Cache owner already filled in

Puppy Dawg

Firefox does that for you after you type in a few letters....or even better it can save a passcard or whatever its called for you. Wait, I think that's only for logins and passwords though.

Internet Explorer does the same thing...I just hit the down arrow and there are all my previous responses (even if it's only one, in this case) to choose from...no lengthy typing required, just a down arrow and [Enter]. I guess that's too difficult for GBD. :rolleyes:

How about when we submit a cache, the 'Cache Owner' field is already filled in with whatever we typed in it last? eg, it is already filled in with 'GeoBigDawg and $$tracker' if that was what I typed last.

Just wondering how the site would keep track of that information?

:rolleyes:

I'm always surprised that it doesn't simply default to my username.

I could see that, but why would we want to spend the tech dollar to maintain the last typed entry from the last submitted cache. How long should gc.com buffer buddy cacher titles?

The site doesn't have to. Most browsers are already doing it for you, unless you have explicitly changed your seciurity settings.

If you double click in any field of any form that you have used in the past, you will usually get a list of your past entries.

I'm always surprised that it doesn't simply default to my username.

I could see that, but why would we want to spend the tech dollar to maintain the last typed entry from the last submitted cache. How long should gc.com buffer buddy cacher titles?

The site doesn't have to. Most browsers are already doing it for you, unless you have explicitly changed your seciurity settings.

If you double click in any field of any form that you have used in the past, you will usually get a list of your past entries.

Yeah. Kind of makes you wonder if the OP is trolling for a response.

How about when we submit a cache, the 'Cache Owner' field is already filled in with whatever we typed in it last? eg, it is already filled in with 'GeoBigDawg and $$tracker' if that was what I typed last.

Actually the cache owner field is already filled in and you can't change it. It defaults to the username when you logged in (don't forget the sock puppets!). Now did you mean the Placed by field? I would prefer it to stay blank like it is now. Sometimes, just for fun you know, I put something else than my username there. I adopted a cache named Harry Potter Cache, seemed like a good idea to put the placed by as Sirius Black. But if you click on that it always takes you to my profile.

Jim

If I placed the cache by myself - I just list it as StarBrand.

If the whole family was involved - I list it as Team StarBrand.

If one of my kids did the hide - I use thier name.

I think if it was always defaulted to the account name - less people would ever change it to reflect anything else. I kind of like that just about anything can be typed in there.

If I placed the cache by myself - I just list it as StarBrand.

If the whole family was involved - I list it as Team StarBrand.

If one of my kids did the hide - I use thier name.

I think if it was always defaulted to the account name - less people would ever change it to reflect anything else. I kind of like that just about anything can be typed in there.

Having a sensible default (such as your username) prefilled in would not prevent you from changing it. I think as it is, a lot of people just enter their username into the field. Those that want to change it would still be able to.

Having the default be your last entered cache name wouldn't be terribly difficult (just add another column to the table that holds profile information... the "last placed by" field could then be held onto indefinitely for very little extra storage cost. However, I personally would still prefer username.

I actually think this would be easy. You are logged in. Have that field just grab the login name and put that in there automatically. I don't care either way, but it seems easy enough to do.

Funny historical note...

I remember way back when, the name of the cache was automatically filled in with "Geocache". Some would not change that, so several old caches are simply called "Geocache". If you see an old cache with that name, that is why.

Well, I *was* about to say that if you needed a feature like that, you might be putting out too many caches. But then I took a look at your profile and instead will suggest that they also default the coordinates to 528 feet from the last cache you hid! ;)

(just kidding, of course! Glad you're keeping the local cachers busy!)

I'm pretty sure that the "Who placed the cache?" field was filled in with your username, by default, until some time ago. I presume that it was changed for some subtle reason, but I would vote for the default value to be restored, and I only have 10 letters to type. (Yes, I know I could copy/paste it from the "You are logged in as" field at the top of the page. ;))

Funny historical note...

I remember way back when, the name of the cache was automatically filled in with "Geocache". Some would not change that, so several old caches are simply called "Geocache". If you see an old cache with that name, that is why.

I should have named my cache I placed yesterday "Geocache" just for the fun of it ;) Guess now I'll have to go hide another one ;)

Btw...when I hid my first cache it was this way but I did change the name.

Edit to add. I'll only do it if you approve it;-)

Edited by Shilo

I'm pretty sure that the "Who placed the cache?" field was filled in with your username, by default, until some time ago.

I thought so too. I think it stopped around August last year (about the same time that UK post code search got messed up- that was never fixed either! :( )

Mark

I'm pretty sure that the "Who placed the cache?" field was filled in with your username, by default, until some time ago.

I thought so too. I think it stopped around August last year (about the same time that UK post code search got messed up- that was never fixed either! :P )

Mark

Third that...maybe less than a year ago.

Doesn't really bother me since once I type an 'a', Firefox displays all the entries I have ever typed there that start with 'a' (not case sensitive), and I can choose from the list.