Geocache found by snorkling diver at La Jolla Cove?

M2

I received this email via the SDGeocachers photo gallery (www.sdgeocachers.org). Does it sound familiar to anyone?

I just returned from snorkeling at La Jolla Cove, where I had found a 1 1/2" PVC Geocache waterproof test in about 15' of water, to the west of the swim buoys, between the edge of kelp bed and rocks. The words "GEOCACHE", "UNSCREW HERE", and "OPEN ABOVE WATER" in black sharpie. Silly me, I took it home and opened it, only to find a napkin with the words "GEOCACHE WATER-PROOF TEST" and a Jeppsen US(LO) Aero chart, 9 and 10 (near Las Vegas) and a zinc finish nail.

If you know who set it there, let them know it was dry, and it's at my house if they want it back.

Or if you want to forward this email to any Geocahe lists or friends please feel free.

At this point in time, I don't plan to bring it back or put it back... as there weren't any instructions on the outside of the PVC that said something to the effect ... 'please leave here' ... or even a contact number on the inside... so if someone in your .org wants it back or wanted to know the results...

I have the name, email address, and phone number of the diver who found it if you'd like to contact them for more details. Email me at M2@sdgeocachers.org.

Looks like our past time is moving offshore!

M2

I received this email via the SDGeocachers photo gallery (www.sdgeocachers.org). Does it sound familiar to anyone?

I just returned from snorkeling at La Jolla Cove, where I had found a 1 1/2" PVC Geocache waterproof test in about 15' of water, to the west of the swim buoys, between the edge of kelp bed and rocks. The words "GEOCACHE", "UNSCREW HERE", and "OPEN ABOVE WATER" in black sharpie. Silly me, I took it home and opened it, only to find a napkin with the words "GEOCACHE WATER-PROOF TEST" and a Jeppsen US(LO) Aero chart, 9 and 10 (near Las Vegas) and a zinc finish nail.

If you know who set it there, let them know it was dry, and it's at my house if they want it back.

Or if you want to forward this email to any Geocahe lists or friends please feel free.

At this point in time, I don't plan to bring it back or put it back... as there weren't any instructions on the outside of the PVC that said something to the effect ... 'please leave here' ... or even a contact number on the inside... so if someone in your .org wants it back or wanted to know the results...

I have the name, email address, and phone number of the diver who found it if you'd like to contact them for more details. Email me at M2@sdgeocachers.org.

M2

Check out this cache. Cache

Edited by SD-Weiss

M2

Message sent to owner of the cache. Thanks!

I just returned from snorkeling at La Jolla Cove <snip>

Message sent to owner of the cache. Thanks!

Finder and owner were located and put in touch with each other. Thanks for the help!

...Geocache waterproof test in about 15' of water...

Heck, I found a Geocache in deeper water than that and got it while free diving with about 6 feet of visibility! :D

But I digress. My question is this. Why would anyone waste their time making a 'water proof cache' that they intend to place into water? The condensation alone will rot a standard paper log. We use Rite-In-The-Rain water proof paper. I had a sheet in my fish tank for a month and would pull it out, sign it and drop it back in when people inquired about it. The paper I use is the 'cheep' stuff and I use a laser printer so the ink is set on it. Good stuff. :D

Oh, I think you should post your 'find' (or take/keep) on the nearest Geocache log to be fair to the person that really owns that cache. If they don't reply in a month, feel free to place it over here in CVC because underwater caches don't scare us! :(