PN-40 (PN-30) and getting started!

radak9

... it was discovered it was taken out of T8 whereas it was capable in T7....
I think you're missing what I'm saying -- at least a little bit if not entirely.

Without touching Topo 7 or Topo 8, on a PBN-40 with no detailed maps loaded, just the basemap: At zoom level 7 the PN-40 will show major cities and highways in England. One level closer in, and the maps disappears completely. Even the English Channel and Atlantic Ocean are invisible at zoom level 8 :P

Topo software version doesn't enter into my original obsevration -- but that you're saying DeLorme eliminated a partial work around for it (load your own draw layer) in the newer release?

... it was discovered it was taken out of T8 whereas it was capable in T7....
I think you're missing what I'm saying -- at least a little bit if not entirely.

Without touching Topo 7 or Topo 8, on a PBN-40 with no detailed maps loaded, just the basemap: At zoom level 7 the PN-40 will show major cities and highways in England. One level closer in, and the maps disappears completely. Even the English Channel and Atlantic Ocean are invisible at zoom level 8 :P

Topo software version doesn't enter into my original obsevration -- but that you're saying DeLorme eliminated a partial work around for it (load your own draw layer) in the newer release?

I got what you were saying. Even Topo 8 doesn't see anything zoomed in closer than Level 7 6.7. And yes the work around was taken out.

-=-=edited to correct my zoom level assertion=-=-

Edited by TotemLake

OK. If thats the case. Is there a way to get the PQs on to the 40 without using CR?

How about doing some individual GPX to -40 from gc.com? I know it's not the PQ's, but you can put 5-10 on there to go out and play :P

afaik, CR is the only way to batch load onto the PN-XX...

TopoUSA8 will do it.

http://findcache.info/pn-40/ is something a user put together that utilizes the Send to GPS plugin to load GPX files.

Is it just me? If I click the link above, I get a 404 file not found error.

To everyone involved in this thread (minus the little bit of argument between a couple of users), THANK YOU! I have been researching GPS units, as I am ready to upgrade from a rather old eTrex Venture, and this thread alone won me over. Mine is being shipped as I type!

Now...I'm very interested in the methods of doing what is supposedly described in the link above. Any help?

CONGRATS to the new owners, let us know how your new purchase works out! Awaiting a new report from Radad too, how's that new toy, my friend??

OK another tip for the keypad...hitting the magnifying glass will give you upper case letters!

When browsing the pages, quit is back and page is forward.

Each page has it's own set of menu items, check them out and play with the features to get used to how it's laid out!

You can choose to have the routing automatically re-calculate the route when you miss a turn. To do this, hit menu, routes, menu, change the default settings as desired. You can also change the routing pref to be driving as default here.

You can manually upload field notes or upload them via Cache Register...both methods are simple and give you more caching freedom!

OK. If thats the case. Is there a way to get the PQs on to the 40 without using CR?

How about doing some individual GPX to -40 from gc.com? I know it's not the PQ's, but you can put 5-10 on there to go out and play :)

TopoUSA8 will do it.

http://findcache.info/pn-40/ is something a user put together that utilizes the Send to GPS plugin to load GPX files.

To everyone involved in this thread (minus the little bit of argument between a couple of users), THANK YOU! I have been researching GPS units, as I am ready to upgrade from a rather old eTrex Venture, and this thread alone won me over. Mine is being shipped as I type!

Now...I'm very interested in the methods of doing what is supposedly described in the link above. Any help?

It looks like it was taken down since Cache Register came out. It was an interim fix to a long awaited application (the CR). If you want it, PM me with your email address. I'll send it to you in zip unless I'm specifically asked not to.

TopoUSA8 will do it.

It looks like it was taken down since Cache Register came out. It was an interim fix to a long awaited application (the CR). If you want it, PM me with your email address. I'll send it to you in zip unless I'm specifically asked not to.

The link was off a little, missing the www:

http://www.findcache.info/pn40/ - should be it :)

stsorrell - That is one of the reasons I made this thread :D There is a lot of info about this unit, but it is spread through different posts. Just trying to help people make an informed decision. I think you will love this GPSr, I sure do!

RR - Another update coming :) Went out yesterday, went 9/9 on caches. Thanks for the extra shortcuts, they will come in handy. I like that each page has individual menus relevant to that page, makes finding them easier.

B)

How about doing some individual GPX to -40 from gc.com? I know it's not the PQ's, but you can put 5-10 on there to go out and play :)

TopoUSA8 will do it.

Faulty memory on my part. http://findcache.info/pn40/

Well my PN-40 arrived yesterday. Unfortunately I haven't had as much time to play with it as I'd have liked, but so far it's gotten me to a cache's ground zero (I loaded a PQ into it and then started with letting it route me as close as possible with the car and then switched over to finishing it off in the hiking mode, I did end up with a DNF but that's my fault I'm sure since I am not really good at finding caches, I do enjoy the hunt though even if it ends in a DNF). Oh, and I've got 6 states loaded into it. That's what I've managed to accomplish without the cracking the owners manual.

I seem to be at a standstill of what I can do without any help beyond this point so it's now time to spend some quality time with the owners manual and the resources you folks have provided. My first impression of the PN-40 at this point is even if I don't learn anything else I'm real happy with it. To be able to go out into the field and see the cache description is worth the money I'm spending on the upgrade. Since this is only a first impression my final feelings on this unit may change. However, I really would be shocked if I turned out not liking it since the first impression is so favorable. Again, thanks to all the resident experts for sharing your knowledge with us and thank you to the OP for this thread since I am finding it very useful. Happy caching everybody! [:)]

P.S. On the very slightly negative side (note I said very slightly negative meaning it's only mentioned as an after thought and not as a real concern) what I've read is true and these units do go through the batteries pretty fast (like only lasting around 8 hours which although less than say my old Vista HCx it's still plenty good enough for my needs). Does that worry me? Heck no, I'll gladly carry a couple extra batteries with me if that's what it takes to keep this nice little GPSr going. Maybe I'll change my mind later on since all this is just a first impression, but I doubt it. [:D]

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

Well my PN-40 arrived yesterday. Unfortunately I haven't had as much time to play with it as I'd have liked, but so far it's gotten me to a cache's ground zero (I loaded a PQ into it and then started with letting it route me as close as possible with the car and then switched over to finishing it off in the hiking mode, I did end up with a DNF but that's my fault I'm sure since I am not really good at finding caches, I do enjoy the hunt though even if it ends in a DNF). Oh, and I've got 6 states loaded into it. That's what I've managed to accomplish without the cracking the owners manual.

I seem to be at a standstill of what I can do without any help beyond this point so it's now time to spend some quality time with the owners manual and the resources you folks have provided. My first impression of the PN-40 at this point is even if I don't learn anything else I'm real happy with it. To be able to go out into the field and see the cache description is worth the money I'm spending on the upgrade. Since this is only a first impression my final feelings on this unit may change. However, I really would be shocked if I turned out not liking it since the first impression is so favorable. Again, thanks to all the resident experts for sharing your knowledge with us and thank you to the OP for this thread since I am finding it very useful. Happy caching everybody! [:)]

P.S. On the very slightly negative side (note I said very slightly negative meaning it's only mentioned as an after thought and not as a real concern) what I've read is true and these units do go through the batteries pretty fast (like only lasting around 8 hours which although less than say my old Vista HCx it's still plenty good enough for my needs). Does that worry me? Heck no, I'll gladly carry a couple extra batteries with me if that's what it takes to keep this nice little GPSr going. Maybe I'll change my mind later on since all this is just a first impression, but I doubt it. [:D]

I have Sunday off, if you're around?? Maybe we can meet somewhere. If not, shoot me some questions and I'll answer what I can!! As for batteries, if you're going to be in your car for a part of the day, the power kit really is worth the money! The battery only lasts about 7-8 hours non-stop, but plugging in between caches, plugging in when driving long distances etc...I use mine all the time! Plus, it lights the screen to full power for best viewing!

CONGRATS, my friend!

P.S. On the very slightly negative side (note I said very slightly negative meaning it's only mentioned as an after thought and not as a real concern) what I've read is true and these units do go through the batteries pretty fast (like only lasting around 8 hours which although less than say my old Vista HCx it's still plenty good enough for my needs). [:)]

First off, great decision getting the PN-40 :D

Second, get a couple sets of rechargeables and the short battery life wont even be an issue. If you're trying to extend the life, you can try putting the GPS on "battery save", turn WAAS off, compass off, and set your screen brightness low. Doing these things I can squeeze about 12-14 hours on a set of nimh's.

Hi folks! The battery life issue isn't anything major. At the moment I'm feeling just a little strapped for cash, but that will change soon and then I'll get my power accesory kit that I can use to recharge while driving. It's really just an idle observation. Even if I did have to switch one set of batteries during a very long day geocaching that's a small price to pay for being paperless.

Rod, if you're referring to next Sunday I'm sure I can swing over to your side of the state to pick your brains a bit and maybe grab a couple more smilies while I'm at it. I'll fire you off an E-Mail next Friday or so to see if Sunday still looks ok or if something has come up and we'll need to reschedule.

I do thank you for pointing out not only the features of these units, but also their reasonable price. I normally don't go to this section of Forum since I'm not into technical numbers and discussions, but when I was just casually surfing through this forum and I saw your post that said what the going price on the PN-20 was and that was paperless and plenty good enough for hiking or while riding a bike it was like a huge light bulb clicked on inside my tired old brain. Yeah, although I mention the PN-20 in this paragraph it really was the PN-40 I got. I'm sure the 20 would have been plenty good for my needs, but I didn't want to take any chances on being tempted to do any upgrading again for a long time. So far I've owned a Magellan, a Garmin and now a Delorme so I feel like I'm a well rounded cacher even if it has cost me extra by upgrading twice within my first year. It's a fun hobby though so at least I'm spending money on something that I really enjoy!

Again, folks your support and patience is appreciated. Someday I'll be the guy with some answers and will be able to assist others. For now though I'll be content to try and be like a sponge and just soak everything in as far as tips and suggestions from all you folks with the hands on experience. Happy caching! :)

If not already been reported,

REI sale starting Aug 28:

PN-40 $260

PN-30 $200

I got my flyer in the mail a few days ago. Went to a REI store today for some gear and saw that this is a good discount from their current price. I am going back on the 28th.

Wow! I thought I did good Friday at $298 for my PN-40, but that sure beats my deal I got. Does anybody know if Amazon.com offers any sort of a price matching guarantee? Yeah, it's wishful thinking, but sometimes you can ask a silly question and get a good answer. :)

I have Sunday off, if you're around?? Maybe we can meet somewhere. If not, shoot me some questions and I'll answer what I can!! As for batteries, if you're going to be in your car for a part of the day, the power kit really is worth the money! The battery only lasts about 7-8 hours non-stop, but plugging in between caches, plugging in when driving long distances etc...I use mine all the time! Plus, it lights the screen to full power for best viewing!

CONGRATS, my friend!

I went ahead and ordered the power kit when I ordered mine. It's enroute -- can't wait to get everything

PN-40 $260

PN-30 $200

I got my flyer in the mail a few days ago. Went to a REI store today for some gear and saw that this is a good discount from their current price. I am going back on the 28th.

Wow! I thought I did good Friday at $298 for my PN-40, but that sure beats my deal I got. Does anybody know if Amazon.com offers any sort of a price matching guarantee? Yeah, it's wishful thinking, but sometimes you can ask a silly question and get a good answer. :)

After the above post I got to thinking I could go to Amazon.com and check for myself. They do not price match. Oh well, I've still got a great little GPSr at a good price so all is good. I guess I'll have to just be content to be happy for the folks who do get the deal at REI. :D

PN-40 $260

PN-30 $200

At that price, I would have to say either one is easily the best value in town

I'm sure the 20 would have been plenty good for my needs, but I didn't want to take any chances on being tempted to do any upgrading again for a long time. ... It's a fun hobby though so at least I'm spending money on something that I really enjoy!

Again, folks your support and patience is appreciated. Someday I'll be the guy with some answers and will be able to assist others. For now though I'll be content to try and be like a sponge and just soak everything in as far as tips and suggestions from all you folks with the hands on experience. Happy caching! :D

:) So, 10 days ago I knew NOTHING about Geocaching, I had heard about it, but thats it. The campground we were at had a demonstration on it, and had 5 units that they loaned out for a few days. The family loved it, and I looked up the unit online and told my wife that they're cheap ~$80 (etrex H b&w). She said cool, get one. Well, then I found this sight, did some research and ended up buying the PN-40 :) Couple days later, it arrives and my wife looks at it and goes, hmm, looks different, this was $80 :)

Needless to say, she is going shopping this week :D

But, yes, like you, I did not want to upgrade anytime soon...

PN-40 $260

PN-30 $200

At that price, I would have to say either one is easily the best value in town

PN-30 $200 <<--- Steal of the year, if you ask me. I can do without the compass for that price B)

Hey NWArkies! I wish I could have got everything at once, but I had to be pretty creative to just get the basic unit for now. In a week or so I'll order my Zagg screen protector, power kit and map library from Delorme for $30 a year. I know I'm very happy with mine and I haven't even scraped the surface yet on it's potential. For the basic stuff like loading some state road maps into your unit, loading a PQ and having it route you out to a cache it's all straight forward and easy to do so you can start playing, err make that testing, right away. From looking at this thread I'd say there are at least 3 or 4 of us that are going to be having a real fun time playing, um make that learning with our GPSrs. Congrats on your purchase. Hopefully the postman or whoever is bringing it won't keep you waiting to long! It will be interesting to see what your first impressions of this unit is. Have a great week! Robert :) See that? That's what I looked like opening the box yesterday and it will probably be pretty accurate for all of us new PN owners. :D

TopoUSA8 will do it.

Faulty memory on my part. http://findcache.info/pn40/

There was a misunderstanding what this software does and does not do.

-It does load GPX files and transfer the geocaches and waypoints to the PN.

-It does the transfer without the need of going through Topo

-It does not get around the Premium membership requirement for downloading GPX files via PQs from GC.com.

-It is not necessary to use this if you have current software and Topo8. It merely eliminates the need to use Topo as the exchange tool.

-It does not do this transfer quickly.

-It does not do the things Cache Register is capable of doing.

P.S. On the very slightly negative side (note I said very slightly negative meaning it's only mentioned as an after thought and not as a real concern) what I've read is true and these units do go through the batteries pretty fast (like only lasting around 8 hours which although less than say my old Vista HCx it's still plenty good enough for my needs). [:)]

First off, great decision getting the PN-40 :D

Second, get a couple sets of rechargeables and the short battery life wont even be an issue. If you're trying to extend the life, you can try putting the GPS on "battery save", turn WAAS off, compass off, and set your screen brightness low. Doing these things I can squeeze about 12-14 hours on a set of nimh's.

Turning off the compass has proven to be a negligable savings and may even produce more power consumption as you lose the accelerometer's stabilizing feature when you are standing still.

PN-40 $260

PN-30 $200

'Twould be so great to have you correcting my lapses of memory again when I'm trying to dispense advice! :)

Besides TotemLake and myself, there have been a number of other Magellanics who have taken up the PN line.

Just wanted to make a few comments. I have owned a PN-40 since December and have found over 260 caches since then with it. I am very satisfied with its accuracy, particularly under the tree canopy. Prior to the PN-40, I used a Garmin GPSmap 60 - no color and batteries lasted about 16 hours. I use Energizer rechargeable batteries, two in the unit and four in reserve. That's get me through a long day of geocaching.

I use GSAK, Cache Register, and Topo 7. Most of the time if I see a cache that I want to find, I use the "Send to GPS". I have also found that rather than having 500 caches in a PQ, that I prefer to have 50-75. That makes it easy to set up one or two cache runs.

I still use my old Garmin Streetpilot C530 to take me to the area then use the PN-40 to find the cache. I like the large screen on the C530. It's a lot easier to see than the PN-40 when you are driving.

Don't forget to download the Firmware 2.6 update.

:ph34r::o

Hey NWArkies! I wish I could have got everything at once, but I had to be pretty creative to just get the basic unit for now. In a week or so I'll order my Zagg screen protector, power kit and map library from Delorme for $30 a year. I know I'm very happy with mine and I haven't even scraped the surface yet on it's potential. For the basic stuff like loading some state road maps into your unit, loading a PQ and having it route you out to a cache it's all straight forward and easy to do so you can start playing, err make that testing, right away. From looking at this thread I'd say there are at least 3 or 4 of us that are going to be having a real fun time playing, um make that learning with our GPSrs. Congrats on your purchase. Hopefully the postman or whoever is bringing it won't keep you waiting to long! It will be interesting to see what your first impressions of this unit is. Have a great week! Robert ;) See that? That's what I looked like opening the box yesterday and it will probably be pretty accurate for all of us new PN owners. :D

It takes time to get all the "gadgets" as my husband calls them. I had been saving some money since Fathers Day -- this is his gift but it's taken us that long to decide which one we wanted. I tried to change shipping but they had already shipped it. It says delivery estimated August 31 :P , but I really think it will be sooner. It was shipped on Friday evening from KY, unless they sent by slow snail mail. usually it works out pretty fast. Regardless, I will be opening the box with same expression :D . It's a shame we live so far apart. We could learn together. Can't wait to try it out when we are on Vacation the week after Labor Day. Keep us posted on your learning progress. email is debe_777@yahoo.com if you want to not load down this thread.

Well, I've got a little problem I could use some help with. Luckily nothing major, but no matter how much I try and figure it out no matter how much I read my owners manual I can't figure this out. My question relates to the page where you can update the owners information in the GPSr unit. I start by pressing the menu button, then highlight Devise Setup, press the Enter button, then highlight where it says owner information and then you input your owner info you'd like to show when you power on your GPSr.

I can get the info typed on that page easy enough (the way you do it on these Delormes is so sweet compared to my eTrex Vista), but I just can't seem to figure out how to save it so it will show up during the power up process. Granted if I ever lose it I'll probably never see it again, but I'd like to hope that the person who finds it would be nice and contact me. So therefore I'd like to put my name and cell phone number on the startup screen in case it were found and they wanted to contact me. So can anybody help me out by telling me how to save the info so it is saved (I know to check the little box to show it at startup I just can't get the text to be saved).

I'm sure it's something real easy, but I've been trying over and over and over for an hour now with no luck. It's a minor problem, but it's got me confused. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. :P

PN-40 $260

PN-30 $200

'Twould be so great to have you correcting my lapses of memory again when I'm trying to dispense advice! :ph34r:

Besides TotemLake and myself, there have been a number of other Magellanics who have taken up the PN line.

I'm also an ex-Maggie owner..... :P:o

OK, quick question. How many logs get sent to the unit with a PQ through CR? I thought it was more than 5, but I only have 5 right now, per cache.

Hi. I was out playing with my PN-40 today and that's what I got too. I just assumed that was normal. It will be interesting to hear from the folks who have more experience. :P

Yes, 5 it is and it is a limitation of Geocaching.com, not DeLorme.

DeLorme does have a limitation in the number of characters transferred, 5000 I think.

Of course, if you have an incredibly wordy description and the first one or two logs are very wordy, you may not even get 5 logs.

OK, quick question. How many logs get sent to the unit with a PQ through CR? I thought it was more than 5, but I only have 5 right now, per cache.

Hi. I was out playing with my PN-40 today and that's what I got too. I just assumed that was normal. It will be interesting to hear from the folks who have more experience. :mad:

Yes, 5 it is and it is a limitation of Geocaching.com, not DeLorme.

DeLorme does have a limitation in the number of characters transferred, 5000 I think.

15,000. IIRC, Garmin is presently limited to 8,000 characters. Edited by dakboy

As I recall from an earlier discussion about CR in the DeLorme forums, GC has imposed a limit of the last 5 logs through the direct pulldown. If you want to take advantage of the full 15,000 characters, you're going to have to use GSAK as your GPX generator for more than 5 logs.

I just took advantage of it myself to add some letterbox clues to a hybrid.

In retrospect: The more than 5 logs came from the direct pulldown by cache page through the GPS plug-in. I don't know if that ever got plugged or not but the consensus was that it will. The limitation via CR is by the PQ limitation of only the last 5 logs will be included.

Edited by TotemLake

Yep, like TL said, If you want all the logs, You've got to download them one at a time and massage them in GSAK first before sending them to the 40. I've done it a couple times previously just to check it out.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I don't know if GSAK is needed or not if it's a single downloaded cache. That's just the way I did it before. I'll have to check it out after work.

Edited by Pax42

Yep, like TL said, If you want all the logs, You've got to download them one at a time and massage them in GSAK first before sending them to the 40. I've done it a couple times previously just to check it out.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I don't know if GSAK is needed or not if it's a single downloaded cache. That's just the way I did it before. I'll have to check it out after work.

I know the single download used to include more logs. But that was a month or two back the last time I used it. I use GSAK to massage my GPX and then load it via topo to see what the area looks like first.

I know the single download used to include more logs. But that was a month or two back the last time I used it. I use GSAK to massage my GPX and then load it via topo to see what the area looks like first.

this is above my head at the moment, but will save for future reference.

Loading via Send To still allows the limit set by DeLorme...15,000 characters! At least it did up until 2 days ago! :mad:

And that would be where my confusion came from. I loaded ~6 caches via send to phone .gpx and I recall looking at about 20+ logs searching for clues on an elusive cache. Then upon checking my other files, I only found 5. I had forgotten about the direct load on the previous one. If I end up stuck at a cache and the 5 logs don't help, I have a blackberry that I could resort to if I was in dire need :mad: Either way, better than printing :mad:

Of course, if you have an incredibly wordy description and the first one or two logs are very wordy, you may not even get 5 logs.

So I guess this one would have an issue :mad: 29,432 characters in the description alone :mad: Not counting the hint or the 32 waypoints. And some of the logs are 3000+

GC17MX1

:mad:

Thanks for the chuckle, I hadn't seen any like that before.

Do any of the Garmin "paperless" units display all of the info for that one correctly??

Just sent to unit. It displays all of the info UP TO waypoint 15, only gets to co-ords for that waypoint, then ends - but it has the hint at the end as well, so it must subtract the hint from total before slashing post.

14,744 characters, not counting cache info on top of description that gets posted. So it goes the 15K limit

:ph34r:

Edited by radak9

:lol: OK, sorry it has taken me a bit to follow up. Been a little busy cleaning up from the 13 day vacation and going back to work.

So, I had a chance to put this puppy through it's paces and go hunt some caches. Now bear in mind, 12 days ago I knew nothing about Geocaching, so not only am I new to using the PN-40, but I am new to the whole cache hunting concept ;) So with that said, I have gone 16/16 with the new unit, and only 1 DNS (did not search) So I am pretty happy!!! But, to keep things honest, I have stuck to relatively easy ones(1/2 - 1/2), and in doing so I am increasing my learning curve. THe last couple ones have gone where I know where/what they could be, and I have been correct :D And I have picked up and moved along some TB's and coins...

So instead of going through my cache hunts, which would probably result in an overly long post, I will just throw up some lessons I learned (no laughing allowed :P )

When you are close to GZ, it helps to zoom the screen in. What looks like it is right in front of you at 640ft is actually to your left (or right) at 10ft zoom. Yes, I walked around a site for a couple minutes before I cleared that up :lol:

Don't just read the description and/or the logs and assume you know where it is. You kinda need to use the GPSr sometimes to find the location. One cache talks about a sign in the description, and tells you to look at it, because it's interesting. Yea, well it's not there, couldn't find it!!! :P so I left, then I thought (as I pulled onto the road) I didn't even confirm the co-ords with the -40. So I turned around and went back, ignored everything except the -40 and it took me straight to the pay phone, 80ft from the sign :ph34r: GZ was right on the money!!!

As has been said, what is MY GZ, may not be the CO's GZ. It may be off (heaven knows MY -40 is never off :lol: ) So when you get to GZ and there is nothing there, WIDEN the search. One of the first ones I hunted was a bit away from my GZ. I approached it from 3-4 different directions, and from varying distances and I kept coming to within ~6ft of the same point. Well I read the logs and found out that so did everyone else (pile of rubble) and they made mention that it wasn't there and to widen search. Well, I found it ~30ft south of the same GZ that many others had gotten.

When you are driving in a car to the cache and it says the cache is 400 ft away and you are doing 20mph, you pass it very quickly :P STOP the car, get out and walk the cache down, or at least slow down a bit sooner and go slower ;)

Either have spare batteries with you or invest in the travel charge kit (ordered mine, will be here Friday) Nothing hurts more than getting the low battery pop up, when you still have caching you want to do, and there are no stores in the near vicinity to get some :lol:

Now, I'm not saying that ALL of these things actually happened to ME B) Just thinking of things that could have happened and trying to help others prevent them. :)

I would like to thank everyone who has helped myself and others with this thread - you have made a tremendous difference in the "fun" factor. My whole family can't wait to get out and hunt down some more caches!!!

B)

PN-40 $260

PN-30 $200

Any idea if this deal will be available online since I don't have any REI on Long Island? :ph34r:

was gonna make a post about this deal... went to rei today, to return my vista hcx for a pn-30... looks like im going with the pn-40, as a backpacker the altimeter is a tool I want... also thanks to this site and its contributors, I've been lurking about 2 weeks, and have learned soo much!

PN-40 $260

PN-30 $200

I ordered the PN30 this morning from REI & THANKS to you I waited & saved around $70 . I'm looking forward to finding our first cache with the new toy.