Extreme Caching

:rolleyes: OK! I realize that there is a place for Wal Mart Lamp-post caches, guard-rail caches, and park & grabs! There are folks in the sport w/ physical-limitations, etc., who thru no fault of their own, are limited to these caches.

With that said, I am sick of the ultra-easy cache. I am now looking at going after extreme caches. Example: A multi, with 10 locactions, along a 9-mile section of a major trail system in the mountains. This cache was placed in 2002, and thus far only about 7-folks have completed it. I can not wait to add my name to the "I Found it" log :huh:

This is only one-example of the type I am now interested in.

Question: Do any of you folks enjoy such challenging caches? (In case you wonder, I am 62-yo and am fighting Bladder Cancer, so I am not a young fellow, by any means)

Thanks for your answers and Happy Caching!

Question: Do any of you folks enjoy such challenging caches? (In case you wonder, I am 62-yo and am fighting Bladder Cancer, so I am not a young fellow, by any means)

Yes. Unfortunately, because of work and home duties, I rarely get the chance to complete such caches.

Also here.

Edited by J-Way

Yes. Unfortunately, because of work and home duties, I rarely get the chance to complete such caches.

Also here.

Checked out your list! Wow! Hats off to you. Will consider trying some of them. Thanks

:rolleyes: OK! I realize that there is a place for Wal Mart Lamp-post caches, guard-rail caches, and park & grabs! There are folks in the sport w/ physical-limitations, etc., who thru no fault of their own, are limited to these caches.

With that said, I am sick of the ultra-easy cache. I am now looking at going after extreme caches. Example: A multi, with 10 locactions, along a 9-mile section of a major trail system in the mountains. This cache was placed in 2002, and thus far only about 7-folks have completed it. I can not wait to add my name to the "I Found it" log :huh:

This is only one-example of the type I am now interested in.

Thanks for your answers and Happy Caching!

10-parter, 9-mile hike? Sure, sounds great!

Edited by GeoBigDawg

We do them all, but the kind you mention are the ones we seek out. We get the rest along the way.

There's a great 10 part multi not far from us in the Kickapoo Reserve of southwestern Wisconsin. The few who have done it say it's one of their favorites, and it's still one of ours.

We get a kick out of the smileys, but the real reason we do this is because of the discovery and adventure. We created our own challenge cache that requires finders to find 10 favorite caches that have been big adventures for us. So far, one person has "cached" in. (We take those who complete it and a guest out to dinner). We thought it would encourage more people to try these, but it's been slow going.

Checked out your list! Wow! Hats off to you. Will consider trying some of them. Thanks
Just for the record, those aren't my lists. I just knew where to find them. And if you check out the caches on the lists, you'll probably find that they're on other people's lists. You can quickly build up a large list of your own that way.

Also here.

And you're not above the occasional Mafia puzzle.
Only if it involves goats... :rolleyes:

I'll do just about any cache! Whatever strikes my fancy that day. My sister and I will claim we hiked the Presi Traverse (24 miles with 9000' of climb) for the 5/1 virtual, and one traditional. But actually, I was hiking the AT, and she was peak bagging. (We were in our mid fifties then.)

climbed Mount Tammany in the Delaware Water Gap on Sunday. Only 1100' of rocky climb in a mile or so. Logged two caches, and had a great time!

No. I think I'm past the ten-mile hikes like yours. But you never know! There's a benchmark about a thousand feet above the Delaware River in Pennsylvania that keeps calling me... One of these days!

What is a mafia puzzle?
The caching group around Starkville, MS, is known as the Starkville Mafia, and they come up with awesome puzzle caches. Also, it's sometimes fun to work the mafia association into cache logs (1, 2). My parents live in the area so I visit occasionally, and try out a few puzzles each trip.

Another search suggestion would be to create a Pocket query using a terrain rating filter. For example I have a terrain greater than 3.5 within 100 miles from home PQ generated for the days I'm feeling adventurous. You may have to weed out a few over-rated listings and a few 5 star special equipment terrain ratings but should give you a good idea of challenging caches within your radius.

Good luck with the cancer treatments and I hope future prognoses only get better.

I have done BWT's awsum Acrophobia cache and agree that it is one of the most memorible caches that I have done, but if you are looking for an great hiking cache, with about 15 stages and every stage a history lesson in itself, you have to try PAFARMBOYS amazing [GCXAPJ "RACCOON LOOP.....HIKING 20 MILES FOR ONE SMILEY?" I believe it will be everything you are looking for in an extreme cache!!!

BTW: I am a 60 year old cacher myself.-------- OLD GUYS RULE!!!!!!

Edited by skyraider
The "AT" 9-mile Cache (multi with 10 film containers hidden on a 9-mile section of trail

A perfect definition of Hell. 9 film cans along a trail. (sigh...) :ph34r::lol:

All were EVIL hides, in the Blue Ridge Mtn's. After I finished, I e-mailed the CO and asked him "the next time you hide film containers, please hide them in an ammo-can"! :P

You would not have that problem with [GCXAPJ "RACCOON LOOP.....HIKING 20 MILES FOR ONE SMILEY?" Every stage is an ammo can or something of a similar size. PAFARMBOY even includes a picture page in the first stage with photos of every subsequent stage so you do not have to spend too much time looking.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bf-5b9827e06bc1

That's about the toughest I've done. Not so extreme for you maybe.

A steep cliff covered in loose rock and scree. Also a large amount of broken glass as some seem to come here and set up bottles for target practice.

I've done a few boat caches this year, but they are not really extreme either. Just cool.

We do have at least one scuba cache here.

We have a lot of caches at fire lookouts. (there's even a challenge cache of firelookouts)

There are a number of challenge caches that can make things tougher, but still probably not the challenge you're looking for I guess.