For handheld use the smaller Dakota fits so much better in the hand, and it’s not the bright orange of the PN-40, which makes the Delorme unit seem inappropriate in some situations. I’ve got a lot of other comparisons to add, but I’ll put them in the other thread where it’s more appropriate.

So is it No maps, or as Dakboy says Not as good a map? Who will be first to reply?
AH, they beat me because I went out for the evening :blink:

You get a very, very sparse basemap. Edit to clarify: Outside of North America at the "8-mile" zoom level (where 8 miles is approximately 1/5 the screen width) you can see country borders, some city names, and main highways. At 4-mile and below you see ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except waypoints and tracks you've loaded yourself.

No maps unless you buy XMap and roll your own.
Since TotemLake brings this up, I guess it has to be addressed (again...).

XMap is an extra cost product ($99) and it's an awful lot of work to build maps. It can be done, sort of, but most people wouldn't go this route. Since this subject has been beaten to death here in other arguments, I'd prefer to provide links to DeLorme's own forums for discussions about building maps for other countries using XMap:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=19955

http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=20190

And all things like this are fluid - the answer could change. DeLorme does possess higher-quality worldwide mapping data that could be used to build international maps. But they don't sell it as a packaged consumer product, only as raw data as for "professional" clients. I'm sure if the product demand and profit margins looked good enough, they could roll out a series of international maps for the PN- series.

But there are none today.

Edited by lee_rimar
...how come he doesn't have a WAAS lock? :P
I had just turned it on... thought about waiting until I got the WAAS icon, I guess I should have
Your first WAAS corrections from a cold start in a new location can take a bit longer than usual. Did any of the signal strength bars turn blue yet? That's how DeLorme indicates which sats the PN is able to apply corrections for.

I wouldn't worry about WAAS being indicated on the device. The accuracy is pretty good either way.

At 4-mile and below you see ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except waypoints and tracks you've loaded yourself.

This is proving not the case if the layer is more than 100km beyond the vectorized data of available coverage in Topo8. Apparently this was taken out as it was discovered Topo7 had the capability. Hopefully a new iteration of the software will bring this back.

No maps unless you buy XMap and roll your own.
Since TotemLake brings this up, I guess it has to be addressed (again...).

Sorry dude, I didn't present this as a viable option but an answer of just "No maps available" would have been incomplete in this case.

(daggom quotes are killing me today)

Edited by TotemLake

I think I understand what you're saying, and how it behaves -- though I don't understand DeLorme's logic on doing this. Also discussing it over there:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?p=129901

In short, it doesn't make sense to me, even absent a detailed map. If the sparse worldwide basemap can show me major city names and highways in England at zoom level 7, why hide these same available details at the next zoom level in?

I think I understand what you're saying, and how it behaves -- though I don't understand DeLorme's logic on doing this. Also discussing it over there:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?p=129901

In short, it doesn't make sense to me, even absent a detailed map. If the sparse worldwide basemap can show me major city names and highways in England at zoom level 7, why hide these same available details at the next zoom level in?

The initial discussion started here when someone originally tried to cut a Draw layer. That's when it was discovered it was taken out of T8 whereas it was capable in T7. It would seem to me to be advantageous for sales to have kept that feature in. Then again, I don't know the inner workings of the software and the changes they had to make to make it work on the PN the way it does today.

In short, I'm glad I kept my T7. If I ever find myself traveling outside the states again, I'll have the capability.