Translator thingy on cachepages

Puppy Dawg

1. Find a cachepage thingy in a different language.

2. Copy the linky thingy into your clipboard.

3. Go to Google.com and click on "Language Tools" to the right of the search thingy.

4. Find the "Translate a Web Page" thingy a ways down the page.

5. Put your cursor thingy in the box thingy.

6. Paste the linky thingy into the box thingy.

7. Pick the original and desired languages using the list thingy.

8. Click the button thingy that says "Translate."

9. Read the web page in your chosen language.

100. Achieve world domination.

3. Go to Google.com and click on "Language Tools" to the right of the search thingy.

I got stuck at step 37. Can you re-post from there through 99 please?

Gc.com would probably have to partner with a site to provide translation, probably costing them money. How much of a need is this that you couldn't use on offsite service yourself?

It would be trivial to set up links to Google Translate. You could just use this fomula:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=en&tl=hu&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.Groundspeak.com%2F

You could easily use a PHP variable to fill out the page's URL and then a quick ui change to add maybe... 5 national flags for various translations.

Google even provides a handy code snippit you can add to a page.

<script src="http://www.gmodules.com/ig/ifr?url=http://www.google.com/ig/modules/translatemypage.xml&up_source_language=en&w=160&h=60&title=&border=&output=js"></script>

Yahoo.com offers something similar if my memory serves.

I believe there are websites that someone can copy and paste text into and it will translate it for you(or them). Why bog down already busy and overworked geocaching.com servers?

I really wish this attitude of "There is something else out there so lets not improve geocaching.com" would go away.

I got stuck at step 37. Can you re-post from there through 99 please?

I would add

10. Find, assign, pay, cajole, indenture a personal Geocachng mentor for GeoBigDawg so that he can learn the game in person rather creating 25 "feature request" threads a day. ;)

I really wish this attitude of "There is something else out there so lets not improve geocaching.com" would go away.

Suggestions for new features at Geocaching.com are often made because someone wants to accomplish some task and hasn't figured out a way to do it (or in the case of GeoBigDawg, just because they like making suggestions). Often the task can be accomplished already either using an existing feature that the requester missed or by using a third party tool or add on. People post instructions to use GSAK, Google, or a Greasemonkey script because they are trying to be helpful to the person making the request by giving them a way to accomplish the task. Why it is that some want to interpret this helpfulness as meaning that forum users are simply taking the attitude that there should never be any enhancements to Geocaching.com is beyond me.

A suggestion is made. People express their opinions as to whether or not this useful. Some people suggest workarounds. Some people suggest refinements to the original suggestion. Some of the suggestions get implemented on Geocaching.com, but often this takes time to get done. Sometimes someone can write a Greasemonkey script or a small GPX application in a few hours and put it out for those who want something right away.

Edited by tozainamboku

Often the task can be accomplished already either using an existing feature that the requester missed or by using a third party tool or add on.

That's true, but does not hold in this case. In my opinion, a translation tool that yields reasonable results for cache descriptions does not exist. Tools like the one offered by google deliver junk/bogus.

Cezanne

That's true, but does not hold in this case. In my opinion, a translation tool that yields reasonable results for cache descriptions does not exist. Tools like the one offered by google deliver junk/bogus.

Yes, there's no point in making it easier for people to get confused.

Here's an example from a French cache. The hint was "La boite est du côté est de l'arbre" which should become "The box is on the east side of the tree". Google gets that right, but whichever automatic translation service the cache placer used, came up with "The limps is on the highly-rated is the tree". This was duly copy/pasted into the hint as the English version. :mad: