PN-40 (PN-30) and getting started!

radak9

OK. If thats the case. Is there a way to get the PQs on to the 40 without using CR?

How about doing some individual GPX to -40 from gc.com? I know it's not the PQ's, but you can put 5-10 on there to go out and play ;)

afaik, CR is the only way to batch load onto the PN-XX...

TopoUSA8 will do it.

http://findcache.info/pn-40/ is something a user put together that utilizes the Send to GPS plugin to load GPX files.

Is it just me? If I click the link above, I get a 404 file not found error.

Faulty memory on my part. http://findcache.info/pn40/

There was a misunderstanding what this software does and does not do.

-It does load GPX files and transfer the geocaches and waypoints to the PN.

-It does the transfer without the need of going through Topo

-It does not get around the Premium membership requirement for downloading GPX files via PQs from GC.com.

-It is not necessary to use this if you have current software and Topo8. It merely eliminates the need to use Topo as the exchange tool.

-It does not do this transfer quickly.

-It does not do the things Cache Register is capable of doing.

One question....I downloaded a cache but when we pulled up description on it but the hint wasn't available. Stated for premium members. We are premium member, so what should we do different when downloading to have hint available? Thanks.

love my PN-40 BUT...

it's compass is no where as responsive as my friends oregon...

when he rotates the oregon, it almost instantaneous, my PN-40 has a lot of lag

anyone else get that?

Not sure what "a lot of lag" is? My 40's compass seems to be as responsive as my 60csx. If you know someone else with a 40, you may try comparing to make sure yours doesn't have a problem.

One question....I downloaded a cache but when we pulled up description on it but the hint wasn't available. Stated for premium members. We are premium member, so what should we do different when downloading to have hint available? Thanks.

How was the cache downloaded and installed on the 40, Topo, Send to GPS, or something else? What was the exact cache so we can check it out? Did you look for hint at end of logs?

How was the cache downloaded and installed on the 40, Topo, Send to GPS, or something else? What was the exact cache so we can check it out? Did you look for hint at end of logs?

Do you have Cache Register and use it?

With CR one can alter the default order in which the components of the cache description appear.

Any one having trouble with Field Notes and PN-40? I can't get the Field Notes on GC to clear ... when I click clear they go away but soon as I download new field notes the old ones are back and the new ones on the PN-40 using CR are not ... any ideas? This was all working good until I installed the new firmware...

I suggest that you try this:

1. Open Cache Register,

2. Look at the white ? at the top and click on it.

3. Select the subject Troubleshooting and proceed,

4. I would follow all the instructions of deleting all the CR related files from both your PC and PN.

Any one having trouble with Field Notes and PN-40? I can't get the Field Notes on GC to clear ... when I click clear they go away but soon as I download new field notes the old ones are back and the new ones on the PN-40 using CR are not ... any ideas? This was all working good until I installed the new firmware...

I suggest that you try this:

1. Open Cache Register,

2. Look at the white ? at the top and click on it.

3. Select the subject Troubleshooting and proceed,

4. I would follow all the instructions of deleting all the CR related files from both your PC and PN.

OK. If thats the case. Is there a way to get the PQs on to the 40 without using CR?

How about doing some individual GPX to -40 from gc.com? I know it's not the PQ's, but you can put 5-10 on there to go out and play :)

afaik, CR is the only way to batch load onto the PN-XX...

TopoUSA8 will do it.

http://findcache.info/pn-40/ is something a user put together that utilizes the Send to GPS plugin to load GPX files.

Is it just me? If I click the link above, I get a 404 file not found error.

Faulty memory on my part. http://findcache.info/pn40/

There was a misunderstanding what this software does and does not do.

-It does load GPX files and transfer the geocaches and waypoints to the PN.

-It does the transfer without the need of going through Topo

-It does not get around the Premium membership requirement for downloading GPX files via PQs from GC.com.

-It is not necessary to use this if you have current software and Topo8. It merely eliminates the need to use Topo as the exchange tool.

-It does not do this transfer quickly.

-It does not do the things Cache Register is capable of doing.

Sorry it has taken so long, but we've been out of town. The listing for Lake Cache GC11AZH

Also, we had some issues with compass over this past week -- Explain the compass screen for me -- on the downloaded caches, there were two compass points (one black, one colored). When we found one we needed to manually download waypoint....it wouldn't route for us and there was only one compass bearing arrow. Why is that? thanks

Sorry it has taken so long, but we've been out of town. The listing for Lake Cache GC11AZH

Also, we had some issues with compass over this past week -- Explain the compass screen for me -- on the downloaded caches, there were two compass points (one black, one colored). When we found one we needed to manually download waypoint....it wouldn't route for us and there was only one compass bearing arrow. Why is that? thanks

We're going to need a little more detail on what you were doing because I don't understand the combination of the bolded sentence.

The compass screen has a fixed a heading arrow bassed on the top of the GPS orientation. The green arrow is the bearing arrow to the cache if your doing a route navigation mode of Hike. If you're doing a vavigation mode of Drive, then the bearing arrow is pointed towards the next turn location.

If you Log the cache as Found, the screen will take yo to an option to Find Next Closest, View List or Stopo Geocaching.

Also, when I sent that cache to my GPS, the hint was located at the bottom of the last log.

Edited by TotemLake

With Amazon.com now selling Delorme PN-40s for $199 I see in the Getting Started forum that there are 2 or 3 new PN-40 owners. Since I found this thread to be very helpful when I first got my PN-40 I wanted to bump it up so if the new owners want to start exploring the PN-40 they'd have this info readily available. Thanks again to all of you folks that contributed all the useful info! :)

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

With Amazon.com now selling Delorme PN-40s for $199 I see in the Getting Started forum that there are 2 or 3 new PN-40 owners. Since I found this thread to be very helpful when I first got my PN-40 I wanted to bump it up so if the new owners want to start exploring the PN-40 they'd have this info readily available. Thanks again to all of you folks that contributed all the useful info! :)

Suggest that new users also look here for some better organized reference information:

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/

Suggest that new users also look here for some better organized reference information:

And the DeLorme Forums:

http://forum.delorme.com/index.php

I am writing this only to say THANK YOU SO MUCH! Thank you for starting this thread, for all the helpful info, for mentioning Delorme's Tech Support being so great and generally speaking for all the time everyone spent mentioning software, how-to's and everything else.

A couple days ago I was not even thinking about getting a Delorme. But then a pathtagger friend mentioned PN-40 and I did a search and found this thread. This was it - last night I ordered a PN-30 (PN-40 was $50 more so I thought I could do without compass and altimeter). I so can't wait for it to arrive!

I am reading the manual and the wiki right now and there are things I don't understand but one thing is for sure: with all the info you guys posted here it will be a lot easier to get started. So...

Thank you so much!

Glad to hear it. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. :laughing:

I was looking at a PN-40 on Ebay just to see what they are going for and one has a $50 mail in rebate. They said it is from Delorme. Is there a rebate out there?

Double check to be sure they are an authorized dealer else the guarantee and warranty is void.

I was looking at a PN-40 on Ebay just to see what they are going for and one has a $50 mail in rebate. They said it is from Delorme. Is there a rebate out there?

Double check to be sure they are an authorized dealer else the guarantee and warranty is void.

I was just wondering, I always buy from an authorized dealer.

Thanks

With Amazon.com now selling Delorme PN-40s for $199 I see in the Getting Started forum that there are 2 or 3 new PN-40 owners. Since I found this thread to be very helpful when I first got my PN-40 I wanted to bump it up so if the new owners want to start exploring the PN-40 they'd have this info readily available. Thanks again to all of you folks that contributed all the useful info! :laughing:

I bought mine on the 23rd but noticed they jumped to 229.99 the next day. Glad i got mine when i did. This thread is gonna really help me out. It's kind of overwhelming with all the features.

I was just wondering, I always buy from an authorized dealer.

Thanks

Well to answer the specific question about a rebate, it appears it is being offered by resellers. REI has also posted it for the PN-40. I had posted a DeLorme link, but it was dated for last spring.

Edited by TotemLake

Topo 8.0 SP1 - since it seems that a much maligned "feature" of Topo 8.0 is problems downloading maps, has anyone installed the recently released SP1 and has it improved the download experience? I will be testing this soon myself, but I have to wait until I receive my new PN-30. One of the things I liked about the Delorme series was to have the ability to download the data for very little additional cost, but was/am concerned about it being poorly implemented, so I hope they've gotten it right.

Topo 8.0 SP1 - since it seems that a much maligned "feature" of Topo 8.0 is problems downloading maps, has anyone installed the recently released SP1 and has it improved the download experience?

How much change to functionality do you expect in a service pack? Can you be more specific as to the actual issues you're concerned with? The only reproducible problems I've had or seen have been related to downloading the pre-cut packages along with the "raw" imagery - skip the pre-cuts in the download, do it yourself, and no problem.
One of the things I liked about the Delorme series was to have the ability to download the data for very little additional cost, but was/am concerned about it being poorly implemented, so I hope they've gotten it right.

Bear in mind that you're hearing complaints from a very vocal minority of customers. Do you expect hundreds of people to flock to forums to exclaim "I'm not having any problems"? It's working fine for myself and a large number of the other PN-40 owners here.

Hi well I got my PN40 yesterday and every thing is fine cache register worked perfect, that is a nice program, I put in my local state,Wa. map and topo8 and I got the subscription for the map library and that is where I got lost, how do I get Aerial Imagery on to it the GPSr?. I know it can't be that hard, can it? any help would be nice, meanwhile I will keep trying to fugure it out, thanks.

Edited by highlandermike

I also got my PN-30 yesterday, loaded maps from the DVD and some caches and went to look for a couple caches at lunch time and... I love it! It is so cool! Thanks again to the OP for started this thread and to all the posters, it was a breeze to get started after reading this thread in its entirety, the wiki and the manual.

There is just one thing that bothers me: I marked a waypoint and averaged about 25 readings to be quite sure of the coords. Then I went to the Waypoints page and highlighted the waypoint I just created. It showed a distance of 5 ft which was OK, inside the accuracy range. However, while I was standing there without moving, the distance started to increase, slowly but steadily. In about half a minute the distance was already 25 feet and after a minute it went to 40 ft.

Could there be something wrong with what I'm doing? I can understand that the distance will vary but I expected +/- a few feet, not 20-35 ft. Is there any test I can run to figure things out? Thanks in advance for all the help.

I also got my PN-30 yesterday, loaded maps from the DVD and some caches and went to look for a couple caches at lunch time and... I love it! It is so cool! Thanks again to the OP for started this thread and to all the posters, it was a breeze to get started after reading this thread in its entirety, the wiki and the manual.

There is just one thing that bothers me: I marked a waypoint and averaged about 25 readings to be quite sure of the coords. Then I went to the Waypoints page and highlighted the waypoint I just created. It showed a distance of 5 ft which was OK, inside the accuracy range. However, while I was standing there without moving, the distance started to increase, slowly but steadily. In about half a minute the distance was already 25 feet and after a minute it went to 40 ft.

Could there be something wrong with what I'm doing? I can understand that the distance will vary but I expected +/- a few feet, not 20-35 ft. Is there any test I can run to figure things out? Thanks in advance for all the help.

Different conditions will cause that. Reflected signals from nearby hard surfaced objects. The satellites are not in a stationary orbit so the calculation of your position is always changing. Your compass may not have been calibrated, or it is being influenced by a nearby object or radio waves. You may be holding your GPS incorrectly for a moment causing it to lose good signal lock on the satellites.

The PN has it's best lock when held horizontally. Satellites need to be in a good spread over the bullseye. They all shouldn't be clustered in the center, nor should they all be on the outer ring. The strength of each satellite signal will influence the timing. The more birds you're reading from, the more likely your signal will be spot on, the fewer the birds, the less likely you'll see a good repeatable bring me to the same spot everytime.

TL summed it up pretty thoroughly. One additional thing to mention even though it does not have a direct bearing on your question -- 25 samples is not really enough to get a solid averaged position. I generally allow at least 300 samples. If I need a really repeatable position, I will also come back at least two more times (at least a few hours apart) and add 300 more samples each time. This helps to minimize the amount of error due to the things TL mentions -- satellite constellation and multi-path effects.

Thank you so much for the notes posted in reply to my question, I was thinking I'm missing something. The point I was getting coords for is undeed close to a power station and between buildings so I guess this is part of my problem. I'll try again with more samples as suggested. Thank you!

One more question, unrelated to the previous one. I noticed in several posts that the hint for a cache should be at the bottom of the Comment Details. In my case, the hint is on the first page of the details, right before the description. Could this be because I used Topo8 to upload GPX files to my PN-30? Or maybe I have an older firmware? I am nor sure yet how to check for latest firmware, I know I am running 2.6.2 or something like this.

Thanks again for all the help, you guys are great!

Thank you so much for the notes posted in reply to my question, I was thinking I'm missing something. The point I was getting coords for is undeed close to a power station and between buildings so I guess this is part of my problem. I'll try again with more samples as suggested. Thank you!

One more question, unrelated to the previous one. I noticed in several posts that the hint for a cache should be at the bottom of the Comment Details. In my case, the hint is on the first page of the details, right before the description. Could this be because I used Topo8 to upload GPX files to my PN-30? Or maybe I have an older firmware? I am nor sure yet how to check for latest firmware, I know I am running 2.6.2 or something like this.

IIRC, Topo8 places it at the top where CR places it at the bottom. Firmware 2.4 on the PN works this way. Firmware update 2.6 and higher hides the hint and you have to go into the menu to choose to read it when you are viewing the cache information.

IIRC, Topo8 places it at the top where CR places it at the bottom. Firmware 2.4 on the PN works this way. Firmware update 2.6 and higher hides the hint and you have to go into the menu to choose to read it when you are viewing the cache information.

Something is strange then. I have firmware 2.6.210726 which should be the latest 2.6 (from what I was told on the Delorme forums). But I still see the hint in the comment details. I also see it as a separate item in the menu as well. It's OK though, I'll soon buy and start using Cache Register so at that point it will "move" at the bottom. Until then I'll try to not read it when I see it :)

Yes, Topo is different. However, I don't think that the f/w 2.6 hides the hint. I still see it at the bottom. (Might be because I use GSAK, though.) It does, however, provide a separate menu option for viewing the hint. In my experience, the menu option sometimes inexplicably truncates long hints, so I always view it at the bottom. As a shortcut, you can go right to the bottom by pressing "up" on the rocker from the top of the description.

I can't recall that the hint has ever been hidden...perhaps TL is remembering that 2.6 added the ability to directly access the hint from the geocache detail menu (which I only just saw now...how'd *that* sneak by me? I can't really say when that showed up).

It's been a long time, but....

At one time, with the lower, 1000?, character limit, was not the Hint getting truncated?

Anyway, to prevent that, was not the Hint then moved up in the description to preclude that?

Then when the character limitation of DeLorme removed, was its original location restored?

Is there not a current limitation of 5,000 characters transmitted, imposed by Groundspeak, that would truncate the hint?

So I'm talking about truncating, as opposed to hiding, either of which has the same result.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Most of that sounds about right. Don't know if there is a character limit imposed by gc.com. Even if there is, the hint is in a separate field in the .gpx file, so I don't think it would be affected by a length limit on the description. All the "positional" stuff is an artifact of the way DeLorme treats the cache information (one big stream of character data with :) particular character strings delimiting the various pieces). In the original .gpx file, position within the data stream has no meaning (since it's XML and various pieces of information are identified by XML tags).

You're right about the upshot though. There were various combinations of firmware/software for which the hints did not make it all the way to the device.

I can't recall that the hint has ever been hidden...perhaps TL is remembering that 2.6 added the ability to directly access the hint from the geocache detail menu (which I only just saw now...how'd *that* sneak by me? I can't really say when that showed up).

It's been a long time, but....

At one time, with the lower, 1000?, character limit, was not the Hint getting truncated?

Anyway, to prevent that, was not the Hint then moved up in the description to preclude that?

Then when the character limitation of DeLorme removed, was its original location restored?

Is there not a current limitation of 5,000 characters transmitted, imposed by Groundspeak, that would truncate the hint?

So I'm talking about truncating, as opposed to hiding, either of which has the same result.

Yah, the hint was placed at the top so it wouldn't get truncated when there was a 1000 character cap. That was 2.4. When the character cap was raised to 15K, the hint was moved to the bottom. The latest fw update has the hint hidden. I think it started at 2.5 the hint was moved down, 2.6 the hint was hidden. I remember having to use the menu to view it as a result before upgrading to 2.7. I don't remember it being not hidden as I was a little miffed at the extra steps it took to read it but it was what the majority wanted so I stayed quiet.

I thought the limit GC imposed was 5 logs. Without researching, I'm unaware of the 5,000 character limit. Of course, I shake and bake mine through GSAK/Topo so it doesn't affect me if there is a 5K cap.

Edited by TotemLake

I just wanted to bump this thread a bit and say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for all the valuable information I found on this thread. My family (wife and 2 kids) and I are new to Geocaching, but I've been interested in it as a family activity for quite some time. My wife finally mustered up the courage (and cash) to offer to get me a GPS device for Fathers Day this year. Through my research, I had narrowed my choices down to 2 models, the DeLorme PN-40 and the Garmin Colorado 400t. This thread, and a few others, pretty much sold me on the PN-40.

So, I just received my package from Amazon this last Tuesday (6/22). I got the PN-40, the rechargeable kit and a carrying case from Amazon for about $250 (which I thought was a steal for the unit that I received). Upon opening the box, I was pleasantly surprised with the size, shape and durability of the PN-40, I even love the color (orange is my fav, and will be hard to lose in the woods). I proceeded to upload the maps of my region (Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin), upgrade my GC.com membership to Premium, download Cache Register and create a few PQ's. I now have 400+ caches waiting on my PN-40. Unfortunately, I have yet to get a chance to get out into the wilds and do some geocaching, though the wife and I will be leaving for a long concert weekend over the 4th (Dave Matthews Band @ Alpine Valley (East Troy, WI)). We plan on camping at the Richard M. Bong State Recreation Area and I've already loaded up a bunch of caches from that area as well, as I'm sure we'll have plenty of downtime.

Another note, I've personally found the PN-40 to be exceptionally easy to use (though I've not been out to find a cache with it yet). I was easily able to navigate menus, find functions and understand the interface even though it was the FIRST and ONLY GPSr unit I've ever used (only other GPS unit I've even held was that of a TomTom navigational GPS). I took it out for a walk and was able to Route and Track with it, as well as create waypoints. All-and-all, I couldn't be more satisfied with the purchase, and I haven't even used it for its intended function yet, geocaching!

Mr. SGTorgerson

I just wanted to bump this thread a bit and say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for all the valuable information I found on this thread. My family (wife and 2 kids) and I are new to Geocaching, but I've been interested in it as a family activity for quite some time. My wife finally mustered up the courage (and cash) to offer to get me a GPS device for Fathers Day this year. Through my research, I had narrowed my choices down to 2 models, the DeLorme PN-40 and the Garmin Colorado 400t. This thread, and a few others, pretty much sold me on the PN-40.

So, I just received my package from Amazon this last Tuesday (6/22). I got the PN-40, the rechargeable kit and a carrying case from Amazon for about $250 (which I thought was a steal for the unit that I received). Upon opening the box, I was pleasantly surprised with the size, shape and durability of the PN-40, I even love the color (orange is my fav, and will be hard to lose in the woods). I proceeded to upload the maps of my region (Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin), upgrade my GC.com membership to Premium, download Cache Register and create a few PQ's. I now have 400+ caches waiting on my PN-40. Unfortunately, I have yet to get a chance to get out into the wilds and do some geocaching, though the wife and I will be leaving for a long concert weekend over the 4th (Dave Matthews Band @ Alpine Valley (East Troy, WI)). We plan on camping at the Richard M. Bong State Recreation Area and I've already loaded up a bunch of caches from that area as well, as I'm sure we'll have plenty of downtime.

Another note, I've personally found the PN-40 to be exceptionally easy to use (though I've not been out to find a cache with it yet). I was easily able to navigate menus, find functions and understand the interface even though it was the FIRST and ONLY GPSr unit I've ever used (only other GPS unit I've even held was that of a TomTom navigational GPS). I took it out for a walk and was able to Route and Track with it, as well as create waypoints. All-and-all, I couldn't be more satisfied with the purchase, and I haven't even used it for its intended function yet, geocaching!

Mr. SGTorgerson

Since you just got your 40 and it probably came with Topo 8, be sure to take advantage of Delorme's 60 day free upgrade program to Topo 9 which is now shipping ($10 for S&H). With Topo 9 you'll get the 40's firmware upgrade to 2.8 which should make you even more happy with the unit.

I'm happy that you are happy with your PN-40.

I most likely made a recommedation for that unit it that thread last year and I am glad that it worked for you.

Here is some more info that may be useful:

Check these for getting started:

http://pn-series.wiki.delorme.com/

http://pn-series.wiki.delorme.com/Getting+Started

Also:

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/Map+Layering

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/Cutting+Map+Packages

Clear-Outs, Tracks & Waypoints

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?p=123051#p123051

And the DeLorme PN-40 forum for help if you need it:

http://forum.delorme.com/viewforum.php?f=1...185cb800e8422ee