How to catch a cache maggot.

bittsen

A cache maggot, as I understand, is someone who deliberately attempts to ruin the game of geocaching by messing with caches. Whether they steal them, just remove the contents and log, or steal an ammo can and replace it with tupperware or worse.

At any rate, nobody wants to keep them around.

I was thinking of easiest ways to catch a cache maggot in the act. Here is what I think would work, and even if you don't catch the maggot, you could have fun.

First thing you need is money. Good ol MOOLAH, Dinero, and for those older than me.....bread! This will cost about $500-600

OK, so you get a cheap netbook. You know, those laptops that make regular laptops seem like the hulks of lap computing. Those little netbooks run for about 50 years on a half ounce of power and thats why we are using it. Ok, so I exagggerate a tiny bit but you get the idea. Easy to hide those little buggers cuz they are teeeeeeny. Get wireless internet for the netbook. Make sure the locale you are placing the sting has adequate signal for internet. Get a 12V charger for the netbook. You will need it.

Next get a decent USB camera. You could go wireless if you want to replace batteries every 8 hours. It defeats the purpose of the whole stealth sting operation we are working on though. Get a low lux cam. They aren't expensive. Get a USB extension cable. Ebay sells them for a couple bucks for 15 feet. This just makes things easier. Set the USB camera up with the netbook.

Now you need either a deep cell RV battery. You are going to hide the battery so get a good one. If you can afford a gel cell, get it. Now you can wire up the laptop charger to the battery and run that netbook, with no screen lit, for about 4 weeks on that RV battery. Maybe more. I haven't done the math.

It will help if you get an infrered spotlight that you can "shine" into the field of the cache. It's invisible light so the maggot won't see it. Set the light up on a daylight sensor so it won't use juice during the day.

OK, if you got this far you are good to go.

Set the whole thing up with lots of camo. Make sure the cam is set to look UP at the face of the cache maggot when they grab the cache. Angle is everything in the sting. Make sure the cam can't be seen and keep the whole surveillance gear at east 10 feet away from the cache. Thats the reason for the 15 foot USB extension cable. Add 2 together and get 30 feet from the cache.

Place the cam in a way to avoid any accidental up the skirt photo shots (bad Karma there).

Now you need to set up a free streaming website for the cam. Thats why you need internet where your cache is. You set it up in the field so the streaming vid will configure properly.

Now turn the whole shebang on. Go home and begin recording the streaming video. When your cache gets messed with, you will have irrefutable proof of who the cache maggot is and be able to spread the news.

Yeah, this was all done tongue in cheek but it could work if someone were to set it up.

Edited by bittsen

Interesting concept for sure, but you'd end up losing a netbook and all the accouterments that you've put out to catch some muggling a, at most, $10 container when they took the ammo can and then saw the webcam and followed the wiring.

Proof yes, but the loss of $500-600 worth of equipment isn't worth it, IMO.

When the cache maggot spots the large setup when they're looking around the area for the cache, you might have a washed out infrared shot of someone stealing your equipment. It's an interesting idea but I just don't see the investment being worth the return. For the $$ you would spend on the equipment alone, one would be able to place and stock quite a few caches :rolleyes:

This isn't even to mention the family who finds the setup and becomes quite reasonably upset that you've got a hidden camera pointed upward in a location where lots of people are going to be walking around, bending over, possibly walking over the camera and so forth.

Just thinking about the possible ramifications.

Interesting concept for sure, but you'd end up losing a netbook and all the accouterments that you've put out to catch some muggling a, at most, $10 container when they took the ammo can and then saw the webcam and followed the wiring.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the apparatus for surveillance should be placed well away from the actual cache and WELL camo'd (and secured with chain/lock/etc. Add $10 for the chain and lock). Only the camera would be close if its done right and even that would have to be 10ft away or so.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the apparatus for surveillance should be placed well away from the actual cache and WELL camo'd (and secured with chain/lock/etc. Add $10 for the chain and lock). Only the camera would be close if its done right and even that would have to be 10ft away or so.

I have seen threads in the past where people talked about using wildlife cameras for this task. Don't know if anyone ever actually tried it.

>>Add $10 for the chain and lock).

Add $10 for the 10 lb sledge that smashes the netbook. Rock, paper, and scissors. So you catch this guy red-handed. You post the video on Youtube (and your alleged perp can't afford an attorney)... and your perp is not particularily interested in popularity in the local geocaching community...

...what's the next chapter?

Add $10 for the 10 lb sledge that smashes the netbook. Rock, paper, and scissors. So you catch this guy red-handed. You post the video on Youtube (and your alleged perp can't afford an attorney)... and your perp is not particularily interested in popularity in the local geocaching community...

You essentially asked this question already. It's not part of the equation at this point.

The next chapter can be left up to the imagination of the cache owner, I suppose.

Since it would likely be illegal to detain the cache maggot near an active fire ant mound, then I won't suggest it. (though in some places where caching exists, this migh actually be acceptable)

Edited by bittsen

Use a wireless cam. Worked right the "perp" will just think he scored some great swag. Just disable whatever indicator say the thing is on.

Since we're obviously spitballing here, how about merging this idea with the set up that some people were going to use to hunt animals over the internet. If you're willing to spend the time glued to the screen, then at some point you're going to see the cache maggot, and when you do, BAM! I would humbly suggest a mere flesh wound for a first offence.

Edited by doingitoldschool

You essentially asked this question already. It's not part of the equation at this point.

The next chapter can be left up to the imagination of the cache owner, I suppose.

Since it would likely be illegal to detain the cache maggot near an active fire ant mound, then I won't suggest it. (though in some places where caching exists, this migh actually be acceptable)

I sure wish I had seen your post before the edit... but I'm sure it would have been just as entertaining as the edited version.

I'd still like to know, though, what you (or anyone else) would really do if you managed to out a "cache maggot"? Is there a law that applies? Should vigilante justice prevail? Would you start a new thread in the forums about it?

I was there once. At any rate, I believe that I know who took the cache. I complimented the "maggot" (a terrible term) for a recent milestone, without even mentioning the missing cache, and within a week, the cache had been replaced! View my hides and see if you can figure out which one it was. Lots of drama, for sure, but an interesting read as well.

What about a trip wire that sets off klaxons, sirens, red or blue lights or a pre-recorded sound of a bear/cougar/scary thing? Or real smelly stuff for them to tread in? Be sure it only activates smell when trodden in! A grabber may be handy for retrieving the "cache"..... Or you could hide in a tree and drop a net over them - "oops, sorry, thought you were my dog..." Yup! I'm evil. Don't like maggots.................

I think, (if I were interested in catching a maggot), I would opt for a game camera.

Hide a cache with only one reasonably easy path in and out. Set the camera a good way along the trail.

With the motion detector and infrared lighting, you'd get a shot of the maggot coming in and going out.

Point the camera in the direction of the cache and, ideally, you'd get a pic of them toting off your ammo can.

What you'd do at that point would be up to you, and is best left for another thread.

I sure wish I had seen your post before the edit... but I'm sure it would have been just as entertaining as the edited version.

The edit only added the last line. I deleted nothing.

Spitballing? Hell, I didn't think we were taking that seriously.

By the way. Dead men don't testify and it is easier to hide a body than an injury.

Urban Dictionary: Spitballing Spitballing - 2 definitions - 1)To toss ideas around with no expectation of them coming to pass, to brainstorm. 2) To make harmless jibes or attack...

:huh:

:rolleyes: I understood what spitballing meant. I was using a bit of sarcasm to show that I was really not taking it seriously.

Spitballing? Hell, I didn't think we were taking that seriously.

By the way. Dead men don't testify and it is easier to hide a body than an injury.

Urban Dictionary: Spitballing Spitballing - 2 definitions - 1)To toss ideas around with no expectation of them coming to pass, to brainstorm. 2) To make harmless jibes or attack...

:huh:

:rolleyes: I understood what spitballing meant. I was using a bit of sarcasm to show that I was really not taking it seriously.

Oh Suuurrrree you were /s :D

This spring someone took a handheld video of a cache maggot being caught in the act of stealing a cache and then put it up on U-Tube. It was there for a day or so then it was taken down. This particular maggot must have either had a predictable MO or the camera man had a lot of time to spend watching his tupperware.

A cache maggot, as I understand, is someone who deliberately attempts to ruin the game of geocaching by messing with caches. Whether they steal them, just remove the contents and log, or steal an ammo can and replace it with tupperware or worse.

I was thinking of easiest ways to catch a cache maggot in the act. Here is what I think would work, and even if you don't catch the maggot, you could have fun.

First thing you need is money. Good ol MOOLAH, Dinero, and for those older than me.....bread! This will cost about $500-600

OK, so you get a cheap netbook. You know, those laptops that make regular laptops seem like the hulks of lap computing. Those little netbooks run for about 50 years on a half ounce of power and thats why we are using it. Ok, so I exagggerate a tiny bit but you get the idea. Easy to hide those little buggers cuz they are teeeeeeny. Get wireless internet for the netbook. Make sure the locale you are placing the sting has adequate signal for internet. Get a 12V charger for the netbook. You will need it.

Next get a decent USB camera. You could go wireless if you want to replace batteries every 8 hours. It defeats the purpose of the whole stealth sting operation we are working on though. Get a low lux cam. They aren't expensive. Get a USB extension cable. Ebay sells them for a couple bucks for 15 feet. This just makes things easier. Set the USB camera up with the netbook.

Now you need either a deep cell RV battery. You are going to hide the battery so get a good one. If you can afford a gel cell, get it. Now you can wire up the laptop charger to the battery and run that netbook, with no screen lit, for about 4 weeks on that RV battery. Maybe more. I haven't done the math.

It will help if you get an infrered spotlight that you can "shine" into the field of the cache. It's invisible light so the maggot won't see it. Set the light up on a daylight sensor so it won't use juice during the day.

Set the whole thing up with lots of camo. Make sure the cam is set to look UP at the face of the cache maggot when they grab the cache. Angle is everything in the sting. Make sure the cam can't be seen and keep the whole surveillance gear at east 10 feet away from the cache. Thats the reason for the 15 foot USB extension cable. Add 2 together and get 30 feet from the cache.

Place the cam in a way to avoid any accidental up the skirt photo shots (bad Karma there).

Now you need to set up a free streaming website for the cam. Thats why you need internet where your cache is. You set it up in the field so the streaming vid will configure properly.

Now turn the whole shebang on. Go home and begin recording the streaming video. When your cache gets messed with, you will have irrefutable proof of who the cache maggot is and be able to spread the news.

Yeah, this was all done tongue in cheek but it could work if someone were to set it up.

:rolleyes:

This spring someone took a handheld video of a cache maggot being caught in the act of stealing a cache and then put it up on U-Tube. It was there for a day or so then it was taken down. This particular maggot must have either had a predictable MO or the camera man had a lot of time to spend watching his tupperware.

I saw that vid. That was a FTF cache maggot I think. You would only have to watch the spot for a short time after a cache was published.

Yes, his MO would be predictable at that point.

I saw that, too. My initial reaction was "good for them!", but that was followed quickly by "so what?" While I detest the *apparent* "maggotry", maggotry is not yet illegal, but battery is. Social embarrassment might help, but in a case like this, its probably already too late .

Edited by knowschad

Hide out in some bushes 24/7 dressed in full camo gear with a paintball gun.

Like a hunter waiting in a deer stand for his prey.

A lot cheaper and you'd catch them on the spot with quite a scare. ;)

I'd never sling paint at someone without proper eye protection.

Besides, if you recorded them ... er ... maggoting your cache, you simply confront them with the evidence. Behave or it will be screened in front of the next event you attend.

Much for effective and likely to achieve the desired goal, rather than have yourself prosecuted for assault and spend what could have been valuable caching time in the cooler.

...maggotry is not against yet illegal...

Petty theft, perhaps. I doubt it would be easy to get cops to take a notice however. "What, you left it out there and your surprised someone took it?" - I would reply "So the rape victom is asking for it?" And then I would be bodily removed from the police department. ;)

Why couldn't you just put a false bottom in your Ammo can and put a GPS tracking device in there.

So you got their picture, you do not have their name and they now have your netbook. Whatcha gonna do. I would just put the cache a few hundred yards out in the woods. Most of the maggots are like your garden variety crooks ; do not work any harder then they have to.

DOOD you should tottally hang out in the weeds and them come out all yelling with ninja swords and the guy would be all like YAAAAAAA and then wet his paints and then you would be all like HAHAHAHA and then you could like put the video on UTUBE and THAT WOULD SHOW HIM.

EDIT: ;) ++

Thanks! I just about peed mine! ;)

So we have the maggots picture of him/her stealing or messing with the cache....but how will we figure out who they are? Sure, we could put it up on the web, but there's no guarantee that they will see it, or be embarassed enough not to do it again.

I propose setting up an extremely tempting cache, with extremely tempting FTF prizes in his general area. Then, you gather all the local FTF hounds and encourage them to take part in your evil plot so that they won't go to find it first. Buy animal costumes from a halloween store (lions, tigers, bears, oh my!) and hide in the woods. Your maggot will be tempted by the awesome FTF prize (which is, in this case, a $500 gift card for Chili's...) and chance to ruin an awesome cache, and when he approaches the cache...BAM! Out pops a mob of wild animals mad at the maggot! You chase him out of the woods, then grab the gift card and have a great time reminiscing about the whole event at 4am at Chili's. This after-cache-party could even be considered an event! So, if you think about it, you all earn a smiley for finding the cache, a smiley for the event, and a great feeling for scaring the poop out of the maggot. ;)

The only problem I can see with this fool-proof plan is that the maggot is a hunter, or that the FTF hounds dressed up in animal costumes will have an all-out brawl over who gets the cache first... ;)

So we have the maggots picture of him/her stealing or messing with the cache....but how will we figure out who they are? Sure, we could put it up on the web, but there's no guarantee that they will see it, or be embarassed enough not to do it again.

I propose setting up an extremely tempting cache, with extremely tempting FTF prizes in his general area. Then, you gather all the local FTF hounds and encourage them to take part in your evil plot so that they won't go to find it first. Buy animal costumes from a halloween store (lions, tigers, bears, oh my!) and hide in the woods. Your maggot will be tempted by the awesome FTF prize (which is, in this case, a $500 gift card for Chili's...) and chance to ruin an awesome cache, and when he approaches the cache...BAM! Out pops a mob of wild animals mad at the maggot! You chase him out of the woods, then grab the gift card and have a great time reminiscing about the whole event at 4am at Chili's. This after-cache-party could even be considered an event! So, if you think about it, you all earn a smiley for finding the cache, a smiley for the event, and a great feeling for scaring the poop out of the maggot. :D

The only problem I can see with this fool-proof plan is that the maggot is a hunter, or that the FTF hounds dressed up in animal costumes will have an all-out brawl over who gets the cache first... ;)

Turn the FTF hunt into a Furry convention...? ;)

snip

Man, for the first time in my life, I wish I lived in Oregon.

DOOD you should tottally hang out in the weeds and them come out all yelling with ninja swords and the guy would be all like YAAAAAAA and then wet his paints and then you would be all like HAHAHAHA and then you could like put the video on UTUBE and THAT WOULD SHOW HIM.

EDIT: ;) ++

Ok OK, That DID make me Laugh Out Loud.

Actually here is an EASIER and MUCH CHEAPER way of doing it.

At Cabella's, or The Bass Pro Shop, or even online somewhere. You can get a outdoor "NATURE" camera. They are waterproof, digital, Camo'd, and will run for WEEKS on their internal battery system. You can easily hide them in the woods FACING your geocache. When the camera detects motion, it will take a photo, or even a seriers of photos. All are stored on a SD card. You can mount this camera high high up in a tree, so that even if the MAGGOT does find the camera. (WHich honestly I doubt they will). He might not be able to get to it being high up in the tree.

These nature cameras's which were mainly designed to take pictures of animals that are hard to find & capture have been used by many proffestionals, including National Geographic.

The cameras run from as little as $100 now on up to several thousand depending on what features you want. Such as HD (1980x1080p) resolution.

The other thing you could do to be mean.... is... put about $10 worth of $1 bills in the cache. Lightly coat them with a fine SODIUM NITRATE powder.

When he comes to NAB the $1 bills, the moisture of his hands will disolve the Sodium Nitrate powder on his fingers. The sun light will then "Expose" the Sodium Nitrate solution, which will then turn his hands BLACK. This blackness CAN"T be washed off. His hands will be black for about a week. Less if he is a manual laborer.

You can get sodium nitrate powder from http://unitednuclear.com It isn't that expensive. All you need is about 1 teaspoons worth for $10 worth of $1 bills.

TGC

The other thing you could do to be mean.... is... put about $10 worth of $1 bills in the cache. Lightly coat them with a fine SODIUM NITRATE powder.

When he comes to NAB the $1 bills, the moisture of his hands will disolve the Sodium Nitrate powder on his fingers. The sun light will then "Expose" the Sodium Nitrate solution, which will then turn his hands BLACK. This blackness CAN"T be washed off. His hands will be black for about a week. Less if he is a manual laborer.

You can get sodium nitrate powder from http://unitednuclear.com It isn't that expensive. All you need is about 1 teaspoons worth for $10 worth of $1 bills.

TGC

I think it's a really good plan to dye other legitimate cachers' hands.

In other news, Castle Mischief, I totally laughed out loud at that post :(

At Cabella's, or The Bass Pro Shop, or even online somewhere. You can get a outdoor "NATURE" camera. They are waterproof, digital, Camo'd, and will run for WEEKS on their internal battery system. You can easily hide them in the woods FACING your geocache. When the camera detects motion, it will take a photo, or even a series of photos. All are stored on a SD card. You can mount this camera high high up in a tree, so that even if the MAGGOT does find the camera. (Which honestly I doubt they will). He might not be able to get to it being high up in the tree.

These nature cameras which were mainly designed to take pictures of animals that are hard to find & capture have been used by many professionals, including National Geographic.

The cameras run from as little as $100 now on up to several thousand depending on what features you want. Such as HD (1980x1080p) resolution.

When he comes to NAB the $1 bills, the moisture of his hands will dissolve the Sodium Nitrate powder on his fingers. The sun light will then "Expose" the Sodium Nitrate solution, which will then turn his hands BLACK. This blackness CAN"T be washed off. His hands will be black for about a week. Less if he is a manual laborer.

TGC

Congratulations, Batman, you've just identified your first cache maggot.

Now what?

At Cabella's, or The Bass Pro Shop, or even online somewhere. You can get a outdoor "NATURE" camera. They are waterproof, digital, Camo'd, and will run for WEEKS on their internal battery system. You can easily hide them in the woods FACING your geocache. When the camera detects motion, it will take a photo, or even a seriers of photos. All are stored on a SD card. You can mount this camera high high up in a tree, so that even if the MAGGOT does find the camera. (WHich honestly I doubt they will). He might not be able to get to it being high up in the tree.

These nature cameras's which were mainly designed to take pictures of animals that are hard to find & capture have been used by many proffestionals, including National Geographic.

TGC

Yes that would be cheaper but my setup was specifically set up for a live feed at the cache site. That way, if you lived close enough, you coulf jet out of your house when the maggot strikes.

Your sodium Nitrate idea, while clever and functional, would taint actual cachers as well and thats not good. I like the idea but some innocent cacher may not appreciate a week of black hands.

Yes that would be cheaper but my setup was specifically set up for a live feed at the cache site. That way, if you lived close enough, you coulf jet out of your house when the maggot strikes.

You should just engineer some elaborate Rub Goldberg trap that involves using Scooby and Shaggy as bait.

Be sure you tug at the guy's face once you have him stuck in stack of tires/caught under the window drapes. Bad guys usually wear a mask to disguise themselves to the local townsfolk.

I don't suppose most cache maggots would sign the logbook before stealing the cache, but I suppose they might. In which case, here's the pen you should put in the cache for them to use <link> For only $229, you may as well. Consider it insurance.

They're on sale right now for $149.

Of course, you could always just buy another five dollar ammo can.