Li'l Dreamer 2009 - New versions available, see post #138

anne.and.eli

Hey all,

I've been wanting to make a geocoin for a while now, so this weekend I sat down and started to make one. However, my muse took over and I ended up creating something totally different than I was expecting, and not my usual style at all.

I'm pretty sure this started because I was talking to Gillianms about the general lack of unicorn coins. Add to this the general funk in the US right now due to the economy and apparently my muse wanted to create some cute optimism.

unicornfrontback2.png

I've been talking to companies about producing it, and because it's not that complex, I think I can actually afford it!

The question is, would anyone be interested in it? Should that matter? It's not the typical geocoin style and it isn't geocoin related (I suppose I could put a micro on one side and an ammo can on the other, but not sure it would fit).

Thoughts welcome. I have a billion other ideas, so I don't mind scrapping this one if there's no real interest. :rolleyes:

To be honest, this coin does not fit my collecting style. However, that being said, I think it is an adorable idea and would consider getting one for my son or another child. It would be great to add to a kid's mission and I have to say, I think the message of the coin is a good one (though I do consider myself a realist vs. an optimist - :rolleyes:).

You could easily do this in soft enamels and a 1.5" size to make it really affordable without detracting from the design (imo). Perhaps with special translucent version as your AE??

Good luck with your decisions!

Oh.. it is so cute!!! It tells about dreams... not to give up in our dreams.... I like it!!!! :huh:

The horse wants to be a unicorn... that great symbol....

The horse has mendings.... Does this show that the horse even if it is poor it still has a dream...a great dream....

...or it shows that the horse is a doll who dreams to be the best of the horses.... a unicorn??? (reminds me of Pinocio! :rolleyes: )

Hmm.. I probably have a lot of imagination... right??? :D

Very good job anne! It is going to be a lovely coin!

Edited by GATOULIS

Thanks for the feedback so far! And don't worry, I'm not offended if it doesn't fit your style! :huh: Emma suggested I try out soft and hard enamels, and I may see if glitter/translucents add or detract.

This is so not what I envisioned my first coin to look like, but what the muse says, goes! :rolleyes: (And even though I drew it, my heart goes out to the little guy!)

As always, be mindful of the copyright laws. Words are copyrighted as much as artwork is. The person who wrote those lyrics, E. Y. Harburg, passed away in 1981, but the copyright may still belong to someone, a record company or the heirs to the estate. It never hurts to ask for permission to use it.

Hey all,

I've been wanting to make a geocoin for a while now, so this weekend I sat down and started to make one. However, my muse took over and I ended up creating something totally different than I was expecting, and not my usual style at all.

I'm pretty sure this started because I was talking to Gillianms about the general lack of unicorn coins. Add to this the general funk in the US right now due to the economy and apparently my muse wanted to create some cute optimism.

unicornfrontback2.png

I've been talking to companies about producing it, and because it's not that complex, I think I can actually afford it!

The question is, would anyone be interested in it? Should that matter? It's not the typical geocoin style and it isn't geocoin related (I suppose I could put a micro on one side and an ammo can on the other, but not sure it would fit).

Thoughts welcome. I have a billion other ideas, so I don't mind scrapping this one if there's no real interest. :rolleyes:

I saw this coin and smiled...I haven't done a lot of that this week...so firstly, thanks.

Would I be interested in it, absolutely.

Should that matter...if you're looking for a coin to sell, probably..if you're looking for a coin that you are proud of, a coin that makes you feel good, then no, what anyone else thinks should not matter.

Geocaching related, no, but neither is my Kathy's Coin, and I remain very proud of that coin.

Whatever your final decision, I look forward to seeing your coin!

ILYK
200px-VelveteenRabbitCover.PNG

First thing I thought of also...

"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

You already know I LOVE your coin and would be first in line for buying it. :rolleyes:

Eartha's comment about copyright is a good point. It looks like the copyright on Over the Rainbow is owned by Rhino, which is a subsidiary record label of Warner Music.

The quote is perfect for the coin, though, and one of my favorite movie songs too!

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone! I've decided to go forward with the coin, so I'll update you all as more happens. :huh:

Eartha: Thanks so much for pointing out the lyrics, I hadn't considered that at all! I'll chase that down, and if it doesn't work, I have a couple of other quotes I really like that are not lyrics.

“Follow your dreams, for as you dream you shall become.”

"Nothing happens unless first we dream."

I think the first one is very apt here.

Re: Velveteen Rabbit - I LOVED that book as a child. I should go reread it. :D It's been too long!

Re: Personal coin - I briefly considered it, but it's not what I had in mind for a personal coin. I would want to make sure Eli is represented in a personal coin (since he's 1/2 my geocaching team!) and there would likely be cats involved in a personal coin. :rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for the feedback so far! And don't worry, I'm not offended if it doesn't fit your style! ;) Emma suggested I try out soft and hard enamels, and I may see if glitter/translucents add or detract.

This is so not what I envisioned my first coin to look like, but what the muse says, goes! ;) (And even though I drew it, my heart goes out to the little guy!)

My opinion...I don't think a coin like this needs to be all fancied up with embelishments(glitter/translucent) I thing it will be GREAT in colors that a kid might use as crayons.

I'm a big fan of Black Nickel for a coin like this. Anything that looks like a coloring book should have the black lines, I think. Great job, I like it a lot!!

I agree. BN would be perfect for this coin. :D

Do I hear hints of a V2 here??

B):D;)

I can definitely see a child loving this coin.

Yes! ;)

My opinion...I don't think a coin like this needs to be all fancied up with embelishments(glitter/translucent) I thing it will be GREAT in colors that a kid might use as crayons.

Maybe glitter on the unicorn horn.... And hard enamels would look much better than soft. IMHO... :D

CF30

Yes, I think white glitter for the unihorn would be great! Makes the sunny dside even sparklier :-)

It really is a very cute coin! Makes me think of when I was a kid and a big fan of the 'my little ponies'

Hmmm.... this is really bad, I just googled some pictures of the version 1 my little pony series and I still remember all the names ;) Cherry Blossom, Apple Jack, Bubbles, Cotton Candy, Seashell, Moonstone, Butterscotch.... ;)

I just got revision 5 of the mint art today, and while there are a couple changes still to make, they are fairly minor, and overall I'm really happy with the current incarnation!

So I figured I'd give you all a peek at what's been brewing. Also, I saved all 5 versions of the mint art, and was wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing the progression? As a new designer, I find it all fascinating, but I'm not sure if it's all old hat to the rest of you. :blink:

unicornv5sm.jpg

I won't be doing pre-orders, this is my first coin and I'd prefer to have coin in hand before opening sales.

Given that, uh, how does one go about selling coins? I don't remember seeing it in the faq, so if I missed it, please let me know!

Please don't list coin maker sites, I don't want this thread getting closed. I'm already working with a company but they only sell partner coins on their site.

I'll post the progression pics in a bit. I need to resize them as they are quite large. :blink:

I won't be doing pre-orders, this is my first coin and I'd prefer to have coin in hand before opening sales.

Given that, uh, how does one go about selling coins? I don't remember seeing it in the faq, so if I missed it, please let me know!

Please don't list coin maker sites, I don't want this thread getting closed. I'm already working with a company but they only sell partner coins on their site.

I'll post the progression pics in a bit. I need to resize them as they are quite large. :D

There is another thread going, titled "Geocoins wanted for art exibition"...that person would certainly be interested in the images of the progression. Take a look at it.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=229631

As far as how to sell the coins without having your own sales site...No experience with that, but you can have a sale right here and take the orders through email, or you can list them on ebay?

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Oh.. it is so cute!!! It tells about dreams... not to give up in our dreams.... I like it!!!! B)

The horse wants to be a unicorn... that great symbol....

The horse has mendings.... Does this show that the horse even if it is poor it still has a dream...a great dream....

...or it shows that the horse is a doll who dreams to be the best of the horses.... a unicorn??? (reminds me of Pinocio! :D )

Hmm.. I probably have a lot of imagination... right??? :D

Very good job anne! It is going to be a lovely coin!

Hi Anne. I looked at this coin earlier today and to be truthful it didn't do anything for me. However, several times today Gatoulis' interpretation of it crept back into my thoughts and each time I thought about it I kept liking the coin more and more. What does that mean? That means that thanks to Gatoulis' very thoughtful interpretation I now can tell you I've done a complete 180 and I love it and would buy a few when they come out as long as my financial status hasn't taken a negative hit between now and then.

Thanks for designing the coin and thank you Gatoulis for opening my eyes to the meaning of the coin. Yeah, I know I'm terrible at understanding even obvious things that aren't written out in very clear black and white and there was enough symbolism in it that I totally missed the whole meaning of it. That's not a negative reflection on the coin it's just explaining why it took Gatoulis' post to look at it in an entirely new way. Again good job and hopefully I can snag 2 or 3 when they go on sale! B)

Gato's got a gift with that. B) The design is about a horse who is maybe not much to look at (rough mane/tail, patches and mends) but who dreams of being a unicorn (the tied on horn) and being able to achieve his dream. B)

The front has him looking fairly sad and the back he is happy! Yah, I'm a big sap. :D

@ThirstyMick, I'd LOVE to trade coins with you!! I just need to get these through production first. :D I'm planning to do an AE version, and those might be trade only. I'll see how it looks when I get the samples. :D